• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there an announced date for the new trail maps? Technically, they aren't needed until the lift accessing the trails in question is operating, so if no lift no update. .... ? Heck, even if they update the maps tomorrow, it really doesn't mean the trails described are actually open. I remain dubious until I actually see the new chair carrying a ski wearing person, and the trail status report says upper and lower Dog Leg are open.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Is everyone tuning skis or getting legs in shape? Is this why it's so quiet? ;-)
Getting in shape by injurying both legs !

The medium injury to upper right leg last March completely healed late April & some ski was done.
The same kind of injury but minor to lower left leg (a pull) is about 80% healed. Got PT for first one
but not the second as treatment would be exactly the same.
Just got to stay well. not this !:philgoat:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Boots and wheels on the ground!
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 1.18.03 PM.png

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sugar Bowl joins Mountain Collective. I did not see that one coming...
Nor did I. Rather bummed about it. Sugar Bowl was long my favorite of the decently sized Tahoe independents (Sugar, Sierra-At-Tahoe, Rose, Homewood, Diamond Peak). Then they decided they were too good for the Powder Alliance. Now joining MCP. Looks like they want to play with the big corporate resorts instead. Hoping they at least keep the first responder weekday discount.

TS
MarkG

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some pretty good photos of Alpine Meadows progress going on the past few days over at Unofficial Alpine.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Nor did I. Rather bummed about it. Sugar Bowl was long my favorite of the decently sized Tahoe independents (Sugar, Sierra-At-Tahoe, Rose, Homewood, Diamond Peak). Then they decided they were too good for the Powder Alliance. Now joining MCP. Looks like they want to play with the big corporate resorts instead. Hoping they at least keep the first responder weekday discount.
Yep, Sugar Bowl messed me up by dropping Powder Alliance. This caused me to also drop Sierra Tahoe pass with PA..

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Sugar Bowls move from PA to MCP doesent make much sense. Their rational for dropping PA was that it makes their area too crowded. (you only got 3 days on PA) MCP in addition to 3 free days gives unlimited half price days. Likely result is even more crowded.

splitter

Out on the slopes
Skier
My hopes for a Mt Rose/Sugar Bowl alliance just became less hopeful.

TS
MarkG

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sugar Bowls move from PA to MCP doesent make much sense. Their rational for dropping PA was that it makes their area too crowded. (you only got 3 days on PA) MCP in addition to 3 free days gives unlimited half price days. Likely result is even more crowded.
I think SB is still struggling to find that fine balance between crowd less and profitability. Season pass caps and price hikes will only take you so far.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think MC is 2 days plus unlimited 50% off this year, although if someone bought in the spring, they get a 3rd day at one resort. What’s the financial arrangement when a resort is part of a pass like this? When does a resort get paid?

A friend complained on Facebook to SB about crowding due to people on the pass (they don’t have blackouts, either) headed to SB, and SB’s response suggested there were still daily lift ticket caps, but I haven’t seen anything about MC passholders needing to make advance reservations for SB.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
My hopes for a Mt Rose/Sugar Bowl alliance just became less hopeful.
I would go for such alliance/pass in a second. Palisades closes too often for wind. Sugar Bowl less often. Rose is better in low tide conditions. Neither has much of a deal for seniors.

My pet peeve is the Balkanized state of passes in the Tahoe Region. This makes it difficult for out of state residents who only ski a week or 2 a year to visit. They usually have one pass or usually none at all. The various Tahoe areas ought to extend limited reciprocity to other pass holders. That is if you can show a pass good at any of the Tahoe areas you get a day at each area not on the pass.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
North Tahoe Tourist office and I think somewhere in SLT used to sell a multipass that was a coupon book where each day was good at one of a couple of resorts. Possibly only to international visitors but it meant you could get around and indeed had to because out of 6 days you probably only got 2 days at any one resort. But was really good value.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
From the Sierra Caldor fire updated blog:

POTENTIAL TERRAIN CLOSURES THIS SEASON
While the upper east side fared better and took less of a direct hit from the Caldor Fire compared to West Bowl, the fire crawled south across the lower east side affecting areas such as lower Jack’s Bowl and Preacher’s Passion. Full assessment continues in these areas to determine the accessibility of the areas.
With mitigation continuing alongside all 46 trails, a full reopening of the trail network is on track, however certain gladed areas will likely be closed this season, and assessed for inclusion in Phase II of mitigation anticipated to start next spring including:
  • Avalanche Bowl
  • Trees between Lower Main + Chute
  • Trees between Tahoe King + Preacher’s Passion
  • Trees between Castle + Preacher’s Passion
The areas above are part of Phase II in the 2023/24 restoration plan. With the daily changing vegetation, this season will be about continuous learning and discovery. Where will the snow drift and stack? How do our guests ski the mountain differently? What areas should we widen or create access to? These questions and more are being thought through and hashed out by our operations crew daily.
We are thinking through the changes to grooming, patrol, trail crew, terrain parks etc. But, the feedback and insight from our skiers + riders who know and love this mountain will be an invaluable asset to assist us in tackling the next phase of mitigation. Ski with us and be heard.

Also, a new batch of aerial pics from Sierra-

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
North Tahoe Tourist office and I think somewhere in SLT used to sell a multipass that was a coupon book where each day was good at one of a couple of resorts. Possibly only to international visitors but it meant you could get around and indeed had to because out of 6 days you probably only got 2 days at any one resort. But was really good value.
Yes! . . That was my go to 6 pack coupon book for many years before multi area passes. It was even a bargain the last several years I had it. Suddenly it about doubled in price in a year or 2. So I quit as MCP & Epic passes we’re reved up by then. The 6 pass may still be around. I never used it at mt Rose as the 2 for Tuesday was really half price then. Not anymore.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Visible progress!
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 6.41.02 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online