• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Last I saw they starting ferrying concrete up via helo but...seems a bit late?
I think they have the tower bases in and some concrete work at top and bottom but nothing is sticking up yet. It may be a matter of just dropping the towers down with a chopper and bolting them in. They could probably do that in a day or two.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any one with in-person eyes on? The last web site update for Pali was 9/8, was expecting another today but no joy.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Any one with in-person eyes on? The last web site update for Pali was 9/8, was expecting another today but no joy.
I couldn't even find the web cams on the site. It's all changed up.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
AQI down to 30 today, allowing for clear view of all the construction re B-B gondi at TP , and lack of same so far for Red Dog 350D49AC-B9CD-4B49-A6FF-7CD8F0AD6DED.jpeg 611772FA-6F2E-4A26-9F90-22A7BC782808.jpeg 3E992D9F-2FBC-4956-88FC-46B1A15B4316.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can’t overstate how massive that concrete and steel structure for B-B gondi base station is at Alpine side… and the associated concrete walls on either side… not a very Alpine Meadows kinda look

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow. This reminds me too much of how road work is done in my university town: just casually doing a little bit here, a little bit there the entire summer, saving the most disruptive traffic snarling work until the last second i.e. just as the Fall quarter is beginning and there's 5,000 new students plus parents dropping them off. Panic and chaos.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow. This reminds me too much of how road work is done in my university town: just casually doing a little bit here, a little bit there the entire summer, saving the most disruptive traffic snarling work until the last second i.e. just as the Fall quarter is beginning and there's 5,000 new students plus parents dropping them off. Panic and chaos.
You live in Davis too :roflmao:

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
In fairness, though no construction on weekends at Squaw ( oly valley), they’re working weekends at Alpine to meet deadlines and fair amount of progress last few weeks.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK fine ...... but if they sacrifice Red Dog for that silly gondola .....

HEADS WILL ROLL!!!
suspect Red Dog chair will be up and running for the season as scheduled. Given the WC races in Feb ( on Red Dog) , don’t see any world in which the new chair isn’t happening. Though conceivably in a pinch suspect the races could happen in the “ traditional “ courses on KT ( GS down from GS Bowl to Exhibition, and SL on Exhibition) . Both have been used on occasion for FIS races , so assume could get FIS approval for WC if necessary. Assuming both could pass snow control .

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
suspect Red Dog chair will be up and running for the season as scheduled. Given the WC races in Feb ( on Red Dog) , don’t see any world in which the new chair isn’t happening. Though conceivably in a pinch suspect the races could happen in the “ traditional “ courses on KT ( GS down from GS Bowl to Exhibition, and SL on Exhibition) . Both have been used on occasion for FIS races , so assume could get FIS approval for WC if necessary. Assuming both could pass snow control .
Updated construction report just went up on the web site: Red Dog completion anticipated by Thanksgiving, tower concrete pours and pylon placement in October.

....... weather permitting ogwink

I would expect, based on historical data, the next 5-6 weeks should be dry enough to keep on schedule.
But .....

freddie

Booting up
Skier
Driving from Oakland to Mammoth in Mid November?

I thought I would post this in the Tahoe forum instead of the Mammoth form as more people from the bay area on most likely travel from the bay area to mammoth.

I will be in Oakland for work Nov 14 - 18 and was thinking of driving to Mammoth to ski for a few days before Thanksgiving, thinking Nov 19 - 22.

I understand that Tioga pass will most likely be closed by then so I wanted to know what are the other route options that time of the year?

580-88-89-395?

80-50-89-395?

other?

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Driving from Oakland to Mammoth in Mid November?

I thought I would post this in the Tahoe forum instead of the Mammoth form as more people from the bay area on most likely travel from the bay area to mammoth.

I will be in Oakland for work Nov 14 - 18 and was thinking of driving to Mammoth to ski for a few days before Thanksgiving, thinking Nov 19 - 22.

I understand that Tioga pass will most likely be closed by then so I wanted to know what are the other route options that time of the year?

580-88-89-395?

80-50-89-395?

other?
89 from 88 to 395 will also likely be closed (monitor pass)

88 to 395 is the best route (with some mileage of backroads in NV to get between the two). 50 is pretty roundabout way of getting there.

If there is a big storm any and all ways have potential for closure.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
89 from 88 to 395 will also likely be closed (monitor pass)

88 to 395 is the best route (with some mileage of backroads in NV to get between the two). 50 is pretty roundabout way of getting there.

If there is a big storm any and all ways have potential for closure.
This^ I took the 88 to 395 the most last year. Spent more time in Mammoth than Tahoe the past season too. If it isn't too heavy of a early winter, Sonora pass (108) will be open. We used that to go to and back from Mammoth last November.

Status
Not open for further replies.