• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Eastern Portugal got some snow last night; I swear there's more snow here than at CBK or anywhere in the Poconos. That's not saying much!!

I'm hoping the weather back home turns around. I'm kind of regretting my season pass purchase.
If its already paid for use it. There is skiing in the Pocono's be it limited The rumor mill has a pattern change taking place soon in our favor. I would hold any judgment's on next years passes till after February. The example shown above was 1 trail and like I said it actually skied well. I took the picture for laughs. Other trails looked like this.

IMG_3591.JPG

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm reconsidering mine next year for Blue. We have a baby on the way, so I'm not sure when I'll get time to go. It's a chore to get here with a 1.25 hr commute each way. Big time commitment even for a short session. My MIL lives overseas; we're in the process of getting her a green card to live here with us and help with the baby. If that comes through in time it will definitely help my ski season :ogbiggrin:
That sounds like some strong motivation to help make that happen. ;)

Although it might mean more crowds for Blue, I’m really hoping the they get on IKON for next year even if it is just for a few days and save me from buying both again.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
That sounds like some strong motivation to help make that happen. ;)

Although it might mean more crowds for Blue, I’m really hoping the they get on IKON for next year even if it is just for a few days and save me from buying both again.
Since they are run by the same company, I don't believe you will see either Blue or Camelback on Ikon. Heck they can't even offer a pass good at both. I don't think there is any need for them to be on Ikon as they seem to have a captive enough audience as it is. To me it wouldn't make any difference because its merely location, (I'm in NNJ) but if I lived up in Pocono's a combo Blue/Camelback pass would a no brainer.

I have an Ikon as well but hardly use it here in the east. A weekend at Killington (c/o of friends) and a scheduled weekend in early March at Loon. It's all about the west to me these days.

Next year? Too early to tell. Full ikon for certain. I have a season pass at Granby Ranch Colorado with my HOA fees on the unit we purchased out there. They are affiliated with Indy Pass (+ some other agreements) so I will probably get an add on there. We are getting closer to the end of the corporate and working tunnel but are not there yet. If things remain the same I probably get another Camelback Pass because its here (or at least in the back yard), and the thought of driving up to New England becomes less appealing every year.

Gotta make an edit. Just read a forecast of like 40" by Feb 3rd (I think) for a lot of the big boys up in Northern New England. Maybe I need to reassess the driving and use that Ikon a little more

Last edited:

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Okay, I need this for my own sanity after all the depressing talk about the weather and skiing elsewhere. (Maybe the whole 4-pack to forget about it all)

17066423222302.png

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Since they are run by the same company, I don't believe you will see either Blue or Camelback on Ikon. Heck they can't even offer a pass good at both. I don't think there is any need for them to be on Ikon as they seem to have a captive enough audience as it is. To me it wouldn't make any difference because its merely location, (I'm in NNJ) but if I lived up in Pocono's a combo Blue/Camelback pass would a no brainer.

I have an Ikon as well but hardly use it here in the east. A weekend at Killington (c/o of friends) and a scheduled weekend in early March at Loon. It's all about the west to me these days.

Next year? Too early to tell. Full ikon for certain. I have a season pass at Granby Ranch Colorado with my HOA fees on the unit we purchased out there. They are affiliated with Indy Pass (+ some other agreements) so I will probably get an add on there. We are getting closer to the end of the corporate and working tunnel but are not there yet. If things remain the same I probably get another Camelback Pass because its here (or at least in the back yard), and the thought of driving up to New England becomes less appealing every year.

Gotta make an edit. Just read a forecast of like 40" by Feb 3rd (I think) for a lot of the big boys up in Northern New England. Maybe I need to reassess the driving and use that Ikon a little more
But isn't the whole purpose of offering the multi pass a way to get people to travel to the bigger resorts and dump lots of money? Offering that at Blue, as opposed to their regular season pass would certainly do that. It would also turn the mountain into an even bigger shitshow on weekends.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
But isn't the whole purpose of offering the multi pass a way to get people to travel to the bigger resorts and dump lots of money? Offering that at Blue, as opposed to their regular season pass would certainly do that. It would also turn the mountain into an even bigger shitshow on weekends.
But they don't need to do that. They are getting the crowds regardless. They can charge their 600 plus for their pass and get it just due to their location. Also don't know if Blue is payed parking yet but CBK does and the lots are still full.

I use the my Ikon pass as you say and that is as a travel tool. But you could use it unlimited at Stratton, Sugarbush, and Snowshoe (I think, I never go that way). But none of those are local and having the local option allows me to get so much more skiing in. Like a local golf course or beach the damage for the pass is worth it.

Last edited:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blue certainly doesn’t need Ikon to fill its lift chairs. I view as more the other way around… pulling in those who might only ski the Pocono’s and getting them to travel to their other resorts out west or even in NE. Whether or not it will happen we will see. Im not holding my breath. Camelback has been under KSL for two years now and it hasn’t happened for them yet.

