• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-2023 Poconos and Greater Area Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Things looking (and skiing) a little better this morning

View attachment 190283

Oh yeah and nice to have a visit from the sun
I was at Blue yesterday. Sure was nice to see the sun, but the conditions were definitely sub-prime. Either refrozen cord that vibrated up through my legs, chunky monkey, or mud showing through. It's been a tough season so far. Heavy snow falling right now but this evening may not be pretty.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The barely an inch storm we got today was at least nice to see the ground white..…..but, yes, it is raining again.:(

With all the “all black” Wooly Bear caterpillars I saw this fall….I thought we were going to see an old school Pike County winter like this:
5AB1304D-CCBE-4239-A1E6-88B88A6E1169.jpeg

Instead we are getting a winter like this:
D51322FA-8535-43B6-A95E-AC34B8474D6C.jpeg

Last edited:

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Back to back days this weekend. Sunday better then Saturday. Kill em when they deserve it,, praise em when they deserve it. Today is praise as they are being aggressive and making snow on several trails and trying to expand. Big Pocono/Uncle Bill's came on line this weekend and they are working on Nile Mile and the 2 front four that aren't open yet. Hopefully the weather turns in their favor.
They‘re still listing the same trails they‘ve had open the last couple weeks. Anyone have any feel for when CBK is going to open the rest of the mountain?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They‘re still listing the same trails they‘ve had open the last couple weeks. Anyone have any feel for when CBK is going to open the rest of the mountain?
it has to stop raining this winter for any mountain to "open" up the "rest of the mountain"........we are lucky they even have any terrain open/it has been that bad.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Gotta to give credit where credit is due. They have been being aggressive and making snow and trying to expand despite the weather. They got, much to my surprise, Big Pocono/Uncle Bills and Meadows open over the last 2 weeks. Tuesday when I was there they were making snow on Rocket, Margies, Nile Mile and Pocono Raceway. I'm sure they had to curtail during yesterdays snow to rain event (which probably helped more then hurt conditions) but should be able to resume tonight and I could see more terrain open by the weekend.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
@mikes781 sorry I didn't report as promised. I got out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of last week for very short AM sessions. Thursday and Friday were pretty messy, Saturday was OK. Hope you had fun if you got out.
@BC. I'm in Philly this week on an implementation project for work. I'll be back in the middle/end of next week for a few days. I see the trail count is slowly recovering, which is good news.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Gotta to give credit where credit is due. They have been being aggressive and making snow and trying to expand despite the weather. They got, much to my surprise, Big Pocono/Uncle Bills and Meadows open over the last 2 weeks. Tuesday when I was there they were making snow on Rocket, Margies, Nile Mile and Pocono Raceway. I'm sure they had to curtail during yesterdays snow to rain event (which probably helped more then hurt conditions) but should be able to resume tonight and I could see more terrain open by the weekend.

Boy, that'd be perfect! Finally getting the teens pointed north this weekend -- good timing with the weather.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@mikes781 sorry I didn't report as promised. I got out Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of last week for very short AM sessions. Thursday and Friday were pretty messy, Saturday was OK. Hope you had fun if you got out.
@BC. I'm in Philly this week on an implementation project for work. I'll be back in the middle/end of next week for a few days. I see the trail count is slowly recovering, which is good news.
No problem my wife ended up taking my daughter to the tournament anyway and I skipped skiing last weekend all together given the conditions. I do want to get to Elk at some point. When my buddies and I talk about it it always comes back to going to Vermont for another 2 hours in the car. ;)

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone is around and wants to do some laps this weekend….look for the guy in my avatar on Kendos.

@ Montage on Saturday am
@ Elk on Sunday am

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did a quick morning session at Blue today. I did my first run down Paradise and thought to myself… decent conditions. Then I got to the bottom half and nice deep sugar. I was able to sneak on Razors before it was closed off for the racers. Upper part of Lazy was decent as was Upper Main. Lower Main was beat up and by 10 was a :poo: snow. Called it quits around 11. They are doing what they can to keep it going but we need some help from the weather gods.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Did a quick morning session at Blue today. I did my first run down Paradise and thought to myself… decent conditions. Then I got to the bottom half and nice deep sugar. I was able to sneak on Razors before it was closed off for the racers. Upper part of Lazy was decent as was Upper Main. Lower Main was beat up and by 10 was a :poo: snow. Called it quits around 11. They are doing what they can to keep it going but we need some help from the weather gods.
-I liked the first few runs after 8am. I was so happy to ski something firm. Conditions pretty much immediately deteriorated.

