• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Pequenita may be a sea level dweller, but she tolerated the heat better than I.
I have a very finely-honed sweat system after decades of living with humid summers.

Fun weekend at Palisades with @Tricia and @Keys2Ski on Saturday and in the b/c w/ @Rainbow Jenny yesterday! In case anyone is interested, the resort grooming first thing leaves a lot to be desired.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

You guys see Donny and Daryl out there?
Gets very meta. Donny calling Daron "Daryl" is totally on brand but then Daron starts calling Donny "Bobby" which makes you think maybe he hadn't learnt the character name but is actually probably a further iteration of the Daryl gag.

No idea how he keeps going with the style without shredding his knees.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a very finely-honed sweat system after decades of living with humid summers.

Fun weekend at Palisades with @Tricia and @Keys2Ski on Saturday and in the b/c w/ @Rainbow Jenny yesterday! In case anyone is interested, the resort grooming first thing leaves a lot to be desired.
I went flying unintentionally a few times on the groomers yesterday ....off piste was better :D

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alpine Meadows 5-21:

Went out skiing with work friends, ran into @SpeedyKevin and a crew while there.

Key observation: Skied a LOT better than it looked. Despite the very hot weather.

Started the morning on Sherwood- from 8:30 to 10 it skied quite well, and after seeing a few folks hitting the sun cups on South Face (the slightly less south facing pieces of it ;) decided to copy, accessing via traverse as the upward hiking road from Sherwood lift was very soft and spongy. It skied fantastic. Not corn- something else- but smooth, not grabby, not rutty. Maybe not as springy as corn, but real nice. Kind of like late season Smoothie in the other valley, which we really didn't get this year.

When Sherwood shut down we exited via Our Father (fantastic, though tricky for the hooligan boarder in my crew) and ran into our Skitlalk friends. Then moved to Summit.

Based on Our Father being good we started hitting Palisades, lower Keyhole, etc. Then shifted over to the Ds and Peril Ridge trees, also being very good. About that time the groomer exits started getting nasty grabby so we tried to decend via Sympathy Face, etc.

After eating too much at the Bavarian, shifted to Scott, where I have to say it's REAL good, but access is fading fast with key linkages getting burned out, so get it while you can. One great exception was Gentian- easy to get into via the usual way- still a ton of snow on top of the ridge there, though the area around the lift itself is burning out- and the trees skied awesome as did the Promised Land area late in the day we took for exit. Generally went down a little lower and traversed skier's left back into Promised Land as to avoid hiking at the bottom. It looked rotten - but was good. However, again, the snowboarder in our group was unhappy with the narrow single track between some monster tree wells so YMMV.

Got a little tired so ended the day with two laps of Chute that Seldom which also skied great.

Apart from groomed areas getting grabby late in a very hot day, the coverage and snow conditions were shockingly good. I really can't explain why. No overnight freeze. Perhaps the very deep snowpack is having kind of a glacier effect. As well as sensibly closing Sherwood before it gets rutty. But whatever. Great. Get out there!

Also skied Palisades on Saturday, which was good, but well covered elsewhere in the thread above.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Not corn- something else- but smooth, not grabby, not rutty. Maybe not as springy as corn, but real nice. Kind of like late season Smoothie in the other valley, which we really didn't get this year.
I think the southies may actually be transitioning to a summer snowpack from your description & my own observations.
Your day sounds very similar to my Friday & Saturday at Alpine!

Hit Palivalley today & ran into the Pugs. Great to have @Philpug join us for a few KT laps where we ended up doing 8 more on the West Face for an almost 30k day which I thought was pretty good considering we quit shortly after 1pm. No photos today but big soft slush bumps everywhere :).

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the southies may actually be transitioning to a summer snowpack from your description & my own observations.

Hit Palivalley today & ran into the Pugs. Great to have @Philpug join us for a few KT laps where we ended up doing 8 more on the West Face for an almost 30k day which I thought was pretty good considering we quit shortly after 1pm. No photos today but big soft slush bumps everywhere :).
8 west faces is….a lot….of bumps….props!

Keys2Ski

Getting on the lift
Skier

Here’s a photo. Nice meeting you IMG_3809.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Got out this morning for a solo tour on Mt. Tallac. I have mostly been doing lift served this year & taking advantage of the abundant snowfall so touring has been on the back burner. Today was really just a test for some new bindings & boots as I decided to retire my 30yo stuff before the plastic decided to disintegrate at an inopportune time.

After 45 minutes of bushwhacking l got to my happy place. I’ve been coming here since my teens & call this zone “Private Austria”. Tons of avalanche debris, broken branches & rushing creeks everywhere …
94E8F5C8-F452-4FC0-BB3A-EF9025E2D811.jpeg

I probably only skinned for about 1500’ but everything worked great & the views were an added bonus
5C7EE9D0-C86C-421E-8AE7-5E412B4413ED.jpeg

Seems that the suncupped, dirty snow has already transformed into a summer glacier like pack. Totally supportable even with temperatures approaching 60°. Not sticky but not fast either just kinda meh :) . Amazing how much snow is still around at the lower elevations but too bad that it’s all kind of a mess.
5D8AFB8C-874D-4F2C-BA6A-D280A57609AD.jpeg

D18E988F-4670-4E51-982B-461C945FB5FC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online