• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to be clear, you are relating Heavenly groomed the skiers left half of Little Dipper again? I drove home yesterday afternoon. Had been watching the daily HV Lift Status for days and per below it shows again no Little Dipper grooming last night for Friday skiing. (grooming symbol per Little Dipper Return) So you are relating that is incorrect and they actually did groom it again? On one of my GoPro recordings from a week ago Thursday (not Published on my Youtube page) have a bunch of old time Heavenly bump locals including Heavenly employees right on the slope last week emphatically discussing how they were all complaining about it to Vail HV management via emails and internal letters. When we saw the slope left alone this week, everyone was confident that would be the end of whatever experiment that was. And the slope was full of bump skiers having fun again. The bump shapes are excellent across the whole slope so there would not be a snow quality reason to flatten them.

And if so I doubt they would provide a reason as anything spouted would be lame showing attitude. Makes me wonder if so if some envious mogul-hating advanced skier has risen to some position of power in the local run groomer policy management? There are certainly still a few mogul hating can't ski em advanced skiers around but I would not expect they would ever actually do something like that as they would know many local hard core long time HV folks would strongly disapprove. That happened at Kirkwood over a decade ago as they began periodically grooming Look-Out-Yanek under the Cornice Quad and likewise many USA resort bump slopes a couple decades ago suffered same disgusting mowing fate like it was some industry wide acceptable action.

View attachment 192132
That’s what I’m saying.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied Kirkwood yesterday (what's Palisades? Never head of it. Lol). Windier than expected, so much so that Chair 4 and 10 never opened. It did make for some nice windblown dusting on the groomers, but anything west/ long sun-facing off-piste was dust on crust. Much more crowded than expected given that the Super Bowl was happening with lines longer than I've waited in this year. I attribute some of that to the Backside and Chair 10 being closed, pushing advanced/experts to Chair 6 and 11. Plus the ski teams were clogging chair 11. Got the kiddo up and out early, so it was a good day! 4AB2831E-AD33-46EE-8EEF-D6C880BC5F6B.jpeg

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Never say never!
I have often admired the area you are talking about and have skied and toured in the area south of Twin Lakes to Virginia lakes. From Matterhorn peak to Dunderberg, South Pk. & Black Mountain all wonderful terrain that captures & preserves lots of snow.
It ain’t gonna happen in my lifetime but populations & demands are changing. As we learn more about conservation & ecosystems we will also learn that some development can be done in a responsible way with minimal impact.
Indeed agree. Just a matter of legislation to do so. Will require a later generation of negotiators without the current history of animosity. More possible if it involves envied private lands wilderness groups would make a trade for.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay folks, it's been suggested by more than one person that we pull the traffic, parking and overcrowding issues from this thread to get this particular conversation back to conditions and stoke.
It's going to take some work so bear with me/us, while we sort it out.
The new thread that we start with the traffic, parking and overcrowding will be in the same vein with the I-70 Sucks thread from Colorado.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
IMHO it is useful to keep everything Tahoe in one place. Traffic and parking is as much a part of the experience as the stoke. Sweeping those issues under the rug in another thread is not a solution. The thread is monster length as it is, so the current discussion will be buried in the back pages in a few days anyway.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO it is useful to keep everything Tahoe in one place. Traffic and parking is as much a part of the experience as the stoke. Sweeping those issues under the rug in another thread is not a solution. The thread is monster length as it is, so the current discussion will be buried in the back pages in a few days anyway.
Thats one opinion. We had a handful of members say that they were weary of the constant complaining when they were trying to post stoke photos and talk about their day.
If you want to talk about weather and meeting up with someone, post it here.
This is a Tahoe Conditions and Meet Up thread.

If you want to complain about parking, traffic and who's eating breakfast where, then go here. >>> 2022-23 Tahoe Traffic & Parking Sucks <<<

Edit to add: clearly not sweeping those issues under the rug, but giving them the attention they deserve for clearer discussion purposes.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thats one opinion. We had a handful of members say that they were weary of the constant complaining when they were trying to post stoke photos and talk about their day.
If you want to talk about weather and meeting up with someone, post it here.
This is a Tahoe Conditions and Meet Up thread.

