• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddie

Booting up
Skier
This^ I took the 88 to 395 the most last year. Spent more time in Mammoth than Tahoe the past season too. If it isn't too heavy of a early winter, Sonora pass (108) will be open. We used that to go to and back from Mammoth last November.
where do you get on 88? Stockton?

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
If it isn't too heavy of a early winter, Sonora pass (108) will be open. We used that to go to and back from Mammoth last November.
Might want to explain how fun that is esp the westbound..... make sure you have a bit of extra life left on your brake pads.
;)

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Might want to explain how fun that is esp the westbound..... make sure you have a bit of extra life left on your brake pads.
;)
Yea I was considering that hahahah. I'm in first gear for parts of the downhill westbound. Using heavier than factory-spec'ed tires so that doesn't help.

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
Updated construction report just went up on the web site: Red Dog completion anticipated by Thanksgiving, tower concrete pours and pylon placement in October.

....... weather permitting ogwink

I would expect, based on historical data, the next 5-6 weeks should be dry enough to keep on schedule.
But .....
A number of years ago ( 12-15 if memory serves…) Middlebury Snow Bowl ( Middlebury College - middle of Vt) promised a new / replacement chair on Allen, the main FIS race trail, would be in place by their traditional opening first week of January. Late October that season, the old Allen chair was still in place. Since late Fall is usually wet in Vermont, the assumption was chair not happening. But, despite naysayers; the new chair went in and was given the thumbs up by the state by late December. Granted, they used a lot of the existing concrete pads from the old chair, but in just a few weeks the new towers were installed, cable run, and chairs hung. Surprised most everyone.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe people will get it mixed up with Sugarbush and go to the wrong place so SB stays uncrowded.

I was thinking of getting a collective pass to use at Alta; with the non-blackouts feature, that might come in handy at SB for me since my SB pass is not the fancy unrestricted one.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whoa, completely spaced on all the new visitors coming to SB; was only thinking of imposing myself on other resorts.
Karma, neh?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe people will get it mixed up with Sugarbush and go to the wrong place so SB stays uncrowded.

I was thinking of getting a collective pass to use at Alta; with the non-blackouts feature, that might come in handy at SB for me since my SB pass is not the fancy unrestricted one.
I wouldn't put it behind people to make that mistake....

Also was thinking of getting the collective Pass for Alta. I have the Ikon base and was considering 200-300 more upgrade but if I was traveling more this year, the Collective seems more beneficial.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I know it's September. Yes, I know it will melt by tomorrow, if not sooner. Yes, I know it's only at the very top. But, YES, I know it's snowing! Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.15.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.15.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 3.15.18 PM.png Let me dream!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I am still puzzled by the construction schedule on Red Dog. I do not want to have to take a ski lift that was constructed in a hurry... And they do not have much choice because of the FIS race in February. I suppose as long as they pour concrete and build the top and bottom stations, everything will be OK, they can string the cable when the snow is on the ground, but boy that sounds more and more risky...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I am still puzzled by the construction schedule on Red Dog. I do not want to have to take a ski lift that was constructed in a hurry... And they do not have much choice because of the FIS race in February. I suppose as long as they pour concrete and build the top and bottom stations, everything will be OK, they can string the cable when the snow is on the ground, but boy that sounds more and more risky...
It seems to happen more often than not from what I've seen with lift construction. It is amazing how quickly things go once the tour pads are in place. Towers can get set in a day or two with helicopters & the rest is kind of like a pre-fab erector set & goes quickly.
1663863852472.png

Why anyone would choose to do this kind of mountain construction in the Fall when the days are short, the temps are cold & likely weather holds get in the way is baffling.
:huh:

I remember this scenario 2 seasons ago at Snowbasin when they replaced the Middle Bowl chair with a new 6-pack. In September everyone thought "No way" but poof it was ready on opening day!

Last edited:
TS
MarkG

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think a good indication of Alterra's confidence in both projects will be seen when they publish the new trail maps on the Palisades website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online