• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. I never should have pushed the snow blower to the front of the garage in December. I think it was a curse.
5cf6c0d2-a558-4a2f-a818-32f584dea40e_text.gif

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had high hopes for this season.

With all the trips I had planned out West, I thought I might hit 50 days or more. Now it looks as if those trips will represent the total tally.

On the bright side, thank God I planned all those trips. And thank God my wife is my wife and supports my habit!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, same problem here.

The snow conditions this year have been hard on my knees. I think I'm going to not ski until I go to the Gathering in Utah. I'd rather have intact joints and not be in the best ski shape rather than risk a knee injury before the trip. Maybe after I get back home, winter will return to the east coast and I can ski better conditions. Ha. Not holding my breath!
Well at least we will not have to worry about you suffocating, I mean have you looked at the trees lately, some in my neighborhood are budding like it's spring!
Actually pointed out budding trees to others when I was in the Wissahickon gorge today!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well at least we will not have to worry about you suffocating, I mean have you looked at the trees lately, some in my neighborhood are budding like it's spring!
Actually pointed out budding trees to others when I was in the Wissahickon gorge today!
Fortunately, the trees up here aren't budding yet, but I saw some crocuses yesterday. If the fruit trees bud, that would be disastrous for our apple/peach/cherry crop.

Budding trees and flowers before there are pollinators out is not a good thing.

I read that the east coast of the US now has an average winter temperature 1 degree (not sure if in Celsius or Fahrenheit) higher than just a decade ago. Meanwhile, the Arctic this winter is 45 degrees above average. Yikes.

Although La Nina is causing a lot of the warmth in the east, climate change is the culprit behind the weakening jet stream which keeps any cold well to our north this year. :rolleyes:

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Budding trees and flowers before there are pollinators out is not a good thing

Our bees were flying like crazy yesterday.

Big risk for early budding is frost. Of which there will still be quite a few more.
I think we are all hoping for a prompt resumption of steady cold and snow, at least until April.

smt

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was still skiing in the Pocono's yesterday, snow was heavy but the weather was nice :cool: I'm up to 22 days in the Pocono's, (out of 27 days) and gonna push toward 40 over the next month before I go out west in March. For the most part things seem to be holding up ok and the hoses have not been pulled so I think they may continue to blow when given the opportunity. No bumps but not going to complain this season, just glad to have skiing. Rumors down the line that the season may not be over quite yet.

BaysideSkier

mike
Skier
We’re all hoping for winter to finally get here. I’m hoping to get out 6 more times by the end of the season. This weekend is out because of family commitments. I’m trying to finagle some mid week work days to go. The 3 hour trek from the South Jersey Shore doesn’t help either

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
Skied Blue Mt. for a few hours late in the afternoon into the evening. The cold snap Friday night was a life saver for them. Like most of the season some fresh manmade on top of ice. The popular trails did have a better cover of snow. Ranged from a few patches of packed powder to heavy piles of granular. Moguls on Barny's Bumps were is nice shape but icy. Vista and Paradise were showing a few large bare sections.

For being a ski holiday weekend it was busy but barely waited more than 2 minutes for a lift. Seemed like most of the crowds were sticking to Vista, Burma, and Paradise; bleeding onto Lazy Mile a little. Worked out great for skiing some of the more advanced trails.

Warms days in the forecast still but hopefully they can make snow overnight while it is cold.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
-Got my pass renewal email this morning for Blue. Prices went up, again, to $675 (up $25 from last year). You get a $50 gift card for renewing.

-I am uncertain about renewing my ski pass this year, as I will be a new parent and unsure if I will have the opportunity to use it. My child will be between 4-8 months old during the ski season. I understand that when you have a newborn, your priorities and schedule may change significantly, and it can be difficult to find the time to ski. If the ski resort offers 4-hour lift tickets, it may be more practical for me to purchase those instead. However, there is no guarantee that the resort will offer this option, as they did not offer it until late this season. Any thoughts?

-3 weeks since the MCL injury. Got a gravel bike to strengthen the knee. Feels great, especially after cycling. This upcoming weekend I may finally get out again at Blue.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the current day pass rate, you can ski 6 times before you "get ahead" with a pass. With a newborn, do you realistically think you'll get out more than that? That's the question you have to answer

I would be surprised if they offered 4 hour tickets....IMO the only reason they offered it was low attendance due to crappy conditions.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
-Got my pass renewal email this morning for Blue. Prices went up, again, to $675 (up $25 from last year). You get a $50 gift card for renewing.

-I am uncertain about renewing my ski pass this year, as I will be a new parent and unsure if I will have the opportunity to use it. My child will be between 4-8 months old during the ski season. I understand that when you have a newborn, your priorities and schedule may change significantly, and it can be difficult to find the time to ski. If the ski resort offers 4-hour lift tickets, it may be more practical for me to purchase those instead. However, there is no guarantee that the resort will offer this option, as they did not offer it until late this season. Any thoughts?

-3 weeks since the MCL injury. Got a gravel bike to strengthen the knee. Feels great, especially after cycling. This upcoming weekend I may finally get out again at Blue.

You're well ahead of many/most soon to be new parents in that you're thinking about the potential impacts. Sounds like your injury shouldn't be much of an issue for you in the future.

My son became a first timer 4.5 months ago. His wife was able to get a combined 18 weeks of family leave and PTO so no significant work/life balance issue until this past week. Plus she's a snowboarder and understands the pull of the slopes. He has an Epic Military pass and we have 3 hills within easy day trip distance. Still, he has gotten out only once with me and one other time on his own (combination loss of sleep, lousy local conditions, and desire to just be around home) and had to drop out of an annual week+ trip out west (wife nixed being away that long).

Be realistic. Talk with your partner about time/effort expectations. Infants can be time/energy black holes (especially ones that don't sleep through the night for many, many months). Do you have local help (family nearby and willing)?

What is your ski time vs cost break even ratio? Half day lift tickets, in my experience, are far more than half price.

Congratulations and best wishes for you and your expanding family.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Shawn as others have mentioned it’s probably a good time to sit down with your spouse and talk through what you both think is realistic and if that number of outings makes sense to go with a pass vs single day tickets. Those first few months can be a challenge or they could be relatively easy if everyone gets into a rhythm. I had one of each. :D Honestly for the one that was colicky my wife and I both set aside time for each of us to get out of the house while the other one took care of the infant. 1/2 day of skiing every other weekend might be doable. I pretty much do 1/2 days even now partially because of weekend crowds but also because I need to get home to run someone to practice or other activity. Having the pass helps me to not feel that I need to ski open to close. Parenthood can be a challenge but I wouldn’t give it up for anything at this point. Sounds like you are going to do great at it!

BaysideSkier

mike
Skier
@Shawn Congratulations to you and your family! That’s awesome. As others have said have a sit-down and realistically try to lay things out. With that being said things don’t go as planned more often than not when it comes to kids. You won‘t have regrets either way, it’s all good.

How long do you have to get the gift card/discount with the pass? Can you wait until closer to the season to see where things stand and get a pass then if it works in your favor? I don’t know how Blue works. I have a Camelback pass.

Glad your MCL is doing better. Mine is doing a lot better. I’ve been able to ski wearing a Shock Doctor maximum support hinged brace. It’s comfortable and offers good support. Hopefully you get out this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online