Blue did offer to tack on a Camelback pass for another $75 a month or so ago. Was the same offered for Camelback pass holders? Im coming from SJ and would have to go by Blue to get there so I didn’t go for it. No paid parking at Blue as of yet. Only switch this year was cutting out the 1/2 day tickets. That made a lot of people unhappy but they did reverse that just yesterday and are offering them again.

I went full IKON this year but had plans to ski Killington at least 6 days and spend a week in Colorado with an old roommate who is also an IKON pass holder. The math made sense.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Blue certainly doesn’t need Ikon to fill its lift chairs. I view as more the other way around… pulling in those who might only ski the Pocono’s and getting them to travel to their other resorts out west or even in NE. Whether or not it will happen we will see. Im not holding my breath. Camelback has been under KSL for two years now and it hasn’t happened for them yet.

Blue did offer to tack on a Camelback pass for another $75 a month or so ago. Was the same offered for Camelback pass holders? Im coming from SJ and would have to go by Blue to get there so I didn’t go for it. No paid parking at Blue as of yet. Only switch this year was cutting out the 1/2 day tickets. That made a lot of people unhappy but they did reverse that just yesterday and are offering them again.

I went full IKON this year but had plans to ski Killington at least 6 days and spend a week in Colorado with an old roommate who is also an IKON pass holder. The math made sense.
Good to hear about the 4 hour tickets. Too bad they advertise it as starting at $50, but the only $50 day is March 4th. All others are $60 and up. Since I tend to get bored at Blue, I prefer the 4 hour tickets.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good to hear about the 4 hour tickets. Too bad they advertise it as starting at $50, but the only $50 day is March 4th. All others are $60 and up. Since I tend to get bored at Blue, I prefer the 4 hour tickets.
I haven’t looked at what they cost yet but I assumed 80 to 90 on the weekends. I have a season pass but I liked the 1/2 tickets for my kids. We normally only do mornings on weekends before the crowds get to be too much and they just don’t get out enough to justify a pass. My oldest is fine going once a year. My youngest is into it but the 530 am alarms doesn’t jive well with a teen’su need for sleep. I would grab her an ikon pass in a second if it covered Blue and a trip to VT. I really wish they’d bring back the early season deals for 3 tickets for $99 but those days are gone,

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
You guys have hit the nail on the head, they have zero incentive to accomodate people with cheaper options. My bet for the revival of the 4 hour tickets is with the crappy conditions, they arent getting as many walk-ups this season. Season pass holders are probably sitting out more days than usual because of the conditions. So I would bet the food sales are way down.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
One other thing with the Blue/Camelback is they are run by a division of KSL. Alterra (who issues the Ikon Pass) has a relationship (not clear how it works) with some KSL properties or divisions but not all.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
One other thing with the Blue/Camelback is they are run by a division of KSL. Alterra (who issues the Ikon Pass) has a relationship (not clear how it works) with some KSL properties or divisions but not all.
Yeah, it's pretty confusing. I don't fully understand it myself: the ownership structure, business interests, motivations, etc. I think Alterra is not involved with Blue or Camelback because Alterra doesn't own those mountains; KSL does. Alterra is a joint venture co-owned by KSL and Henry Crown Co. KSL went ahead and bought Blue and Camelback on its own (or at least without Henry Crown Co.), so it might make sense that Alterra isn't involved. Maybe it's like if you're in a band but release a solo album. Alterra is the band and Blue and Camelback are solo albums. At any rate, I'm assuming these different ownership interests matter. Maybe they don't matter and they have other reasons for what they do.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
At Blue today.

-Got there just before opening and pulled into a nice parking space in the valley right by the lift.

-Conditions were the best that groomers can groom from 8-10am. Firm, fast, and smooth all over the mountain.

-Conditions were bumped-up and spring-like after 10am. At this point there wasn't much of a carving opportunity, so I switched skis to the Dynastar M-Pro 90, a nice ski for 3D snow. My dad drove down from Scranton and we skied some runs together before he left.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back to back days this weekend. Sunday better then Saturday. Kill em when they deserve it,, praise em when they deserve it. Today is praise as they are being aggressive and making snow on several trails and trying to expand. Big Pocono/Uncle Bill's came on line this weekend and they are working on Nile Mile and the 2 front four that aren't open yet. Hopefully the weather turns in their favor.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
PSA:

Carve 4 Cancer Winter Festival
Where: Montage Mountain
When: Saturday, February 4th
Time: 10-5

https://g.co/kgs/x7SwAk

Please join us the 11th Annual Carve 4 Cancer Winter Festival to provide support for blood cancer patients during their battle.

This day-long event features live music by the fire pits, giveaways, raffles, vendors, and more! For the skiers and snowboarders, they will have slalom and rail jam competitions throughout the day. Bring the family, bring your friends, and enjoy a day dedicated to SHREDDING BLOOD CANCERS for the Live Like Brent Foundation!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online