• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new and improved Lakeview express at Mt. Rose is coming up for 2022-23 season.

The splash page in the link below shows a nice drone shot of the area. I believe the new unload point will be where you see the Cat moving around. This gives access to some additional terrain right behind that was previously hike-to access only.

mt-rose-new-view.jpg

mt-rose-new-view-2.jpg

Last edited:

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Palisades posted an update on their progress:

"Construction Update:
Our teams are hard at work on the Base to Base Gondola, the new Red Dog high speed 6-person lift, and a few other summer projects in preparation for the 2022/23 season. Here's a peek behind the construction tape!
• Concrete footings were just poured last week for the Base to Base terminal on the Palisades side.
• A lot of work is underway at the Alpine Base. Concrete was poured on the main floor of what will be the new gondola maintenance building, and the last section of the retaining wall between the Base to Base and Treeline Cirque was poured. Efforts to ensure the breezeway ramp that provides access to the restrooms is ADA compliant are also underway.
• At the Alpine Midstation, crews continue to weld the massive steel columns/beams that will make the terminal enclosure, and formation of the concrete wall on the West (uphill) side has just begun.
• At the bottom of the new Red Dog lift, a concrete pad for the loading platform will be built later this summer.
• The Chalet at Alpine is getting a new deck. We can't wait to break it in with a cold one this winter!" 1661301014418.png 1661301026693.png 1661301045107.png 1661301060484.png

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
MarkG

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am so looking forward to that cold one on the new Chalet deck. Never be as cool as the Ice Bar but the extra seating will make it great!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From my bike ride today. We stopped at Mt. Rose to see the progress. Kinda scary to see so much still in the parking lot!
20220823_120903.jpg 20220823_120919.jpg 20220823_121032.jpg 20220823_121414.jpg

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Well, "will be built later this summer" scares the bejesus out of me. Summer is almost over, you cannot pour concrete overnight, and the more you get into the fall, the more you run the rest of getting weather. At this point I have near zero confidence that Red Dog will spin on the opening day. And do I really want to use a hastily built ski lift?

As much as I love skiing, I am also not yet ready for the summer to be over, there is still too much to do in Tahoe...

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sierra updated their blog on the clean-up/mountain prep that have been working on since the Caldor fire burnt through them last summer.

Update: August 24, 2022
A Q&A with Atlas Tree Company:
The Art + Science to Tree Mitigation at Sierra

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello Hive Mind-

I was looking to see if we have a consensus on best tunes in Reno/Tahoe/Truckee/Carson. I live in Incline and after some deferred maintenance due to COVID and the great amount of spring skiing (both February and May) we had last season it's time for a tune. I take care of my own side edges, but I have several bases that are well into needing a grind. No core shots, fortunately, just pretty well loved skis.

I'm looking for a somewhat looser structure (last set of tunes I had was in New England where cold manmade is the usual, vs here in Tahoe where it's warm and wet quite often) and someone who knows what they are doing around unusual skis...my Skilogik Ullr's Chariot rock skis, my Laser AX and a set of J Skis Masterblasters all need some work. Possibly my Rustler 11's too. The Skilogiks are very tune sensitive due to the crazy sidecut.

I did have Smooth Rides do some repair work after a big core shot a few years ago and they did really well...but don't seem to be in business anymore from what I can see.

Anybody know a great tuner? I have heard Start Haus is good, but it ain't my race skis that need work, and they are a little spendy. In the old choice, I'm after good and cheap, but not fast. Got several months left.

Thanks all!

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did have Smooth Rides do some repair work after a big core shot a few years ago and they did really well...but don't seem to be in business anymore from what I can see.
SmoothRides relocated to be attached to BlueZone in Truckee. I did get tunes done with Chris there at that new location.
If they are not back for the 2022-23 season, that's news to me.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Smooth Rides is part of Blue Zone sports. Their service menu is here

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bobo's in Reno got the new Wintersteiger Jupiter machine. They'll be able to do things Smoothrides can't.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bobo's in Reno got the new Wintersteiger Jupiter machine. They'll be able to do things Smoothrides can't.
@Andy Mink can you explain to a relative tuning simpleton what that might be? I don't envision changing edge angles or anything like that...is it some kind of magic structure you can't do with a simple stone that would benefit our area?

