• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

Booting up
Skier
Thinking of pulling trigger on a solo alta trip dec 14-18 Anyone around wanna meet up and make a few turns?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Headed to Brighton today to test boots and work on turns. I left early and rolled into the lot at 7:45 to find I’d be parking in the third row. Waited for a half hour and just couldn’t believe the line of cars and crowds in the lodge.

I got back in the car, turned around and left. I’ll wade through a sh!t show (“SS”) but not a total sh!t show (“TSS”). Could not believe the traffic coming up as I headed down. First time ever I hit reverse like that not based on things like avalanche/closures. I’d rather watch football and marinate the filets. Maybe open an early bottle and marinate myself.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Very nasty slide off in lower LCC today. Vehicle flipped over and literally 20ft off into the woods. Would not recommend anyone coming up later today as getting the vehicle out of there will be a major major operation.

Hope the person is ok. I got there 5 or so minutes after the first rescue trucks (saw them ahead of me in Sandy). Fire/EMT people not working with much speed. Very good/very bad sign.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today did not suck! Except the fresh lines were gone in 30 minutes. A good foot of dry stuff, what a hoot. I hit a few dips where it was up to my knees. Unbelievable for November—hope it’s a 16-17 repeat where it was storm after storm all winter!
12D6299A-4A67-48C8-AEEF-E5A28F707550.jpeg

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Heading to the Cottonwoods this week (Thu-Sun) and interested in thoughts on what skis I should bring. Biggest concern is wheather to bring my rock skis or not - how is the coverage so far? My quiver is below, but I can only fly with two. Will be at Solitude/Brighton mostly, with a day at Alta/Snowbird.

Stockli WRT (180cm)
K2 Disruption TI2 (187cm)
Enforcer 94 (191cm) - oldest pair and my rock skis
Stockli Stormrider 105 (188cm)
Blizzard Rustler 11 (188cm)

Thoughts appriciated - leaning enforcer 94 (rock ski) and stormrider 105, but could be convinced to bring a carver in place of the 94 for some early morning runs (would be good to get some technique work in this early in the season).

Thanks!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to the Cottonwoods this week (Thu-Sun) and interested in thoughts on what skis I should bring. Biggest concern is wheather to bring my rock skis or not - how is the coverage so far? My quiver is below, but I can only fly with two. Will be at Solitude/Brighton mostly, with a day at Alta/Snowbird.

Stockli WRT (180cm)

Thoughts appriciated - leaning enforcer 94 (rock ski) and stormrider 105, but could be convinced to bring a carver in place of the 94 for some early morning runs (would be good to get some technique work in this early in the season).

Thanks!
Another storm forecast starting Friday. The Cottonwoods resorts have much better coverage than where I'm skiing, so I'll let those folks pipe in. That being said, bring some powder skis is my advice, as the forecast right now is showing snow all weekend. Not huge amounts, but the Cottonwoods resorts tend to do well either way.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier

Stockli WRT (180cm)

Thanks!
bring the Rustlers for sure:
osnow.png
Coverage at Alta has been tremendous. I wouldn't worry about bringing rock skis . whatever 2nd pair you want to play around on

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Stockli WRT (180cm)

Thanks!
The coverage has been decent prior to today. AltaBird both reported 17” in the last 24 hours and I skied knee deep up until lunch time today. I’d have to agree with @Lorenzzo, today did not suck.
Normally I would advise to only bring your carving skis to ensure the forecasted storm overproduces for the rest of us. Instead of that I would leave the rock skis at home and bring a ski that makes you smile while skiing it in soft snow.
I rode my Praxis GPO (116mm underfoot) today leaving the 128mm wide Praxis Protest at home.
Yesterday I was on my QST106 and other than poor visibility from the pounding snow, had a great time on them.
Snowbird was originally scheduled to open tomorrow, I’ve have had such a good time starting the season with a few more Bird days than Alta.
The Alta days are coming and am planning to ski everyday until I celebrate @Tony S and @mdf birthday and hope it will be a pow day like last season.

D5574BD6-3A49-4F83-BCE2-AFC8FF17C466.jpeg

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ditto for the not suck (at Alta at least). 17" at opening bell. Only a 4/10 on the crazy meter for roads/liftlines/yahoos. 30 minute delay at the open. I was 20th chair up Wildcat. Wow. Sooooooo good to be skiing powder with faceshots. Fresh lines remained all day if you knew where to look.

Tomorrow will be an AMAZING sleeper day.... Ballroom, backside, Yellow Trail, Glory Bowl, and Catherine's all never opened. I'd expect all of that to open by mid-morning.

@BmbrMcGnrly.... I'm calling it now... with the fresh snow and lack of tourists still, this weekend will at least be in contention for the best of the season... and probably be a top candidate. It wasn't early season skiing before this storm and it certainly isn't now! I know we're only at a 60" base but it's skiing like 80-90" range.... that October and pre-opening November snow was THICK and it stayed put.

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
@BmbrMcGnrly.... I'm calling it now... with the fresh snow and lack of tourists still, this weekend will at least be in contention for the best of the season... and probably be a top candidate. It wasn't early season skiing before this storm and it certainly isn't now! I know we're only at a 60" base but it's skiing like 80-90" range.... that October and pre-opening November snow was THICK and it stayed put.
Ahh I’m so excited! Thanks for the info all!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can someone advise what the lowest cost option is for my son and I to stay on mountain at Snowbird or Alta? Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.