• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Coverage looking thin at Blue right now.

Rain forecasted for tomorrow night. Then two nights with lows in the mid-20's. Hopefully they'll blow snow then.

Then rain forecasted for Saturday with a high in the 50's. Sunday looks good though. It'd be nice to get out again this early in the season.

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 5.21.10 PM.png

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Has Montage announced any opening info? I’ve been buried in work the past few weeks but thinking of escaping north this weekend. I know Elk hasn’t announced a date yet.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Coverage looking thin at Blue right now.

Rain forecasted for tomorrow night. Then two nights with lows in the mid-20's. Hopefully they'll blow snow then.

Then rain forecasted for Saturday with a high in the 50's. Sunday looks good though. It'd be nice to get out again this early in the season.

View attachment 184482
I'm sort of not paying much attention to Blue right now, on purpose. Though my boots feel dialed in and my red SkiTalk Siderals are sitting here ready to go, I'm being picky. Though, if enough people are going to show up one day, maybe I'll succumb to peer pressure!

I made the mistake of opening ABasin's email. Drool.

Opening a PA ski resort in November, even if late November, is risky.

Last edited:
TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
No word yet.

Montage usually opens mid-to-late December, most years. Average opening date of December 17.

View attachment 184564

Thanks, @Shawn ! Those opening dates are in line with Elk, unfortunately.

I might take a run up to Greek on Sunday... maybe... I was considering going to Blue from my place near Elk, but after that I might as well go home to Philly.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @Shawn ! Those opening dates are in line with Elk, unfortunately.

I might take a run up to Greek on Sunday... maybe... I was considering going to Blue from my place near Elk, but after that I might as well go home to Philly.
I skid Greek last Saturday, was expecting the dredged ribbon of death but was not the case. They had two top to bottom a green and blue. The blue skied great and green was thin. I can say after the temps and rain we have had I don’t think you should waste your time and money. They have two nights of snow making temps next couple days and don’t think they can lay it down like the best… “Elk”.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I skid Greek last Saturday, was expecting the dredged ribbon of death but was not the case. They had two top to bottom a green and blue. The blue skied great and green was thin. I can say after the temps and rain we have had I don’t think you should waste your time and money. They have two nights of snow making temps next couple days and don’t think they can lay it down like the best… “Elk”.

Thanks as always for the intel, @Scrundy - probably makes sense to wait a couple more weeks.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I woke at 4 looked at the radar and turned off my alarm. Debating about tomorrow morning. Conditions should be interesting. :D

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Probably heading to Shawnee in the morning Sunday. Mainly to just shake out my boy's boots - make sure everything is right. Expecting poor conditions.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback says they will open 12/16. I would say Pocono skiing is on average December 15 to March 15 every year (sometimes extended on either side) so I guess this can be considered right on time. Looks like maybe latter next week some cold air could arrive so maybe they can get a decent amount of terrain skiable for opening.

IMG_3137.JPG

They have great power. Want to see them light up the mountain like this.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Blue was fun today. Same three trails were open (Free Fall, Paradise, and Burma). I ended up skiing about 25k of vertical. Lapped Free Fall something like 18 times straight. It had the best snow with the fewest people. Feeling good after a long day. Tired yet calm—the feeling that only skiing can do.

IMG_4530.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Blue was fun today. Same three trails were open (Free Fall, Paradise, and Burma). I ended up skiing about 25k of vertical. Lapped Free Fall something like 18 times straight. It had the best snow with the fewest people. Feeling good after a long day. Tired yet calm—the feeling that only skiing can do.

View attachment 184968
One of the things I like about Blue is you can get a chance to ski a lot of laps. The trail that liked to do that on is Widow Maker, people tend to stay away from it because it is not one of the longest trails. But I always have fun skiing it.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug Nice article in local paper of a couple Pocono Snowsport legends….As a kid, Shawnee and Camelback were my local mountains, and went to school/friends with the Law kids…We had a ski program in 6th grade that took us out of school early once a week in the winter, and bussed us up the road to Shawnee for lessons/free ski….that was the hook. I would assume Mal Law and Jim Tust were instrumental in providing that program to our school district.

Starting Gate was my local shop….K2 was my brand…lol.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is the Hall of Fame the displays in the Base Lodge at Camelback?

Pocono's are an interesting ski region that gets a lot of abuse from the "hard cores" but for me it's a case of I'm glad they are there in the "back yard" and they have their moments where the skiing is actually good and a lot of fun. Patiently looking (fingers tapping the table) forward to the 17th to get back on the boards. IMG_0526.JPG
A little Camelback "Front Four" stoke

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Conditions looking meager again at Blue after a deluge of rain yesterday. Last week they had the luxury of blowing snow for 24 hours straight before opening for the weekend. This week, not so much. On the bright side, it looks like they'll have snowmaking temperatures at night for most of the rest of the month.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 1.43.43 PM.png

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Is the Hall of Fame the displays in the Base Lodge at Camelback?

Pocono's are an interesting ski region that gets a lot of abuse from the "hard cores" but for me it's a case of I'm glad they are there in the "back yard" and they have their moments where the skiing is actually good and a lot of fun. Patiently looking (fingers tapping the table) forward to the 17th to get back on the boards. View attachment 185329
A little Camelback "Front Four" stoke
I have often thought the these local hills are the feeder system for larger areas, starting places for learning families and eventually returning to as seniors for mid week skiing.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
A cold-and-wet one at Blue today.

-I drove up in the rain and was pleasantly surprised to find it snowing when I got there. It ended up snowing all day.

-Same three trails were open: Free Fall, Paradise and Burma. No lift lines on Comet Quad, though it was crowded with everyone concentrated on the same three narrow trails.

-For me it was laps on Free Fall all day again. Best snow and fewest people. I was content to surf the margins of the trails today as there were too many people for wide carving anywhere except the first part of Free Fall. Had to stay in your lane.

15B54029-0BBA-4F34-861E-DFA33927998B.jpeg 80EEE0B6-3B71-41B3-8833-9DC2310A7D87.jpeg 642E4632-7A2F-44BB-A632-C51AE31AEC5C.jpeg 45360398-6A6F-4580-BDFE-DB09B56EA7D7.jpeg
There was a lot of dodging snowboarders on their butts.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like they started making snow on Widowmaker/Midway/Lower Main a few days ago with decent snowmaking coming up the next few nights. I wasnt able to sneak up there this weekend unfortunately.

@Shawn happen to notice if they have the cables up and spliced for the new lift yet? I’m hoping they have it spinning by the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online