-Then I ended up hurting my knee in the deep sugar on Paradise. Somehow went over the handlebars, pivots didn't release, and I knew that my knee was not supposed to bend that way. No pain or significant swelling but putting weight on it is an issue. Yikes. I went home and now I'm icing it and taking ibuprofen.

-Maybe a 9 DIN was not a good idea. I typed in my stats in this DIN Calculator and it said 9.5 for Type 3+ and 8 for Type 3.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
-I liked the first few runs after 8am. I was so happy to ski something firm. Conditions pretty much immediately deteriorated.

-Then I ended up hurting my knee in the deep sugar on Paradise. Somehow went over the handlebars, pivots didn't release, and I knew that my knee was not supposed to bend that way. No pain or significant swelling but putting weight on it is an issue. Yikes. I went home and now I'm icing it and taking ibuprofen.

-Maybe a 9 DIN was not a good idea. I typed in my stats in this DIN Calculator and it said 9.5 for Type 3+ and 8 for Type 3.
Hope it’s nothing too serious and a few days of rest takes care of it. We will have to do a few runs together at some point.

I looked in the back of my truck this morning trying to decide which skis to use and went for my 66 under foot Heads. I know people say that you can ski that stuff with skinny skis but I don’t have that skill set yet. One run and i walked right back out to the parking lot and got my 88’s. If I had my 95s I would have skied those lol. Only way I know how to get through that stuff is with speed and gradual turns. Hard to do when everyone is packed into a few trails and there are bodies all over the place. :D

I worry about taking my knees in conditions like today and was part of the reason I skipped out after only 3 hours and maybe 8 runs. That and wanting to go bike shopping.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This weekend…Montage and Elk are definitely doing their best with what we are getting here on the EC as far as winter weather.

Both skied well this weekend….Elk was surprisingly very good today from 8:30-12:30….conditions were definitely better than expected. Good day.

ThomasH

Putting on skis
Skier
This makes me think: What about those skiers who prefer to warm up (or remain on)
Vista? (That’s not an option now is it? (Same with Main Street laps). I can‘t imagine funneling green circle skiers all down Burma Road!!

Somebody did consider all this, right? Right????
Wow Blue's prices have gone thru the roof this year- whats up with that?!

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They are about what they were last year when they really jacked them up. Up until two weeks ago they weren’t even offering 1/2 day tickets at a slightly reduced rate. I guess the combination of the rough season and the noise people were making made them rethink that.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
-KSL made significant capital expenditures at Blue and Camelback resorts, which it recently acquired, including the installation of new high-speed lifts. To cover these expenses, it's likely that prices, including season passes, were increased.

-It's possible that KSL understands that even with price increases, customers will still visit. I personally opt for Blue over other nearby resorts like Spring, Bear Creek, JFBB, or Camelback due to its appeal and proximity to the Philadelphia area. The other mountains either lack the same appeal or are farther away for me.

-Season passes are still priced at least somewhat reasonably. I paid $650 for an early season pass and used it 14 times before sustaining an MCL injury in the deep sugar on the slopes last Saturday. This amounts to approximately $46 per visit. I anticipate a quick recovery and plan to hit the slopes for at least 30 days at a cost of $22 per visit. I believe this shift towards season passes, rather than individual tickets, is a general trend in the ski industry. At any rate, Blue can be outrageously expensive for people who want to ski less or ski a wider variety of ski areas.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They didn’t have any shortages of customers last year when the prices really went up. Kept expecting to see smaller crowds but it didn’t happen.

Prices for single day tickets are tough pill to swallow though. My 14 year old can’t get there enough to justify a pass. She’s only been there twice this season. First time was on my buddy pass but the 2nd wall full price and I cringed knowing we’d be done after 4 hours lol. I asked her the other day whether she wanted to do a few more days at Blue this season or a long weekend at Killington. She chose Killington… smart kid. ogsmile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online