Admittedly I was much more picky about edge polishing and the like when I was an ice coaster who liked NASTAR gates...loved that sort of singing sound that freshly Wintersteiger diamond disc-ed edges made. And they skied well.

Is it one of those 3d edge angle type things? might help my skilogiks...they have a ton of sidecut, a very very wide shovel and said shovel is not entirely flat. But this will be their last tune I suspect so I don't want to do anything too crazy. Need one more season of rock duty. Right now they are so banged up that early season manmade might get a bit twitchy...

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink can you explain to a relative tuning simpleton what that might be? I don't envision changing edge angles or anything like that...is it some kind of magic structure you can't do with a simple stone that would benefit our area?

Admittedly I was much more picky about edge polishing and the like when I was an ice coaster who liked NASTAR gates...loved that sort of singing sound that freshly Wintersteiger diamond disc-ed edges made. And they skied well.

Is it one of those 3d edge angle type things? might help my skilogiks...they have a ton of sidecut, a very very wide shovel and said shovel is not entirely flat. But this will be their last tune I suspect so I don't want to do anything too crazy. Need one more season of rock duty. Right now they are so banged up that early season manmade might get a bit twitchy...
The Jupiter can do numerous base structure grinds, as can other machines. What it can do that I don't think others can do, at least the one at Smooth Rides, is an edge bevel is different at different sections of the ski. Maybe a 1/2 on the tip and tail so it's not overly grippy, but a 1/3 under foot so once in the turn it holds hard. Or vice versa, however you like. Is it a silver bullet or marketing? I don't know. What is likely, though, is the new machine will be more accurate than an old machine. Full disclosure, I have not skied on anything that has a multi-bevel edge so I don't know how it feels. I have been pleased overall with the tunes from Smooth Rides over the last few years. @Philpug and @Tricia have been on the multi-bevel magic. They can chime in on that.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Jupiter can do numerous base structure grinds, as can other machines. What it can do that I don't think others can do, at least the one at Smooth Rides, is an edge bevel is different at different sections of the ski. Maybe a 1/2 on the tip and tail so it's not overly grippy, but a 1/3 under foot so once in the turn it holds hard. Or vice versa, however you like. Is it a silver bullet or marketing? I don't know. What is likely, though, is the new machine will be more accurate than an old machine. Full disclosure, I have not skied on anything that has a multi-bevel edge so I don't know how it feels. I have been pleased overall with the tunes from Smooth Rides over the last few years. @Philpug and @Tricia have been on the multi-bevel magic. They can chime in on that.
You may have skied on something we had tuned in Utah at Wintersteiger.

I will say, it is really really good.

I'm not knocking Smoothrides they do a fine tune, but their machine is getting long in the tooth and Bobo's new machine is incredible, and new!

Go to the link in Andy's post about it. Phil wrote a good article about their machine.

Last edited:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello Hive Mind-

I was looking to see if we have a consensus on best tunes in Reno/Tahoe/Truckee/Carson. I live in Incline and after some deferred maintenance due to COVID and the great amount of spring skiing (both February and May) we had last season it's time for a tune. I take care of my own side edges, but I have several bases that are well into needing a grind. No core shots, fortunately, just pretty well loved skis.

I'm looking for a somewhat looser structure (last set of tunes I had was in New England where cold manmade is the usual, vs here in Tahoe where it's warm and wet quite often) and someone who knows what they are doing around unusual skis...my Skilogik Ullr's Chariot rock skis, my Laser AX and a set of J Skis Masterblasters all need some work. Possibly my Rustler 11's too. The Skilogiks are very tune sensitive due to the crazy sidecut.

Anybody know a great tuner? I have heard Start Haus is good, but it ain't my race skis that need work, and they are a little spendy. In the old choice, I'm after good and cheap, but not fast. Got several months left.

Thanks all!
Granite chief. They currently sell service cards (you pay x dollars and you get 2x the value).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor