• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
After skiing today, my oh my we need a refresh! Looks like a solid 8"-12" for most of the Wasatch tomorrow afternoon and Monday. Looking at the setup though, the bust potential is pretty high which worries me. Counting on a big "thump" of snow from 12-3 tomorrow then hopefully snow developing afterwards.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After skiing today, my oh my we need a refresh! Looks like a solid 8"-12" for most of the Wasatch tomorrow afternoon and Monday. Looking at the setup though, the bust potential is pretty high which worries me. Counting on a big "thump" of snow from 12-3 tomorrow then hopefully snow developing afterwards.
Forecasted snow totals ticked up by about 2" over night. That's a good sign!

ss20

Skier
10:40am and still just flurries here at Alta. They moved the forecast timing up so in theory the big thump of snow should be happening now. NOAA predicting 8-10" by 5pm... Gonna be tough to see that unless things change really quick. Would need to be 2" per hour sustained...

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My buddy and fellow Virginian @JohnL Skied with me today at Snowbird. At around 11 am the snow started and continued to intensify by the time we left at 1:45 pm
View attachment 191579 View attachment 191580
Good skiing with you today Jim. That is some early season form on my part. Still in the low single digits in skis days, but will get caught up soon. Coverage on the slopes is freaking amazing. Should be a great gathering.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought skiing at Alta today was a good time and then watched a group unload from a car and try to push it uphill towards the 210. The good times continued after they gave up and a minivan unloaded minutes later in the same spot and the push began.
With the Olympic car push qualifying happening in front of me and seeing the only cars moving were those exiting the parking lot by the fire station, I finally went around them and pointed out the sign with the flashing lights as I went past and stopped right in front of them. With traffic merging from the parking lot I now had one car between me and the minivan and was excited to see a driver change in the van taking place.
Luckily traffic was moving once past the ill equipped cars and I missed out on the outcome of the minivan.
It was a great day to ski Alta. :)
5ACF9C8F-7790-4C3D-BD16-FF35A1675DBA.jpeg

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowbird is reporting 11" total from the storm. Not bad. Looks like 2" more on Wednesday night.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
10:40am and still just flurries here at Alta. They moved the forecast timing up so in theory the big thump of snow should be happening now. NOAA predicting 8-10" by 5pm... Gonna be tough to see that unless things change really quick. Would need to be 2" per hour sustained...
I got to Alta about noon and had about 6 inches on the truck when i tried to depart sometime after 4. great skiing. ride home not so great . what a disaster it was out there.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks VERY busy at Snowbird on the webcams. When it's not a powder day, how long is the typical afternoon tram wait time? Right now it looks really long

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Went back up to Snowbird today (6 Feb 2023) and skied from 1-4PM with @JohnL
They reported about 11 new inches in last 24 hrs, it snowed some while we were there. Found some very good snow, knee deep in places.
Blurry shots of John in Peruvian Gulch, we used the lower Baldy traverse to get to this super snowy area:

john pow lower baldy.jpg
john lower baldy 6 feb snowbird.jpg
In the area of the Gad 2 lift:
john turn gad 2 area.jpg
john pow gad 2 feb 6.jpg

Attachments

• john pow lower baldy.jpg
    john pow lower baldy.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 5

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got to Alta about noon and had about 6 inches on the truck when i tried to depart sometime after 4. great skiing. ride home not so great . what a disaster it was out there.
Skied at Solitude from 9:00 to 11:40. Snow began falling just before 10:00 and started to really pound down around 11:00. Continued unabated until around 5:45, when it transitioned to moderate flurries. Roughly 9 - 10" on the vehicle when I left at 6:50. Reported 13" in the past 24 hours this morning and more fell during the day today. Traffic was backed up canyon past the Moonbeam entrance beginning at 2:15 and never relented until 6:35. Leaving at 6:50, we caught the red snake about halfway down to Silver Fork Lodge. Last weekend, leaving at 7:25 on Saturday evening, it took an hour and 35 minutes to arrive at the mouth. On Sunday it was not so bad: leaving at 6:45 it took an hour and 10 minutes to get to the mouth.

Both weekends virtually every single backcountry trailhead parking area in the canyon was massively over-parked. I don't think it would be exaggerating to estimate the number of cars parked along the canyon road outside Spruces to be between 175 to 200. That doesn't include the off- road parking in Spruces large car park but it's been greatly reduced in size by the mountains of snow plowed many, many, many days this winter. Reynolds Flat/Cardiff Fork and Mineral Fork were runners up with many dozen vehicles each. Silver Fork, Beartrap, Willow Lake, Butler Fork, the s-curves, and the trailheads around Solitude were also teaming with vehicles. No doubt those further up canyon from Solitude and along the open part of Guardsmen's were chock-a-block as well. On a sad note: https://www.ksl.com/article/50572654/skier-dies-in-little-cottonwood-canyon-fall

Today was yet another in the many dozen days this season that could be described as having absolutely stellar conditions.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks VERY busy at Snowbird on the webcams. When it's not a powder day, how long is the typical afternoon tram wait time? Right now it looks really long
On an average Thursday you should be able to get some rides with only 10 minute or less waits. It's hard to say.

ss20

Skier

1675732911377.png

Today was really really strong. Last year it would've been a top 5 ski day, this year it's normal. A little dense which was surprising and a little wind-affected but still really good. Solid 18" in spots. VERY little crowds. I think I knocked off about 7 runs in Supreme bowl from 10:30am-12:30am and every time I got plenty of untracked turns.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pano close up of Fantasy Ridge:
fantasy ridge close up solitude.jpg
Here's an eleven-year-old Ski Utah video (Patrolling Fantasy Ridge - Solitude Avalanche Control) featuring my neighbor Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January