• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Solitude also operates that way and can stay open late. Not sure why Alta doesn't but I don't think it is because they operate on some public land.

Solitude's private land mosaic doesn't hold a candle to that of Alta. And the cutoff at Alta isn't due to their USFS permit (which allows longer operation akin to Snowbird) but the private land holders who wish to access their properties in May. This often requires roads to be cleared, which means bifurcating essential runs on the Sunnyside/Albion end of the resort in order to run snowplows.

And yes, Alta may get a bonus weekend - possibly two - but that means paying the private homeowners to ensure said access.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was the best day of the season for me. It’s quieted down a fair amount, and my boots are finally feeling dialed. Sleeper powder day for sure. Still gets tracked out way faster than it used to, but I was able to get quite a few fresh lines and it was GLORIOUS!

1DF5D9F2-CB5B-41C3-8228-AADC1D8289AF.jpeg 7F3F87C8-54C6-4BF9-9BB5-60A79FAD62EF.jpeg 52B7CB8D-1951-41A7-9C41-7CE7CFA99343.jpeg 3ADCAB1D-AE64-4E2F-8556-09B2BB1F9E5C.jpeg 96CF63F5-671B-4BE8-9719-6F57A789F642.jpeg

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Solitude's private land mosaic doesn't hold a candle to that of Alta. And the cutoff at Alta isn't due to their USFS permit (which allows longer operation akin to Snowbird) but the private land holders who wish to access their properties in May. This often requires roads to be cleared, which means bifurcating essential runs on the Sunnyside/Albion end of the resort in order to run snowplows.

And yes, Alta may get a bonus weekend - possibly two - but that means paying the private homeowners to ensure said access.
Ah! That makes sense. I always wondered why Alta didn't stay open later. I knew it wasn't probably USFS issues as that didn't stop Solitude. Private landowner issues makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Got this in the mail today from Snowbasin. Does anyone know the reason the resort decided to cancel the Club Med deal?

See below for details:

Dear valued Pass Holder:

What an incredible ski season we’ve had together! And it isn’t over yet. We recently announced the extension of our season through Sunday, April 23. Add these days to the earliest opening on record, and Snowbasin will enjoy the longest winter season in the resort’s history. Pass holders are visiting in record numbers, and we could not be more excited. Thank you for choosing Snowbasin as your home mountain.

We want to take a moment and update you on our previously announced Snowbasin development plan. In the fall of 2021, Snowbasin and Club Med revealed their intention to construct an all-inclusive Club Med hotel at the base of Snowbasin. After extensive discussions, our two companies have decided not to pursue this project further.

In recent years, we have seen increasing demand at Snowbasin, fueled by the growing Utah tourism market and our continued significant investment in the resort. As we navigate this period of growth, we felt it right to reassess the path ahead, enabling us to focus on our central goal of providing a world-class ski experience to each of you.

Earlier this season, we announced the addition of the new DeMoisy Express, a six-person high-speed lift set to open later this year. This new lift will enhance the skier experience and provide additional lift capacity in the Strawberry area of the mountain. Our unyielding emphasis on guest service and satisfaction has led to Snowbasin being recognized as one of the top ski resorts in the United States.

We are proud of our independent spirit and commitment to operating a best-in-class mountain resort. We are surrounded by an exceptional team, and I want to publicly thank them for their dedication and tireless efforts in making Snowbasin a pillar within our community and industry. They are indispensable to our success.

We similarly want to thank you. We are beyond grateful for your loyalty, support, and encouragement. Our mission is to serve you, and we are proud to do it. Season passes for the 2023-24 season are already on sale. Rest assured that we will be working relentlessly to make next season as memorable as this record-setting one. Until then, let’s close out the 2022-23 season with a bang!

Sincerely,

Davy Ratchford

General Manager

Snowbasin Resort

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got this in the mail today from Snowbasin. Does anyone know the reason the resort decided to cancel the Club Med deal?

See below for details:

Dear valued Pass Holder:

What an incredible ski season we’ve had together! And it isn’t over yet. We recently announced the extension of our season through Sunday, April 23. Add these days to the earliest opening on record, and Snowbasin will enjoy the longest winter season in the resort’s history. Pass holders are visiting in record numbers, and we could not be more excited. Thank you for choosing Snowbasin as your home mountain.

