• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I woke up to snow coming down here in LCC. Having a cosy start then we'll be at Alta today. Any tips??

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The opposite is a better approach. Get in the trees or even near them and it’s like putting on magic glasses. Open groomers are rough in bad vis.
Knowing her and her partner, I’m sure they were on the edge of the groomers, in or near the trees.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I woke up to snow coming down here in LCC. Having a cosy start then we'll be at Alta today. Any tips??
I like to start real easy there, riding Sunnyside from Albion base. You might see a porcupine in the trees from the lift. There are some green and blue runs off that lift, and a few options to go through the trees. From there it’s easy to head over to Sugarloaf or Supreme lifts. How old and confident is your daughter now? How are the conditions?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks @luliski . She's almost 10 and extremely confident (as only those who have been skiing since a toddler can be;)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @luliski . She's almost 10 and extremely confident (as only those who have been skiing since a toddler can be;)
You’re going to have so much fun! Hope the visibility is ok. Keeping track of the kid would be my concern with a confident kid, deep snow and new-to-you area, especially if the visibility is poor.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Excellent write-up! Why am I not surprised that the group from the DC area relied on mass transit, where mass transit is a huge part of daily life, and not just for commuting? It's awesome that you did! I was shocked to read that the busses were sometimes full and turning people away. A gripe that locals have is that the busses only run around opening and closing times. I do know a lot of employees ride the bus.

I can't believe they charged you to store their skis. Yeah, that's just cheap. Where did you stay and eat in Ogden? We live really close to downtown and love heading down there. Our favorite place to eat is The Angry Goat Pub.
After I ended up using the bus on most powder days in 2019 (usually parking at Rainbow Gardens), I wondered why I was paying over 1K to rent an all-wheel drive SUV, especially since the airport connects easily with Ogden via TRAX and Front Runner and most Ogden Hotels are near the UTA bus to Snowbasin and Powder Mountain. Not renting the car easily paid for demo rentals at the mountain for myself and my wife plus lunches at the mountain and then some.

However, these days I would not use the Rainbow Gardens stop on a powder day. The bus turned away people there on one powder day. It’s better to catch it in Ogden, especially if you want a seat. Some of the bus drivers really deserve a shout out. They were incredibly nice and excellent ambassadors for the community. They also know how to drive in rough conditions.

We stayed at Home2Suites. It was good and I racked up some Hilton points in the process. It also had laundry, which allowed us to pack light. I’ve stayed in the past at Airbnbs but I sort of gravitate now towards hotels for points and ease of cancellation. With all the great dining options in Ogden, having a kitchen is unecessary.

We ate at Tona Sushi, Slackwater Pizza, Bangkok Thai, and Juan Pablos. All good. I’ll have to try Angry Goat next time. We often go to Roosters and Rovalis—also good choices, and we LOVED the Sapori Bakery for après ski pastries and coffee. The restaurant scene in Ogden keeps getting better with every trip. It’s a great town. I like it much more than SLC.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We skied Powder Mountain yesterday. It was incredible, and quiet! I commented halfway through the day that it was so relaxing despite some poor visibility, because I wasn’t fearing for my life due to yahoos. It’s what Snowbasin used to be. It was also crazy cold for late march-12 degrees! Therefore no pictures. My husband did catch me riding the poma LOL! View attachment trim.6C2BFB60-370E-46E1-BB09-E913A0699E09.MOV

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It has been deep lately, but also somewhat heavy by Utah standards. I saw lots of people plain old stuck when they went off the groomer on Sunnyside. It could be fun for a kid, I suppose. :) The rope tow is *not* running because of a part issue, so your "easiest" way back to Wildcat if you make your way to Albion is to either skate the length of the tow (ugh) or to make sure EBT is open. Over Friday/the weekend, it was not open until Sunday. Have fun!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Alta........Never seen Mt. Baldy look like this
View attachment 198423
Incredible!!

Now the question is if this is the best ski season ever? Article in the Salt Lake Tribune this morning mentions that. This season has been incredible, but I am not sure if it's a no brainer to call this the best ever as an lot of the snow we have had as been wetter and heavier than usual by Utah standards.

We could indeed have a very long ski season, but it's going to depend on how quickly it warms up. call me spoiled, but I don't enjoy refrozen crud or too warm of snow where it becomes grabby. The base is definitely there, but for my purposes the temps are going to control the length of the season.

What do people think? Greatest Utah ski season ever?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For your first morning, 3/27/23 you are experiencing the legendary "country club" skiing. The slopes are open, a big overnight dump, and the access road is closed !!!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Incredible!!

Now the question is if this is the best ski season ever? Article in the Salt Lake Tribune this morning mentions that. This season has been incredible, but I am not sure if it's a no brainer to call this the best ever as an lot of the snow we have had as been wetter and heavier than usual by Utah standards.

We could indeed have a very long ski season, but it's going to depend on how quickly it warms up. call me spoiled, but I don't enjoy refrozen crud or too warm of snow where it becomes grabby. The base is definitely there, but for my purposes the temps are going to control the length of the season.

No. Crowds are a factor. My husband who has skied here his whole life would also agree that the snow quality is not what it used to be. That aside, the hassles of getting to the resorts due to Ikon coupled with getting trampled by frenzied powder hounds makes it a much less fun year IMO than 2016-17.

As I predicted, everyone has gone to Snowbasin. Except, nothing is open except Wildcat! Parking is almost full. Wildcat lot is closed as they are digging it out. I’ll be curious to hear @4sters report.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Incredible!!

only my 9th winter in Utah so an easy answer in my limited experience. Taking the headaches out of the equation, from a pure skiing perspective i cannot imagine it getting any better!!!

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We skied Powder Mountain yesterday. It was incredible, and quiet! I commented halfway through the day that it was so relaxing despite some poor visibility, because I wasn’t fearing for my life due to yahoos. It’s what Snowbasin used to be. It was also crazy cold for late march-12 degrees! Therefore no pictures. My husband did catch me riding the poma LOL! View attachment 198422
Those pomas can be an adventure as most people rarely see them. I'd bet you could get some funny videos of fails if you stayed there for 1/2 the day.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Those pomas can be an adventure as most people rarely see them. I'd bet you could get some funny videos of fails if you stayed there for 1/2 the day.
Yeah, it's been I think 4 years since I'd ridden it and I was hoping I'd remember how :roflmao:

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Incredible!!

Agree that it's been too wet and heavy most days. Lots of slop skiing and mixing. The December snowcycle was fantastic with lots of blower pow, but that's the only time I can remember reliable, light powder this season. Almost every single storm has come from the south.

Also being at Alta skier the mountain has been 50% closed for 80% of the time it seems. I have not seen East Castle open at all. Devil's Castle has been open maybe 15 days. Even Backside has been closed weeks at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.