If you want to complain about parking, traffic and who's eating breakfast where, then go here. >>> 2022-23 Tahoe Traffic & Parking Sucks <<<
Agreed! Apologies for mucking up the stoke thread :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fine if this link gets posted occasionally.
Maybe every 2 weeks or so so occasional visitors don't miss seeing weekend problems.

Why would it get posted? People can find it with all the regular posting about issues that you guys have. Put it there NOT here. Seriously. How hard is that??

No pics but today was fantastic at Rose. I have new ski boots and feel like they are finally dialed in! (Thanks Tricia and Phil). I took them off piste, into bumps, but no tree skiing. I will check out the trees tomorrow! Today was the best day of my season!
Good boots are awesome!!

See you tomorrow!

SSSdave

Skier
WU-KW-21423.jpg

Was planning another midweek 2 day visit but some of the coldest temperatures forecast yet this winter have me resisting that notion. Today Tuesday is also windy thus even worse with wind chill. Wednesday a bit less breezy and cold. High at 8k today shows 17F and tomorrow 20F with overnight temps around the lake near ZERO. At my senior age, just do not have enough motivation above the unpleasant threshold of the hated 230 mile 4>5 hour boring dangerous traffic drive to go this week. Oh, I certainly have the gear, clothing, and experience to enjoy single digits to teens temp days, BUT the whole ski day, evening, morning cold experience effort... Besides last week nailed plenty of good sunny condition GoPro videos though only have Youtube Published two so far.

Moderates Thu/Fri with clouds. Next Mon/Tue looks to be fine and then Wed/Thu shows a modest cold storm we fresh snow enthusiast ought keep an eye on. Instead unless I change my mind later today, tomorrow Wednesday may drive the easy 55 miles up to the touristy north shore of San Francisco that I haven't done since November and do some urban street hiking/fs dancing. Sunny, minor breeze, low to mid 50Fs temps with lots of people and food to eat about all over, I can more readily enjoy. Note for anyone visiting The City, free park at quite safe and free Marina Green just west of Fort Miley.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
It was freezing at Rose today -8 ° - even colder than forecast. I wimped out after 90 minutes. I had planned to warm up and go back out but then the sun went away - so cold and flat light? No.
I can just picture an East Coast skier shrugging.... Remind me of how good we have it here in California. Even with that flat light. :)

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
It was freezing at Rose today -8 ° - even colder than forecast. I wimped out after 90 minutes. I had planned to warm up and go back out but then the sun went away - so cold and flat light? No.
Let me see here

Heated gloves (check)
Heated boots (check)
Arcteryx Down jacket (check)
Boot Gloves (check)
Yellow Lenses (check)

No one at Alpine Meadows except @Rainbow Jenny priceless

SSSdave

Skier
Not only -8F but also a strong northeast wind from that Great Basin low making for even lower effective wind chills. Yikes!

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't think any of this would be public knowledge but worth an ask anyway :)

Palisades World Cup is next weekend, open snow is calling for a pattern change mid next week. Specifically
We could see a wetter/snowier storm the weekend of the 25th-26th behind the snow from the slow-moving low next Wed-Fri. Then the storm door could be open to more cold storms through the end of the month into early March. Some of the latest GFS model runs have it snowing every day the last 7 days of the month, lol.
Anyone have any guesses/insight into what kind of weather would affect the race and maybe even when some sort of decision would be made? Obviously, if it is stormy enough to prevent red dog from running there's gonna be some problems but I assume heavy snowfall along would cause significant problems to the race surface.

I understand the forecast is far out and we have seen a similar forecast shift to sunny bluebird days in the remaining time period but I have plans to go watch the race and am just trying to not be caught by surprise... Especially as I have guests flying in for it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Don't think any of this would be public knowledge but worth an ask anyway :)

Palisades World Cup is next weekend, open snow is calling for a pattern change mid next week. Specifically

Anyone have any guesses/insight into what kind of weather would affect the race and maybe even when some sort of decision would be made? Obviously, if it is stormy enough to prevent red dog from running there's gonna be some problems but I assume heavy snowfall along would cause significant problems to the race surface.

I understand the forecast is far out and we have seen a similar forecast shift to sunny bluebird days in the remaining time period but I have plans to go watch the race and am just trying to not be caught by surprise... Especially as I have guests flying in for it as well.
Got a crystal ball that doesn’t have cataracts

Yeah nether do I

but this has happened before
1960 Olympics come to mind

they will figure it out but it won’t be fun for the ones that do the work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor