• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I veered right thru untracked pow into Cobabe Canyon then to CLOSED Paradise lift. The lifty was still there and called patrol to take me out by snowmobile.
The snowmobile is much faster than the lift ;)

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Snowbird today. Groomers were fast, but we stay off them and mainly played in trees and bumps off gad2. Some places were more skied out than others but there was still some fun fresh to be had, esp. on Tiger Tail & Election. Mineral Basin was open, but the snow was crusty & sun affected so we returned to the frontside after 1 run.

We’re heading to Brighton Tuesday/Wednesday then back to the bird Thurs/Fri if anyone’s around. Orange jacket + orange helmet with a SkiTalk sticker on the back! (see avatar pic - taken at Brighton no less)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
H u I
What happened at DV in the past? Not the best layout for a resort.
do you really want to know ! ( else skip)
By year over 20 years with 1 day every 3 years give or take.
1 followed 20 locals down a run.Patrol stood at bottom & ripped off all our paper tickets. Stayed on upper lifts rest of day with no tix

2 mega demo tried the K2 “Stein Erickson” ski their most expensive ski Absolutely worst ski I ever skied in my life ! No edge hold & flapped up and down like a wet noodle. A worn out beginner ski out of the dumpster would be better.

3 while 2002 Olympics were on. On a non event day I tried to ski there. Security bus from a remote lot where we parked dropped us at very bottom of lot we had to walk a block in ski boots. Bus driver LIED. Said we get picked up later in same location. We marched down and we’re told pickup was at top so I tried to get DV guys to do something. Nada. Then tried to get 40 or us to stand in road. Everyone wimped out. Then took a town bus that was packed to point of absurdity. Lost ski boots in shuffle

4 wardrobe malfunction ski suspenders broke so pants would fall off. Lol
Jury rigged a fix with a small bungee cord from car.

5 skiing Lady Morgan lift & trees on skiers left then ended on trails and lilts not on DV map. Figured out I was skiing Park City on a DV lift ticket. They share a border in this area and in the woods the rope circled a weather building so It was not obvious but I did duck that rope. After a few PC runs I took a PC lift up to a patrol shack to ask how to get back to DV. They said too late as it was 3:30 & DV lifts in that area were closed. Said ski down PC & take a city bus to DV. City bus was fine. Left right away. They also said I had to have ducked a rope. I said no but on later thought I did. They also said this happens once a week when guys hike up at top where there are no ropes.

Now days with RFID scanners & ticket checkers everywhere 2 of the 5 could not happen

Last year fine (jinx has moved to PM.)
This year fine- excellent snow

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
H u I

do you really want to know ! ( else skip)
By year over 20 years with 1 day every 3 years give or take.
1 followed 20 locals down a run.Patrol stood at bottom & ripped off all our paper tickets. Stayed on upper lifts rest of day with no tix

2 mega demo tried the K2 “Stein Erickson” ski their most expensive ski Absolutely worst ski I ever skied in my life ! No edge hold & flapped up and down like a wet noodle. A worn out beginner ski out of the dumpster would be better.

3 while 2002 Olympics were on. On a non event day I tried to ski there. Security bus from a remote lot where we parked dropped us at very bottom of lot we had to walk a block in ski boots. Bus driver LIED. Said we get picked up later in same location. We marched down and we’re told pickup was at top so I tried to get DV guys to do something. Nada. Then tried to get 40 or us to stand in road. Everyone wimped out. Then took a town bus that was packed to point of absurdity. Lost ski boots in shuffle

4 wardrobe malfunction ski suspenders broke so pants would fall off. Lol
Jury rigged a fix with a small bungee cord from car.

5 skiing Lady Morgan lift & trees on skiers left then ended on trails and lilts not on DV map. Figured out I was skiing Park City on a DV lift ticket. They share a border in this area and in the woods the rope circled a weather building so It was not obvious but I did duck that rope. After a few PC runs I took a PC lift up to a patrol shack to ask how to get back to DV. They said too late as it was 3:30 & DV lifts in that area were closed. Said ski down PC & take a city bus to DV. City bus was fine. Left right away. They also said I had to have ducked a rope. I said no but on later thought I did. They also said this happens once a week when guys hike up at top where there are no ropes.

Now days with RFID scanners & ticket checkers everywhere 2 of the 5 could not happen

Last year fine (jinx has moved to PM.)
This year fine- excellent snow

Avoid Europe. You could end up in a different country at the bottom of your run.

Have you ever met Donny Pelletier? You two are indestructible.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Avoid Europe. You could end up in a different country at the bottom of your run.
We hired a guide once to go over top of Zermatt Swiss to Cervinia Italy. We had to return a hour early because a bad storm arrived, The guide was no where to be seen and Cervinia closed their tram. We had to ride 5 Poma lifts to get back. We found out later the guide was off chasing some woman, never found her & was stuck in Italy 3 days due to the storm! LoL

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What a sloppy mess at Snowbasin today. Knee injury snow X100. Tomorrow will be interesting with temps dropping into the upper teens tonight. I love how they Tweet out a "powder alert" for 5" of the nastiest, mankiest crap that only fell from 7500' and higher. No, I didn't go up there for the "powder alert" and laughed when they sent it out.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Spent today at Deer Valley. While there was some Sierra cement on some aspects, others had lighter powder that was fairly deep. The trees underneath Daly Chutes were particularly scrumptious.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What a sloppy mess at Snowbasin today. Knee injury snow X100. Tomorrow will be interesting with temps dropping into the upper teens tonight. I love how they Tweet out a "powder alert" for 5" of the nastiest, mankiest crap that only fell from 7500' and higher. No, I didn't go up there for the "powder alert" and laughed when they sent it out.
I was surprised to find that PC had a lot more snow than I expected at the higher elevations - typically we do well in a SW flow. The lower mountain however was sludge compacted into cement and rutted by the large number of tourons who braved the atrocious visibility. Apparently it’s spring break in Texas and Florida and huge swaths of the inhabitants of those states have descended upon Utah. As a public service announcement I advise locals to shelter in place until the deluge recedes!

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
I thought the skiing was pretty good yesterday. Fast and smooth. No face shots but 5-6” worked.
Yup, I totally agree! I got a little wet the first hour at Snowbasin but 5hrs of high speed surfing on JP was enough to have me sleeping hard last night. The best part was the fact that it was practically deserted, the worst part was the bottom 400' that was almost unskiable by 2pm. Still a solid 35'K day! :ogbiggrin:
Suns out today & so are the kooks ;)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hdg home, was At bird big crowd snow good 20230316_101156.jpg

Launching April 14, Snowbird is excited to play host to a Woodward Mountain Park experience located off Baldy Express in Mineral Basin. Culminating in the Woodward Peace Park Championships in May, Woodward Mountain Parks are a transformational and re-imagined approach to terrain parks with something for all levels of skiers and snowboarders to enjoy. cliff lodge 16 march.jpg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup, I totally agree! I got a little wet the first hour at Snowbasin but 5hrs of high speed surfing on JP was enough to have me sleeping hard last night. The best part was the fact that it was practically deserted, the worst part was the bottom 400' that was almost unskiable by 2pm. Still a solid 35'K day! :ogbiggrin:
Suns out today & so are the kooks ;)
A LITTLE wet? Holy cow, I took one run, forgot to dry my gloves, and they were still wet this morning.
If by kooks you mean the ones who line up 5 abreast across the middle of the run, then yes, they've been out most days this season! I had a lady ski down the bank in the Wildcat parking lot and nearly run into my car as I was driving out. It is frightening that these people also drive.

Things were firm firm firm down low and it didn't soften by noon. Marbles and sugar on some aspects. But up high was SWEET! Silky snow, no hard pack beneath. I was eyeing the MB Cirque as it's not so steep right now and man did it look tempting. And Lone Tree is like the 405 freeway--it's so wide!

4ster

Instructor
A LITTLE wet? Holy cow, I took one run, forgot to dry my gloves, and they were still wet this morning.
I brought 5 pairs of gloves but only used 2. Wore my raincoat the first hour but was fine after that.

Some gates opened today, so that helped but was surprised to see so many people on a Thursday in the middle of March!
Stellar day…
E5D3B109-60E7-483E-AE96-344E9D63F017.jpeg

21A72DA0-D057-4B41-A51C-58CE39CA7D59.gif

Last edited:

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought the skiing was pretty good yesterday. Fast and smooth.
Yup, I totally agree! I got a little wet the first hour at Snowbasin but 5hrs of high speed surfing on JP was enough to have me sleeping hard last night.
I totally agree as well. Snowed hard the majority of the time from first to last chair. The top half of the mountain was particularly sweet but the lower half was quite fun as well. I'd estimate at least 10" stacked up during the day on top of the 5" that fell overnight. Most gates at Solitude never opened but there were several exceptions: those accessing the high and low traverses out to Scree Slope and beyond and the Milk Run gate were available pretty early on and the lower 2 gates into Honeycomb from Eagle Ridge opened in the afternoon.

Seasonal snowfall totals at the CC resorts as of early this morning:
Brighton 699"
Alta 681"
Snowbird 625"
Solitude 623"

The issues addressed in this news story have been a problem virtually all season long (and in the past several seasons as well). Lots and lots and lots of vehicles received tickets last weekend. A great deal of them were parked as much as half the width of their car over the white line in the upbound lane. Those making the walk with their gear of up to a mile or so up canyon to the Moonbeam entrance (Entry 1) at Solitude occupied the remainder of said lane. I can only imagine how bad the parking must have been further up canyon. There was so much snow roadside that to park legally one had to bury their vehicle in the huge snowbank to get inside the white line. Many were unwilling to do that but were determined to ride/ski (in this case at substantial additional cost). Yesterday one of UDOT's big snowblowers was inching its way up and down BCC tackling the large quantity of snow stacked roadside, as well as dealing with all the avalanche debris between Butler Fork and Mineral Fork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online