• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not holding my breath for a lot more to open at Rose. There was some pretty serious wind scouring early in the week, down to dirt in spots. This 12-16" or whatever they end up with won't be enough to compact to a good base in those areas. Not sure it'll be worth the hassle tomorrow to get there early.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I'm not holding my breath for a lot more to open at Rose. There was some pretty serious wind scouring early in the week, down to dirt in spots. This 12-16" or whatever they end up with won't be enough to compact to a good base in those areas. Not sure it'll be worth the hassle tomorrow to get there early.
The few times I checked in on the webcams at Rose, it was snowing upwards to the sky from the mountain. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The few times I checked in on the webcams at Rose, it was snowing upwards to the ski from the mountain. :roflmao:
Because the wind was blowing 50+mph! Who knows where it ended up?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
3am now (senior wee hours sleep break). KW webcams and snowstake useless. But CDEC Caples at 8k showing 24 new inches accumulated on its Dipstick gauge by 9pm when snow ended. No doubt 3+ feet up higher on KW ridge. Avalanche closures certain. The rain gauge frequently has issues probably due to freezing contents not reaching the lower antifreeze bucket part of its mechanism. Thus at 10pm, suddenly 2.5 inches of water was suddenly added to the remote total. Must have some way to heat parts of it making blockage melt? Temperature now 7F. Friday will be unpleasantly cold for you hardcore locals.

Indeed now enough to open more terrain for early December. ,

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
HV-EP-12222.jpg

Like this Snipping Tool image capture off today's 8am Heavenly East Peak Lodge base web cam at 8650 showing the reported 15 inches has them running a groomer down there early this morning. Suspect they may open NV after Monday. Kirkwood reporting 19 inches.

WU HV Kingsbury at 7.4k forecast showing a respectable 8.3 inches more and Kirkwood at the 8k base another showing 22.8 inches white goodness for round 3 beginning tomorrow evening. The HV numbers are near the Route 207 pass so up higher on their Nevada side is usually greater snow amounts.

KW-CE-12222.jpg

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Sierra reporting 43".
Seems suspect... as everyone else is under 24".

Screenshot_20221202-112542~2.png

EDIT:
They updated the webpage to now show 25" (which is much more believable). :D

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
-13° in Hope Valley this morning but by the time I got my phone out it had warmed up to a balmy -12°
FA43DCC1-88AF-468C-BDFE-9FA087F401BE.jpeg

The line was pretty long on cornice chair #6, so I opted to get early fresh tracks on Comstock off of solitude #11
81BCC62E-155D-4B5C-9017-126AA0378A93.jpeg
Still lots of shark bones and things got skied out fast, but what a beautiful day!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got stuck up in lot 4 at Rose today. By stuck I mean in the literal sense. Turned in where the attendant pointed and FLUMPH! the front tires sunk. Apparently the paved part ended well before the plowed part. I said screw it and went skiing. I figured if I was up in 4 and there were more behind my the lifts would be full but it was ski on for the time I was there. Great conditions, soft bumps on Lone Tree, same on Kit Carson.

While the snow was really nice it's not really what we need. Even where it was groomed it wasn't really compressed, more of a loose consolidation that was easy to dig into.

Thanks to @Philpug and @Tricia for hanging around until we could get someone from the hill to yank me out. A live and learn day to be sure! FYI, duallies suck in snow though I'm not sure a regular truck could have pulled up over the lip. Lots of digging and scraping to no avail.
20221202_123215.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Looks like a Utah snowpack!

The good news is that there is more precipitation on the way which will add to the base.
The bad news is that it looks like it will be coming in with fluctuating snow levels which could create on upside down snow profile, putting heavier snow on top of light snow with PWL as the foundation. Could be an interesting time for the Sierra backcountry.
Optimistically speaking, the weight of the coming snow could help crush the PWL over time.

just my amateur $.02

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Northstar Dec 2 (Friday)

For the first time in my life I'm uttering the phrase "Northstar was awesome today".

Due to work I got there about 10:15 or so with signs saying park in the ghetto, but decided to press on. Wouldn't you know it a great spot about 90 seconds walk from the U-turn at the Ritz Gondola. Still though, a lot of people.

Skied onto Arrow and then there was a mob at Comstock. Went to the top, and found perfectly nice woods in powder bowl with untracked......this was the theme for the day....the lift was mobbed, the parking lots were full, and no one was skiing. Most odd. I even found lots of untracked on the run at Stump Alley. Lapped that 3 times.

I think they reported 22" which was about right. It was VERY blower, but I had on my new from last season Praxis Protests (first time in the deep with them) and they floated high enough I hit zero sharks, although I wasn't full sending because I don't know any of the woods at Northstar particularly well. Stuck to lower angle for the most part because I was uncertain of coverage but boy did it work. That said, many pine saplings perished under my edges today. Defensible space clearance.

For anyone going in the morning, there are LOTS of face shots to be had in the woods yet....I would say deepest was the powder bowl area skiers right of Comstock, but the most untracked is further away, both in the woods over toward Vista and down toward Zephyr Lodge. A lot of Comstock glade was roped off for snowmaking underneath but I expect it will open tomorrow or Sunday. Whole backside and lookout should be tremendous as well.

It was light, dry, Utah like skiing. And for once I lucked out and dodged most of the BS between you and the snow at N*. I'm sure tomorrow will be busier because of Saturday, but hopefully it will be like today- lots of people there but no one skiing in the powder!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Numerous problems at Palisades Tahoe today.
The lift blog is rather candid !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online