We want to take a moment and update you on our previously announced Snowbasin development plan. In the fall of 2021, Snowbasin and Club Med revealed their intention to construct an all-inclusive Club Med hotel at the base of Snowbasin. After extensive discussions, our two companies have decided not to pursue this project further.

In recent years, we have seen increasing demand at Snowbasin, fueled by the growing Utah tourism market and our continued significant investment in the resort. As we navigate this period of growth, we felt it right to reassess the path ahead, enabling us to focus on our central goal of providing a world-class ski experience to each of you.

Earlier this season, we announced the addition of the new DeMoisy Express, a six-person high-speed lift set to open later this year. This new lift will enhance the skier experience and provide additional lift capacity in the Strawberry area of the mountain. Our unyielding emphasis on guest service and satisfaction has led to Snowbasin being recognized as one of the top ski resorts in the United States.

We are proud of our independent spirit and commitment to operating a best-in-class mountain resort. We are surrounded by an exceptional team, and I want to publicly thank them for their dedication and tireless efforts in making Snowbasin a pillar within our community and industry. They are indispensable to our success.

We similarly want to thank you. We are beyond grateful for your loyalty, support, and encouragement. Our mission is to serve you, and we are proud to do it. Season passes for the 2023-24 season are already on sale. Rest assured that we will be working relentlessly to make next season as memorable as this record-setting one. Until then, let’s close out the 2022-23 season with a bang!

Sincerely,

Davy Ratchford

General Manager

Snowbasin Resort
Someone on the lift today said bankruptcy by Club Med. I can’t find anything to corroborate that. There are some interesting articles that do indicate that they aren’t doing great financially.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-owner-said-to-weigh-options-for-resort-chain

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Even for destination Snowbasin skiers like me (I’ve made 7 week-long trips to the resort), it’s not a good fit: too expensive and not associated with a major points program like Bonvoy. Also, the all-inclusive piece is impractical for many folks. Pass holders don’t need the included ski passes, the pseudo lessons, and three huge meals a day. I’m not skiing back from Strawberry on a powder day too have lunch at Club Med.

NYT ran a review of the Le Massif Club Med here:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We'll be in LCC starting Sunday. Send me a PM if anyone wants to meet up. Our first time at Snowbird/Alta:daffy:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
DENSE snow at Snowbasin today. I only skied until 11--work calls. My boot setup continues to thrill me, and it was tested today in what would have been challenging conditions for me. It was a lot easier and more fun!

How was the snow at the higher elevation resorts?

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DENSE snow at Snowbasin today. I only skied until 11--work calls. My boot setup continues to thrill me, and it was tested today in what would have been challenging conditions for me. It was a lot easier and more fun!

How was the snow at the higher elevation resorts?
Very light snow at Soli today. Some of the best snow of the season.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Alot of tourists hiding in the lodges yesterday at Alta . Man was it hammering! We lapped Supreme all day, i love the trees over there . zero lift lines - Sugarloaf lift felt like the top of Everest with the wind and snow . got off that chair fast.

200 inch base and I still managed to find a rock that ripped my ski off
RXOB3066.JPG

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Pretty damn incredible what's happening in Utah and all over the West. A decade+ megadrought and now record snow and cold and precipitation. The drought monitor report for California is pretty much unfathomable. Utah's snotel sites are literally off the charts, especially in southern Utah where it's needed most. Down there the snowpack typically would've peaked 1-2 weeks ago and it's still flying upward and many sites are already wayyyy above record with more snow to come. Lake Powell is expected to rise 40-50 feet erasing 2 years of loss. The Great Salt Lake could theoretically continue to rise til July with a cool spring/summer as we're already expieriencing.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty damn incredible what's happening in Utah and all over the West. A decade+ megadrought and now record snow and cold and precipitation. The drought monitor report for California is pretty much unfathomable. Utah's snotel sites are literally off the charts, especially in southern Utah where it's needed most. Down there the snowpack typically would've peaked 1-2 weeks ago and it's still flying upward and many sites are already wayyyy above record with more snow to come. Lake Powell is expected to rise 40-50 feet erasing 2 years of loss. The Great Salt Lake could theoretically continue to rise til July with a cool spring/summer as we're already expieriencing.
So long as we don’t become complacent…
But yes, the gray skies are wearing on me, but it’s hard to complain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online