• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Update from Palisades:
Oly valley (Squaw) will CLOSE for season at end of May. (Memorial Day) due to Funitel haul rope replacement schedule.

Alpine Meadows will stay OPEN in June and thru July 4. Weekends only: F,Sa,Su.
KT22 will run on Saturdays starting April 8 until 5 pm.

"The last day for the Base to Base Gondola will be Sunday, April 30th"

As mentioned here on SkiTalk when it was under construction and I was hoping at the time that it would allow Alpine to stay open late-- they cannot run it late season.

Ironically, this season, Alpine is staying open late without it :)

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like Northstar is implementing paid parking reservations

UPDATE AS OF MARCH 22, 2023:

We remain committed to addressing challenges with traffic/road congestion and parking. Next winter, we will offer several choices for guests, with a combination of both free and paid parking options. With this shift, we will be implementing a reservations-based paid parking program on weekends (Saturday-Sunday) and holidays/peak periods in our Village View and Lower Village Preferred Paid lots:

• For Village View, reservations will be required on weekends and holidays/peak periods between 7:00am-1:00pm, and will be available online at the start of the season. After 1:00pm, all parking in this lot will be free and no reservations will be required.
    • Reservations will be free for cars with four or more occupants at all times; a flat fee of $20 will be required for cars with three or fewer occupants.
    • If parking in Village View on weekends or holidays/peak periods, guests must secure a reservation via our website (regardless of how many people are in the vehicle).
  • For the Lower Village Preferred Paid lot, reservations will be required on weekends and holidays/peak periods from 7:00am-3:00pm. The fees to park in this lot will remain the same as winter 2022/23: $20 during the week and $40 on weekends and holidays/peak periods, regardless of how many people are in a single vehicle.
  • Castle Peak lot will remain free every day, no reservations required.
We will update this page in advance of next winter to include more specifics and instructions on how to create a reservation for the Village View and Lower Village Preferred Paid lots for weekends and holidays/peak periods.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
A very late report from the past weekend... All that snow has transformed squaw. Classic chute is no longer a chute, North Bowl is a perfect ridgeline, no more rocks. Light Towers look like a fun mellow ridge :eek:.

I spotted a nice path down the Shirley 3 chute, which is normally a tight rock-rimmed Squallywood line where you have to make one or two quick turns and then are forced to straight-line all the way down. Went up this time and was surprised to find that it literally felt like a steep blue slope, smooth with room to adjust your line to both sides, mellow wide-ish turns all the way. So, if you have ever dreamed of checking off any of the storied lines at Squaw, this is the year do it.

Of course that weekend lots of terrain as closed because it was nice smooth sheer ice. Sunday storm helped a bit, but not much. Hopefullywhatever fell on Tuesday should help it a bit more. Looking forward to more skiing (and more crowds) this weekend.

The gazex on Headwall face is totally buried. The Slot is an open bowl. Kinda amazing.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Looks like Northstar is implementing paid parking reservations

UPDATE AS OF MARCH 22, 2023:

We remain committed to addressing challenges with traffic/road congestion and parking. Next winter, we will offer several choices for guests, with a combination of both free and paid parking options. With this shift, we will be implementing a reservations-based paid parking program on weekends (Saturday-Sunday) and holidays/peak periods in our Village View and Lower Village Preferred Paid lots:

• For Village View, reservations will be required on weekends and holidays/peak periods between 7:00am-1:00pm, and will be available online at the start of the season. After 1:00pm, all parking in this lot will be free and no reservations will be required.
    • Reservations will be free for cars with four or more occupants at all times; a flat fee of $20 will be required for cars with three or fewer occupants.
    • If parking in Village View on weekends or holidays/peak periods, guests must secure a reservation via our website (regardless of how many people are in the vehicle).
  • For the Lower Village Preferred Paid lot, reservations will be required on weekends and holidays/peak periods from 7:00am-3:00pm. The fees to park in this lot will remain the same as winter 2022/23: $20 during the week and $40 on weekends and holidays/peak periods, regardless of how many people are in a single vehicle.
  • Castle Peak lot will remain free every day, no reservations required.
We will update this page in advance of next winter to include more specifics and instructions on how to create a reservation for the Village View and Lower Village Preferred Paid lots for weekends and holidays/peak periods.
Seems like a move that will push locals away.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Seems like a move that will push locals away.
Push em to Palisades which has no known problems with parking at weekends.

Looked at against that it's quite cynical. How are Nstar going to enforce reservations? Numberplate recognition on entry to the valley? If not they don't mitigate congestion as people drive up anyway to chance it.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
April:
Squaw & Alpine both (All days)
B2B gondola running.

May:
B2B gondola closed for the season
Squaw (Monday & Tuesday)
Alpine (Wednesday & Thursday)
Both (Friday - Sunday)

June:
Alpine only (Friday - Sunday)

July:
Alpine only (July 1-4)

:rolleyes:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
A very late report from the past weekend... All that snow has transformed squaw. Classic chute is no longer a chute, North Bowl is a perfect ridgeline, no more rocks. Light Towers look like a fun mellow ridge :eek:.

I spotted a nice path down the Shirley 3 chute, which is normally a tight rock-rimmed Squallywood line where you have to make one or two quick turns and then are forced to straight-line all the way down. Went up this time and was surprised to find that it literally felt like a steep blue slope, smooth with room to adjust your line to both sides, mellow wide-ish turns all the way. So, if you have ever dreamed of checking off any of the storied lines at Squaw, this is the year do it.

Of course that weekend lots of terrain as closed because it was nice smooth sheer ice. Sunday storm helped a bit, but not much. Hopefullywhatever fell on Tuesday should help it a bit more. Looking forward to more skiing (and more crowds) this weekend.
Northstar has been gloriously good all week. Firm, but good and edgeable. The sun and the small refreshes we've been getting all week have made for some great surface on groomers. Yesterday (Thurs) the snow accumulation by mid-morning was enough to make the higher elevations fun off-piste. About 4-5" at Northstar I would guess. If it was scraped off, it was still firm underneath. But with extremely few people (especially for spring break) scraped off was rare to nonexistent.

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
Kirkwood was very nice today, clouds cleared out and it got colder as the day went on. Maybe 2-3" on top of what they had which was nearly all soft. Eagle Bowl was very nice early. I can't believe how this much snow really transforms a mountain. All the fun gullies at Kirkwood really aren't there...

IMG_1536.jpeg

IMG_1538.jpeg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Yeah, I'd expect snow everywhere in the Tahoe region down to lowest resort elevations is skiing mid winter cold storm type snow quality since those last storms because daytime temps remain cool with ridge line winds. Also forecast cold the rest of this coming week before the first real warm up.I So yeah this next week could be the last good mid snow this Tahoe winter. 'll soon be posting some youtube videos of skiing Wednesday and Thursday with high temps at 8.5k only 20F and ridge lines in Arctic-like rimy cloud fog, variable flat light, variable winds. But down below on the lee of ridge lines most pleasant along groomed trail edges of tall north facing conifer lined trails. In afternoon with winds picking up, so broad areas of intermediate pitch wind blown too just above Olympic Express.

Today all morning initially processing 18 GoPro mp4 single run files, deleting a few trimming down all. Enjoying watching immensely, remembering much. Start recording at the top of a run by taking off one glove in pole strap, feel for button atop GoPro housing, push record button by finger feel alone, listen for start of recording beeps, record skiing run, trim out rest breaks and most non skiing, record all skiing. Most single run videos trimmed are just 1 to 3 minutes long.

But one of my most impressive bump runs this year Thursday at 9:55am SDT was my third run of that morning down Little Dipper. I plan to youtube publish the whole 10 plus minutes as a documentary account of a single interesting 2023 Tahoe run with much annotating explaining whatever to make it all more interesting as a worthwhile immersive video experience. Like I've been saying, there is more to saving experienced with these POV video systems than the public yet understands. I'm going to surprise millions. Especially sitting right in front of a 20 inch plus sized pc monitor for displaying at least 1080p HDTV level. It really becomes more real when one sees all the texture in the display that tends to be lost on small devices or youtube sized low bandwidth highly compressed Internet displays.

The solution is I'll post the youtube videos and then other members and the public can freely download full 100% files from a short term cloud storage site. A skier can watch at home or wherever on their own systems. With ski videos recorded from a front helmet mount, the perspective is that of eyes thus by focusing on the center of the rectangular video frame, an immersive experience from the perspective of skier is realized. Actually could be a partial business model for a skier site catering to immersive video downloads that cannot otherwise be viewed live but for which compressed videos could be used like image thumbnails, useful for categorizing if nothing more.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, I'd expect snow everywhere in the Tahoe region down to lowest resort elevations is skiing mid winter cold storm type snow quality since those last storms because daytime temps remain cool with ridge line winds. Also forecast cold the rest of this coming week before the first real warm up.I So yeah this next week could be the last good mid snow this Tahoe winter.

The spring sun is too strong. Even if it's cold air temp, it's cooking the snow even on a cloudy day.
I agree, If you want winter snow, I suggest you get your last winter pow day Weds through Friday next week. It will not last imo, or won't be the same, even on N. aspects.

SSSdave

Skier
Kirkwood is where my roots are despite skiing Heavenly more in recent years. Love the broad field of wind blown powder that during many winters forms at times in the center of The Wall just below the steepest ridge line zone where blown in from the windward side drops down as fill till at center bowl it builds up as piles of loose dry cold fill. Like a smaller version of Dave's Run at Mammoth where one can play with dynamic rebounding larger radius edge ripping turns in a wonderfully feeling smooth loose wind blown surface. On fresh days know of many otherwise ignored by advanced skiers lower gradient awkward places to reach in conifers. For instance some long lines below huge red firs tree even in strips to the sides and between the novice gradient Timber Creek lift. Much at Kirkwood for the wise.

Would also like to capture a good low winds fresh powder day at Kirkwood on a day the Backside is open after a sub-foot of fresh they would not need to do much Thunder Saddle avalanche work on. In this recent era after many storms, the Backside has been closed off for a day or two. Some great timberline curving fall line runs especially by hiking up above The Wave to mountain hemlock slopes near the West boundary.

SSSdave

Skier
The spring sun is too strong. Even if it's cold air temp, it's cooking the snow even on a cloudy day.
I agree, If you want winter snow, I suggest you get your last winter pow day Weds through Friday next week. It will not last imo, or won't be the same, even on N. aspects.
Agree stay on more northerly exposures thankfully our best runs are on anyway and all above say 8k will be good packed powder. But yeah anything in more direct sun even last week was making me want a darker goggle lens. And low elevations can bake in just a single clear blue sky calmish day.

Tonyr4

Putting on skis
Skier
Push em to Palisades which has no known problems with parking at weekends.

Looked at against that it's quite cynical. How are Nstar going to enforce reservations? Numberplate recognition on entry to the valley? If not they don't mitigate congestion as people drive up anyway to chance it.
The parking situation at Northstar is one of the worst setups that I've seen. I was there on a weekday but couldn't imagine what a busy weekend must be like. I don't think I'd ever ski there again unless I stayed in the village and could walk to the lifts.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All that snow has transformed squaw. Classic chute is no longer a chute, North Bowl is a perfect ridgeline, no more rocks. Light Towers look like a fun mellow ridge :eek:.
It's totally the time to check off all the spots on your bucket list. It'll look impressive later, even though we know right now they're all just fairly steep, smooth, wide runs.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The parking situation at Northstar is one of the worst setups that I've seen. I was there on a weekday but couldn't imagine what a busy weekend must be like. I don't think I'd ever ski there again unless I stayed in the village and could walk to the lifts.
It's what a resort designed for corporate greed rather than skier experience looks like. The base layout is just about the most cynical thing in golbal skiing for dayskiers. It's definitely not all on Vail though, started under previous owners.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There was a surprising amount of powder in spots today at Alpine. The website said 2” overnight but I encountered more than that off the sides of all the runs. It was good fun!

Is anyone heading to Rose this weekend?
Ugh, I should have gone! Was it crowded?

Status
Not open for further replies.