• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Totem Pole at Mt. Rose December
View attachment 196439

March 10
View attachment 196440
Look at the skis on the totem pole and the trees just behind.

What's more impressive to me is the tops of the trees barely popping through!
That's what I was thinking when I looked at these pics.
Realizing that we're skiing on the tops of trees right now.
As we drive up Mt Rose Hwy, the Chutes don't look quite as defined as they usually do because so many trees are buried under the snow.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
As we drive up Mt Rose Hwy, the Chutes don't look quite as defined as they usually do because so many trees are buried under the snow.
Chutes become bowls & bowls become avalanche paths.
Mt. Tallac slide path last week, I’ve never seen it go so big!…

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
  • Strained a hamstring shoveling Thursday
  • Worked Friday and some shoveling
  • Skied today - springlike conditions at Sugar Bowl
  • My new Blaze 94W are pretty rad, although it could have been the tune and wax lol
  • Sat on Crows Nest lift for ~30 to 35 minutes
  • Got an expired (like, 5/30/21) $10 voucher for my trouble :huh:
Saturday was a great day at SB. We were there too! Its not bad today either. Light snow and no wind.

Can I have your ‘expired’ voucher? Insider secret is those old vouchers the lifties hand you don’t expire! The second secret is you can use the voucher in the cafeterias/lodges for food etc! (Not sure about alcohol or at the bar) My kids were given several of them back in January that also had the 2021 expiration. In Feb, they went into Nob cafe and bought a bunch of candy etc…. Just scan the barcode at checkout. Hope you didn’t toss it Out.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
No, it's sitting on my kitchen island next to me, hoping to be used for a beer later this season! I also emailed customer service to see what the deal is.
Haha. It’s legitimate except for the date on it. I wonder how many get tossed? Also when I first saw one, I originally assumed it was for lift tickets. Glad my kids asked in the cafe.
I‘m only hoping the drive back isn’t too bad later today.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Haha. It’s legitimate except for the date on it. I wonder how many get tossed? Also when I first saw one, I originally assumed it was for lift tickets. Glad my kids asked in the cafe.
I‘m only hoping the drive back isn’t too bad later today.
Really appreciate the confirmation! I was cautiously optimistic that it could be used for more than just lift tickets. And good luck with the drive - it's been kind of a doozy the last week or so!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Chutes become bowls & bowls become avalanche paths.
Mt. Tallac slide path last week, I’ve never seen it go so big!…
I skied thigh deep snow in Lowball and Cutthroat just before we went to the Gathering. Both skied like bowls instead of chutes.

IMG_6056.jpeg IMG_0020.jpeg

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose was two areas today: The Rose side and Chutes, and the Slide side. Visibility on the Slide side was bad, really bad at times but Rose side stayed fairly good. Snow was better on the Rose side too, though we didn't do too many laps. I did happen to be in the right place at the right time as Patrol opened some of the upper Chutes. I got 1st or second tracks down Beehive. I hadn't been in the Chutes this season yet and never had skied Beehive (or any of the other "bigger" ones) before. The Patroller said he felt Beehive was in the best condition with 4" or so of fresh on top of a firmer, scratchy layer. I asked about Miller Time since I'd done that before; he said they weren't even opening that one. So I looked at the guy next to me and said "Partners?" and he said sure. I had to stop a few times but it was a fun, easy run.
20230319_111646.jpg 20230319_112041.jpg 20230319_112255.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Thanks for that link @4ster . Quite impressive drone slide path video. Definitely widened the no trees left zone on that slide path. Rather wide crown zone that first slid through sparse conifers before funneling into the narrow path. This backpacking season summer, the southern High Sierra will have many such snow avalanche paths that when they cross trails and routes requires much efforts monkeying through tangled piles of mangled trees and trunks.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks for that link @4ster . Quite impressive drone slide path video. Definitely widened the no trees left zone on that slide path. Rather wide crown zone that first slid through sparse conifers before funneling into the narrow path. This backpacking season summer, the southern High Sierra will have many such snow avalanche paths that when they cross trails and routes requires much efforts monkeying through tangled piles of mangled trees and trunks.
It’s right next to one of my favorite spring corn runs & a lot peoples approach route for skiing the mountain. The bottom of the big slide path is poking out in the upper right…

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
The Lakeview Express chair at Mt. Rose stayed running until 6pm yesterday. And will again on Friday's to the end of the season. The afternoon skiing was fun.
I usually don't stay for last chair, but I did this time to ski late in the day. There was a good size crowd that rode on the chair.
One casualty to report, the skier on the Totem pole has a broken leg & lost his ski. Don't know how this happened.
View attachment 197205

View attachment 197213

View attachment 197207

View attachment 197208

View attachment 197209

View attachment 197210

View attachment 197211
Calling @mdf to ski last chair at 6pm !

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day three at Heavenly yesterday delivered 6" of snow per BA and it was great. With Tamarack finally open there were really no lines anywhere. Parking was also surprisingly easy at Cal Lodge.

Again, we started in California and worked our way over to Nevada. Spent most of our day at North Bowl and in the Aries Woods off of Comet. Visibility was an issue up higher as the snow was pretty constant for most of the day. But down below and in the trees it was fine.

It was glorious.

The Blossom AM77s really showed me why they are named "all mountain". Over the course of three days I had them on everything from ice, dust on crust, fantastic groomed snow, crud, and several inches of fresh powder. I took them from from groomers to bumps to steeps and trees. Absolutely nothing phased them. They are so easy and fun to ski. I have Pivot 14s on mine FWIW.

And I'm happy to report that yesterday something clicked for me and I found myself finally able to carve tight slalom turns with ease on the skis. I just relaxed and let the skis pull me into the next turn. It was exhilarating. Also changed my approach to moguls.

Sorry no pics of conditions. Just my son in the trees. It was so great to explore with him.

IMG_1593.jpeg

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What could possibly be better than that?
:yahoo:
Absolutely nothing!!!!

View attachment IMG_1594.mov

Although this is about as close as it gets. First run any of us have every taken with one of my best friends' 7-year old son. After a couple days of lessons last season and 3 days this week the kid actually skied Ridge Run yesterday!

IMG_1590.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online