• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Link has opening dates for UT resorts, those that have announced.

As @ss20 said, it looks like a high probability that the ski resorts will be able to open on their announced opening days. It has been a while since that has happened. The forecast is looking promising for the start of lift served ski season.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The hikers and skinners on the early season snow are very beneficial to "mix up" the layers of snow and help prevent formation of basal facets. It is actually part of the season avy mitigation plan at Alta. It is similar to the boot packing programs conducted by ski patrols at some Colorado resorts such as Aspen Highlands, Steamboat and others.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
All the major models are forecasting the potential for something big next Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. Still far away but models have all been very consistent.

From the NOAA SLC Discussion

The end of the long term period is when things appear to be more
active. A trough is expected to move down from the north and bring
increased chances for rain and snow to the CWA beginning Tuesday
night into Wednesday morning. While ensembles are confident in
this trough occurring, there is a decent amount of uncertainty
left with this storm. Ensemble members are split in how long this
trough will stick around our area for and how strong this trough
will be. A scenario with a stronger and slower moving system would
promote the area to prolonged chances of precipitation compared
to the faster and not as strong trough. Both scenarios bring about
precipitation chances. It is just a matter of how much.

Temperatures for the middle of next week will drop below normal.
It is just a matter of how much they will drop depending on the
strength and positioning of this trough.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These fronts are going to have to keep coming through and temps will have to remain low to avoid a PWL this year. It’s risky early for frozen precip in UT.

If we can avoid high pressure ridging over the next month it would a good sign during a La Niña and bode well for the season

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
These fronts are going to have to keep coming through and temps will have to remain low to avoid a PWL this year. It’s risky early for frozen precip in UT.

If we can avoid high pressure ridging over the next month it would a good sign during a La Niña and bode well for the season
Yup, as long as it keeps coming! IIRC 2009/10 began early & just kept on coming. 10/11 was big as well. Does anyone have data for those two seasons? I hope ski areas are cranking up their snow guns and taking advantage of this cool weather.
I am beginning to second-guess my plans to return to Tahoe for the early season.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have data for those two seasons?

Here's the Snow-Water equivalent graphs for the Snowbird Sno-tel site, with 2009 - 2011, the median, and 2023 highlighted. 2011 (2010-2011) is the big year and didn't really get going until the third week of November where it made a jump up. Then another big jump in late December. The median is the second lower, light green, line. And the bottom line is 2010 (2009-2010).

1666808129122.png

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I hope ski areas are cranking up their snow guns and taking advantage of this cool weather.
Looks like Snowbasin is making snow this morning. Little cat, school hill and middle bowl base areas.
That’s who my comment was directed to, they must’ve heard me ;). Gotta get it while you can!
Maybe some recent management changes will actually have an effect on returning the on hill experience to its former glory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online