• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seasonal snowfall totals at the CC resorts as of early this morning (it snowed a lot throughout today so totals will be taking a big leap upward):
Brighton 743"
Alta 723"
Solitude 671"
Snowbird 663"
The Brighton Snotel is at a record for this date, and about to set a max record for any date!

1679716348567.png

Snowbird is also at record high for the current date(s), but has some way to go yet to set a max SWE record:

1679716414687.png

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not an efficient day. 2 1/4 hour drive up, 2 1/4 drive down, nearly 4.5 hours of interlodge, 1 hour lunch to warm up from near frostbite, and yeah, about 2.5 hours of skiing.

Supreme was closed all day - perfect storm skiing terrain - too much snow and not enough skiers was what I was told. Tomorrow will solve the not enough skiers issue…

Viz was impossible. Sugerloaf chair, fuggitaboutit. Headed there when I found out Supreme was closed. Felt like nice snow. Couldn’t imagine navigating High T today, the flat Wildcat traverse was a challenge enough. Could see about 4 chairs ahead on Wildcat, and supposedly there was a Collins lift to the left. In yonder clouds. Yonder clouds made it all the way down to Albion base briefly, around noon. Yay.

I felt like I was slumming, but riding up Sunnyside first run of the day at 11:15ish, I noticed Vail Chutes was untracked. Never pass up good snow to find good snow… First run down was epic, face shot every turn. Second run almost as good. On tomSupreme, doh!

I knew things were getting sketchy when after first run after lunch - one more drink from Vail well - Sunnyside lift closed! Did get one Wildcat run after that before they shooed us inside.

One more fun pic from lockdown.
185CE3E7-E61E-419E-A630-A4E6B74BCC8E.jpeg

Another fun pic this am in Sandy. More carnage than I’ve ever experienced in DC…. At least a dozen stuck vehicles in the right-hand lane, and in the remaining lane, vehicles would randomly get stuck. I thought it snowed a bit in SLC. And despite having some good friends from the state, Colorado drivers are the Mass-holes of the Rockies…

7EE09936-DDD4-4942-BE7F-34E27FE65190.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What was scary to me yesterday were the people who were passing those of us chugging along slowly in the right lane due to the horrific visibility more than road conditions. The left lane had not been plowed and the speeds those people were going combined with the ability to only see maybe 50 feet ahead (or less) was idiotic. It's no wonder there were so many accidents. Just coming down Trapper's Loop from Snowbasin had a few yikes moments where the snow was blowing over the guard rails so it went from fairly cleared road to snow-covered combined with the inability to see anything but the guard rail. It was a great teaching moment for my daughter who I explained that 1) I saw it coming and slowed down more without using my brakes and 2) I let the guard rail guide me, it was that disorienting. Of course, a jacked-up pickup truck still came running up on me. :rolleyes: Very glad we got out of there before the accident. The snow squall hit while we were in Weber Canyon and it was pretty wild!

Powder Mountain tomorrow :ogbiggrin:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
25 March 2023: Going up to Snowbird on a Saturday after a bunch of snow is not for the faint of heart. Vince and I drove up around 11:15 AM. Drive up was pretty smooth. Everyone was already there, most went up around 9:30 when the canyon opened after overnight closure.
We knew finding a parking spot would be tricky. They were not allowing parking on the access road and there was a big crowd by the time we arrived. We found a small opening at the end of a row of cars on bypass road. We dug it open with the shovel in our car and squeezed in.
Our spot was not as creative or as easy as the one this truck made for itself. Pretty amazing! He had monster truck type tires (and suspension, I guess).
truck on bypass 25 march.jpg

The wall erected by the bypass cat track is getting insanely high. It makes it difficult to get up and down from the road surface. A snowboarder in the center of this photo helped me get up onto the cat track.
bypass cat track 25 march.jpg

Peruvian and Mineral chairs were not open when we started skiing around noon so we headed to Gadzoom where there was a healthy crowd. Look at the snow on top of the base terminal structure. It's a hood ornament built by Ullr!
gadzoom base terminal 25 march.jpg

Around 3 PM I took a run down Great Scott. The entire Cirque has so much freaking snow in it right now! This photo doesn't capture what's up there.
cirque view 25 march.jpg

We had trouble later getting out of our improvised parking spot and some nearby friendly guys quickly pulled us out with a tow rope, back-center of photo.
parking 25 march.jpg

I guess we'll try going up again tomorrow. Maybe bright and early? Only light snow expected next 24 hours.

PS: Subaru Winterfest is going on this weekend. We got some swag and snacks. I got to demo some Nordica Enforcer 104's at a length of 186cms. Too much ski for me. Made me appreciate what I've got.

Tonyr4

Putting on skis
Skier
Not an efficient day. 2 1/4 hour drive up, 2 1/4 drive down, nearly 4.5 hours of interlodge, 1 hour lunch to warm up from near frostbite, and yeah, about 2.5 hours of skiing.

Supreme was closed all day - perfect storm skiing terrain - too much snow and not enough skiers was what I was told. Tomorrow will solve the not enough skiers issue…

Viz was impossible. Sugerloaf chair, fuggitaboutit. Headed there when I found out Supreme was closed. Felt like nice snow. Couldn’t imagine navigating High T today, the flat Wildcat traverse was a challenge enough. Could see about 4 chairs ahead on Wildcat, and supposedly there was a Collins lift to the left. In yonder clouds. Yonder clouds made it all the way down to Albion base briefly, around noon. Yay.

