• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I managed to make it to North Star yesterday. Left the Bay Area at 6 and made it to snag one of the last paid parking spots a little after 9. We hopped right on the gondola but there were lines already at Vista and Arrow, because pretty much nothing else is running.

I took my son and his friend and set expectations low given how little is open. Still we managed to get in 10 runs and had a lot of fun. N* did a good job of grooming and the lifts and mountain were better staffed than last season for sure.

We broke for lunch and did one more run afterwards. Vista line was 15 minutes and the run itself was dangerous with a lot of out of control skiers. Plus it was getting scraped off in places.

All in all a good day. We were on the snow and it was a bluebird day. We got back at 4::45pm. It

Attachments

• 3032A239-C4F9-44C8-A282-FC190A7EA815.jpeg
    3032A239-C4F9-44C8-A282-FC190A7EA815.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1DFB5981-5507-4900-9B27-8581D34CC006.jpeg
    1DFB5981-5507-4900-9B27-8581D34CC006.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 11

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
New Pali map is interesting (I know, this was so 1 page ago in the thread.) I think by combining lower OV with AM you do reduce the separate/distinct feeling of the two resorts. Getting harder and harder to say that you're in one tribe or the other.

I'm not judging the move one way or the other, I just find it interesting how a map can change perspective if you stop to think about it. (NO, I did not go to Donner Ski Ranch and relive my youth prior to typing this. :rolleyes:)

I *DO* still struggle with what to call the OV side. Unless you ski there, nobody knows OV, and technically Palisades includes AM now. Ugh. Always awkward, and I fall back on SV for the sake of clarity as opposed to being purposefully cringeworthy.
My big gripe with this map is that it shows EVERYONE just how much terrain there is at Alpine to skier's left of the summit lift. There are large numbers of people who've never gone past Wolverine, and this new map makes that look every more enticing than the old map where it was on a separate sort of callout map.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think (hope) the overlap between people who were unaware of the terrain and people who can successfully hike to and ski it may be pretty small. I'm going to hazard a guess no one's gonna go ski idiots delight now because it's more prominent on the trail map. The drop into beaver bowl can be just as scary on a big cornice year. And nevermind the hike/traverse past that. Too much work! ;)

That's my hope anyway.

TS
MarkG

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My big gripe with this map is that it shows EVERYONE just how much terrain there is at Alpine to skier's left of the summit lift. There are large numbers of people who've never gone past Wolverine, and this new map makes that look every more enticing than the old map where it was on a separate sort of callout map.
I don't know about this. Comparing to an old Alpine Map the only real difference is OG map has Poma Rocks as double black...Alterra made it a single black. If it's crowded by EVERYBODY, I think it will be more due to Gondola than the map. (link attached: https://skimap.org/data/522/7/1257015085.jpg)

Of course I'm speculating.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about this. Comparing to an old Alpine Map the only real difference is OG map has Poma Rocks as double black...Alterra made it a single black. If it's crowded by EVERYBODY, I think it will be more due to Gondola than the map. (link attached: https://skimap.org/data/522/7/1257015085.jpg)

Of course I'm speculating.
Well, my thinking is people will ride the Gondola and look up at it and say wow how do I get there, pull out the map, and then go there. And doubtless people will get stuck on the ridge unable to get down.

So I'll just sit above Beaver and yell down at those kids to get off my lawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online