• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alta and Snowbird just announced that they will not open today. Interlodge still in effect w/ no ETO.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
BCC been closed all am, opens at noon. :ogbiggrin:

...provided they can stabilize the slide zones. And I'm thinking that'll be tougher than advertised.

I've seen some gnarly slides in BCC in my day and this time of year is when they pack the biggest wallop. I can see UDOT taking it extremely cautiously today.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Alta and Snowbird just announced that they will not open today. Interlodge still in effect w/ no ETO.

Hellgate got hit from what I'm hearing. They want to hit the slide path above the Peruvian but are concerned about that getting hit.

Doubt they open Monday at this this rate either. Luckily the extended forecast shows high pressure after that system moves through.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hellgate got hit from what I'm hearing. They want to hit the slide path above the Peruvian but are concerned about that getting hit.

Whee! Sounds like the typical slide patterns - at least the structures are built to withstand most hits.

Doubt they open Monday at this this rate either. Luckily the extended forecast shows high pressure after that system moves through.

So ye olde inversion will arrive for April? Ugh.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This week we reached "critical mass" at Alta in regards to snow depth. The Collins snow sensor can no longer measure base depth (240" is the max). Lift ops has dug out a trench for the return to Wildcat side at the top near Albion for the rope tow. The rope is dragging along the entire length of the tow and the towers cannot be raised further. Same with Snowpine and I believe Wildcat. 60% or so of the upper portion of the Collins lift needs to be dug out severely now with this storm. Not roped off, dug out. There is no more room to store parking lot snow at either base. It was fun times but now it is draining. And a HUGE tax on resources especially as hands become fewer and fewer as the season ends.
I think this is happening at all the resorts. The mounds of snow in the parking lots, the gullies dug out at the base of the lifts, the places roped off under the lifts, are just insane. Snowsports staff are being pulled in to man lifts and dig out, etc. due to J1s going home.

I can't wait for the high pressure system. Never thought I'd say that. I just hope it doesn't flip to 80 degrees as flooding will be catastrophic.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No. Crowds are a factor. My husband who has skied here his whole life would also agree that the snow quality is not what it used to be. That aside, the hassles of getting to the resorts due to Ikon coupled with getting trampled by frenzied powder hounds makes it a much less fun year IMO than 2016-17.

As I predicted, everyone has gone to Snowbasin. Except, nothing is open except Wildcat! Parking is almost full. Wildcat lot is closed as they are digging it out. I’ll be curious to hear @4sters report.
This season has actually been pretty mediocre in my view. Mostly for these reasons.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Was a good day yesterday. Maybe a bit heavier snow, but zero crowds. Seemed like the right day to be up there this week.
Yes, yesterday was pretty sweet. The sun peaked out a few times. The snow was weird off-piste with the rain layer. I saw a lot of wipe outs and sleds.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think this is happening at all the resorts. The mounds of snow in the parking lots, the gullies dug out at the base of the lifts, the places roped off under the lifts, are just insane. Snowsports staff are being pulled in to man lifts and dig out, etc. due to J1s going home.

I can't wait for the high pressure system. Never thought I'd say that. I just hope it doesn't flip to 80 degrees as flooding will be catastrophic.
Would be nice to get some corn skiing in here before the lift served season is over.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't wait for the high pressure system. Never thought I'd say that. I just hope it doesn't flip to 80 degrees with rain as flooding will be catastrophic.

FIFY

That was the catalyst for the 1983 floods: record snowfall year with a huge temperature swing accompanied by rain in the mountains meant rapid release of the water in the snowpack.

And yes, the flood abatement systems in the valleys are a lot better than they were back then but it would still be catastrophic for those in the historic flood plains. Those creekside manses along Emigration Creek, Big Cottonwood Creek, Mill Creek, the Provo River, or the Weber River? They'll have some issues.

And add to that the mudslide potential for the saturated and not-overly-verdant foothills. Mudslides in Davis, Box Elder, Carbon, and Utah counties were a big problem. Anybody here remember Lake Thistle?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FIFY

That was the catalyst for the 1983 floods: record snowfall year with a huge temperature swing accompanied by rain in the mountains meant rapid release of the water in the snowpack.

And yes, the flood abatement systems in the valleys are a lot better than they were back then but it would still be catastrophic for those in the historic flood plains. Those creekside manses along Emigration Creek, Big Cottonwood Creek, Mill Creek, the Provo River, or the Weber River? They'll have some issues.

And add to that the mudslide potential for the saturated and not-overly-verdant foothills. Mudslides in Davis, Box Elder, Carbon, and Utah counties were a big problem. Anybody here remember Lake Thistle?
Yes, the rain, too. Happened in central CA in 1996 (??) when I was living in Sacramento. The difference there was that the major rivers were held by levies, and many of the levies broke.

I live near the Ogden River (but about 3/4 mile away) and it does have me a bit nervous. Grateful to not have a basement right now.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
To be fair, you can't just blame LCC skiers for the SB cluster. BCC been closed all am, opens at noon. :ogbiggrin:
I blame snowboards :duck:(not necessarily snowboarders, just the slides they ride & the cars they drive).

I live about a mile from the highway in a residential area. The plow who has been pretty dang good all winter did not make it this morning. Although I have AWD and good tires my vehicle has very low clearance. There are some pretty steep hills in that mile although it is mostly downhill. With about a foot of dense snow and 6 inches of clearance I was a little reluctant but decided I would go for it, after all I have never been stuck in 50 years of snow driving. My wipers were on full blast as the snow relentlessly billowed over my hood into my windshield as I plowed the road myself wit my grill. I am happy to report that my record is still intact but when I got to the intersection of the highway there was a school bus stuck and I don’t think I would have made it back home had I needed to.

Anyway, I slid right onto the somewhat plowed Powder Mountain Road and although narrowed to almost one lane the drive up the hill with no one in front or behind me was a relief (I think they were all stuck in the valley or canyon). There was a slight delay (maybe 9:15) to open Timberline, Sundown & Hidden Lake & Paradise was not too far behind those. A house explosion had Sunrise Poma, Village & Mary's closed till the Fire Marshal finishes investigation. Powder Country opened around 11ish & AFAIK Lightning ridge was also open. It was Military appreciation day which is a yearly free day & attracts a lot of snowsporters who probably only go once a season which made the day a sell-out & probably quite a bit busier than it may have been. I had a pre-scheduled afternoon meeting & quit at 1pm but had some great untracked runs up until then & thankfully a path plowed almost to my house.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Does anyone have insider knowledge on what happens if you no-show on an IKON Brighton reservation? We're trying to go up tomorrow, but I'm a little worried that some combo of weather and traffic is going to make it impossible. The stuff I can find on the IKON site just says that there "may" be consequences of your pass getting blocked for up to 30 days – is there any leeway on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.