I felt like I was slumming, but riding up Sunnyside first run of the day at 11:15ish, I noticed Vail Chutes was untracked. Never pass up good snow to find good snow… First run down was epic, face shot every turn. Second run almost as good. On tomSupreme, doh!

I knew things were getting sketchy when after first run after lunch - one more drink from Vail well - Sunnyside lift closed! Did get one Wildcat run after that before they shooed us inside.

One more fun pic from lockdown.
View attachment 198080

Another fun pic this am in Sandy. More carnage than I’ve ever experienced in DC…. At least a dozen stuck vehicles in the right-hand lane, and in the remaining lane, vehicles would randomly get stuck. I thought it snowed a bit in SLC. And despite having some good friends from the state, Colorado drivers are the Mass-holes of the Rockies…

View attachment 198081
No thanks to a day like that! It interlodged when we were there over the holidays. We left right before Alta closed for multiple days, the traffic as we were coming down the canyon that morning was insane. What people didn't realize sitting in all that traffic on the way up was they were waiting to ski windy, low visibility conditions.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Visibility at the Bird was very rough most of the day, but the snow every where was amazing. Even the generally sun and temp affected lifeline at the very bottom of the Gadzoom lift looked pretty nice. So much consistent new snow that don’t know if there are any heinous rutted bumps anywhere on the mountain. Sun did poke through mid afternoon for two runs under the Little Cloud lift - superb packed powder.

Gad 2 and Gadzoom lifts were packed during the AM, since the viz was so bad. Apparently Mineral Basin opened just before noon, so the front side was empty. Not sure how well MB skied.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 198265
Wearing our cheap sunglasses from Subaru winterfest at snowbird, 26 march 2023
While the fashion show was happening at the Mid Gad restaurant, some skied off with my skis, leaving me with a pair of rental skis that I could not click into... With help of the rental sticker on the skis, was able to eventually get my skis back. Per Snowbird Mountain hosts, this happens all the time at Mid Gad! No idea how the other skier was able to ski down in bindings that were set too big.

Instead of messing with rental bindings, the hosts asked me to take the rentals down the hill by hoofing up a bit to the top of the Mid-Gad lift and ride the lift down. Holy crap, riding down that lift is scary as all get out, even with the safety bar down. That face is steeeep, and you are looking into the void. Having skis and poles across your lap doesnt help.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
My firsthand report on Snowbasin finally posted:

This forum was a great source of information. THANK YOU!

I talk about how the resort has changed since I last skied there in 2019, and the experience of relying 100% on public transit (UTA) during the trip. I did not want to believe it going into the trip but as @AmyPJ and others have said, there has definitely been some decline in the quality of the place since 2019. With that being said, I will definitely return next year if we get snow anything like this year—perhaps pairing it with Sundance.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I talk about how the resort has changed since I last skied there in 2019, and the experience of relying 100% on public transit (UTA) during the trip. I did not want to believe it going into the trip but as @AmyPJ and others have said, there has definitely been some decline in the quality of the place since 2019. With that being said, I will definitely return next year if we get snow anything like this year—perhaps pairing it with Sundance.
Nice write-up... glad you had a great trip and the train/bus approach is interesting though probably not something I'd do.

"On Tuesday, there was a group from Ski Talk on the mountain. We did not join them because we were skiing that day with a snowboarder friend..."

Sorry we didn't meet up! For future reference, a snowboarder in the group is no reason not to... we often have snowboarders around! If you're sliding on snow, you're good. :D

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"If Snowbasin wants to encourage patrons to take public transportation, they need to make life easier for riders. A free ski check for bus riders would be a step in the right direction. Another suggestion would be to move the UTA bus stop, which now sits downslope from the Yurt, back to Moose passage near Earl’s Lodge. That closer, upslope stop is now used for parking lot shuttles and as drop off parking for automobiles. Why is Snowbasin favoring drivers over transit riders?"

Nice article. I think these suggestions would certainly help increase ridership on the buses.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@Rudi Riet

I stand corrected. There is an article in the Salt Lake Tribune this morning that states the following

"Add permit restrictions to that list for resorts on United States Forest Service land. For example, Alta and Brighton, which are both on Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest property, are obligated to end their seasons April 23 and April 30, respectively. Resorst on private land generally have more latitude but, for a variety of reasons, seem unwilling to flex it."

So Alta and Brighton are indeed limited by their USFS permit. Interesting because while Solitude owns a lot of their land, they still have some USFS permits, particularly a good portion of Honeycomb Canyon. Interesting Solitude is not limited in the same way as Alta and Brighton in terms of ski season. Perhaps because they can go ahead and easily run without Honeycomb open if that is a limiting factor.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Excellent write-up! Why am I not surprised that the group from the DC area relied on mass transit, where mass transit is a huge part of daily life, and not just for commuting? It's awesome that you did! I was shocked to read that the busses were sometimes full and turning people away. A gripe that locals have is that the busses only run around opening and closing times. I do know a lot of employees ride the bus.

I can't believe they charged you to store their skis. Yeah, that's just cheap. Where did you stay and eat in Ogden? We live really close to downtown and love heading down there. Our favorite place to eat is The Angry Goat Pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.