• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have plenty of days like that but generally blame my skiing :D
Maybe I am just too reliant on visual skiing, I like to be able to see about 100 feet in front of me. That way I can pick my turning points and not be surprised by the slopes lack of grooming.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey KSL. How about throwing us Camelback skiers a bone and letting us ski Blue till CBK opens? You let the older skiers have access to both mountains give us temporary access till you get it up and running.

How is it that Blue (no offense intended to Blue)is open before CBK when elevation wise Camelback is higher and a little colder then Blue. Me thinks too much put into the Bubble lift at the expense of snow making.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I HATE skiing in fog. Those that tell me to increase my skills to ski by braille can stuff it. ;)
Been there, done that. No fun for me. And I enjoy challenges. Just not that kind!

Sailing in fog is quite a bit scarier than skiing in fog, though.

New skis, new boot liners and first day out….my first few runs were very slow.

I’ve been caught in pea soup three times in sailboats and center consoles. Each time we had GPS/radar issues. Not fun.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey KSL. How about throwing us Camelback skiers a bone and letting us ski Blue till CBK opens? You let the older skiers have access to both mountains give us temporary access till you get it up and running.

How is it that Blue (no offense intended to Blue)is open before CBK when elevation wise Camelback is higher and a little colder then Blue. Me thinks too much put into the Bubble lift at the expense of snow making.
Blue has pretty good snowmaking predating KSL and they went at it hard this past week. I need to look back but I think 3 of the past four years they got open for Black Friday. I think they did add more this year which allowed them to open top to bottom. Without it we may have had to wait a few more weeks with the two doubles gone.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
My legs were really aching for some long, gentle cruisers yesterday. So I drew some up in Google Earth for a possible fantasy Blue Mountain terrain expansion. Also a big straight-down-the-fall-line trail. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like long cruisers. The big intersection "X" would have a tunnel.

Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 7.49.54 PM.png

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

Blue has pretty good snowmaking predating KSL and they went at it hard this past week. I need to look back but I think 3 of the past four years they got open for Black Friday. I think they did add more this year which allowed them to open top to bottom. Without it we may have had to wait a few more weeks with the two doubles gone.

Shot is not at Blue. Same company running both resorts. I have no problems with keeping them apart on daily basis and off Ikon. However, pre-opening of both resorts they could throw us the bone and give us access to the other. Do the same on the other half of the season where I believe do to (again not a shot at Blue) elevation (Camelback is a higher point) and exposure (CBK faces due north, Blue northeast) Camelback holds cover better. Camelback could actually almost always stay open longer then they do. Actually they could (and here I go as a forum poster spending other peoples money) set up a "Superstar type" scenario with Cliffhanger, (which holds snow very well) Trails End Grill and Stevenson, ( another subject for another time) Old management used to have a day after Blue and others closed where they honored season pass holders for a day. Sometimes customer relations are important and KSL could win friends.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is strictly my opinion...but with what I have been seeing at CBK the past 4 or 5 years, I don't think they see the need to "win friends". Both places are crowded on weekends, they are investing in infrastructure to support those crowds, and if you decide not to ski there, move aside as there are 3 people behind you that want to. And at a very nice price for them. More ancillary charges, less discounts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blue start charging for "Premium parking" in the next few years

Things have definitely changed...

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree fog is not my idea of fun, a few years back I had a fog day up at Killington and just couldn't get my skiing together.
I get vertigo. It’s really disorienting. The last time I hit fog, I had just gotten off the tram at Snowbird. I went right to the ski patrol shack, waited half an hour while playing with their patrol dogs, and then skied down with a patrol member. I was by myself and no way was I navigating that alone. I *could* ski Blue by braille, easily, but it’s still no fun. Skiing is supposed to be fun!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied at Belleayre once in fog so thick, you could see less than 3 feet in front of you...almost mis-stepped and took a tumble down a run because I didn't see the edge. Not fun.

One trip to Powder Mtn, I was skiing an untracked slope that had no vegetation on it in a snowstorm. Started getting vertigo on that as there was no indication of what was up or down. Not a comfortable feeling, but the skiing was so awesome I toughed it out LOL

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is strictly my opinion...but with what I have been seeing at CBK the past 4 or 5 years, I don't think they see the need to "win friends". Both places are crowded on weekends, they are investing in infrastructure to support those crowds, and if you decide not to ski there, move aside as there are 3 people behind you that want to. And at a very nice price for them. More ancillary charges, less discounts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blue start charging for "Premium parking" in the next few years

Things have definitely changed...
I’d say CBK has a slightly higher number of attendees, due to its location close to I-80, an easier drive from the NYC area. Last President’s weekend, the line of traffic to CBK backed up along I-80 by Tannersville. I was crazy and went to Blue, there was no line of traffic and I was able to find a spot (albeit on the outer edge of the lot) around 11AM that morning.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Anybody doing the WNEP ski card this year? $100 until today ($120 after) for one lift ticket to Montage, Shawnee, Big Bear, Sawmill, Swain, and Tussey. With blackout dates. My dad and I did it maybe 8 years ago. It was cool to see the smaller ski areas in the region.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
A personal take on Blue opening this weekend is it was done as a trial-run to assure the plan and facilities needed to do top-to-bottom skiing function as planned. The changes to Blue this year are massive, just can not compare to whatever happened in the past. What has not changed is the physical location remains in an area plagued with warm weather and rain through December. Don't expect Blue to fully open until the extended January cold wether begins.
Props to Blue management for all the changes and for taking advantage of a unique extended cold front for opening top to bottom at Thanksgiving. How long they stay open is an open question.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
^care to point out details, for those of us not recognition-level familiar with Elk?
What's cool about the imagery is the stark relief between what Elk planted (everything green) vs. what was already there (everything brown).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I see. I was taking the brown bits for simply being image filtered (like Google does do), and blaming the green on sloppy filtering.

(Which it does have some record of being).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor