• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had to renig on a reservation to Taos and called Ikon. They said don't worry about it. Said you may get a warning email but unless you do this multiple times, they won't punish you. They want to sell you a pass for next season. ogwink

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I had to renig on a reservation to Taos and called Ikon. They said don't worry about it. Said you may get a warning email but unless you do this multiple times, they won't punish you. They want to sell you a pass for next season. ogwink

Perfect, good to know! Thank you!

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Perfect, good to know! Thank you!
You can also cancel by I think 11 am MT same day, if it looks like you won’t make it up.

Brighton is new to reservations this year, so I’ve heard stories they seem to be more lenient on no-shows there.

Can I cancel a reservation?​

Yes, an Ikon Pass holder may cancel a reservation they have made for themselves or anyone on their Ikon Pass account by 11am MT on the day of the scheduled reservation. Any "no-shows”, visits without an active reservation or other misuse or violations of the reservation program may result in penalties.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The app sucks for Ikon cancellation, May have to use the website for that. So, have the username/password handy or stored on yer phone.

And skiing reservation does not guarantee parking, unless you paid separately for parking.

B4Skiing

Booting up
Skier
Hey all - Flying in from Philadelphia tomorrow with kids and wife - heading to Alta for 5 days. Timing appeared great from afar but I'm concerned how much snow is too much snow. Outside of my concerns for resort being open.. i don't have fat skis in the quiver so planned to rent demo's at Albion shop - they said their stock is low due to end of season sales. I talked to EVO sports in SLC, & they sound like a better shot for quality demos & easy to hit from SLC. My question is ... for East Coast skier who never skiid powder - how wide should I go? EVO guy said the had Black Crowes Artis @ 105, other stuff wider but was in hurry to get off phone and didn't have chance to hash out. This time of year no reservations, it s first come first serve. Im Advanced intermediate can do groomed blacks no problem but i never skiied powder, & I expect my 2× 12 year old boys to get after whatever stash they can find, and i want to keep up if I can. We have guide booked for Sunday to orient and learn mountain. Hopefully we don't have to interlodge...looks nuts out there... perspective @ PHL we recorded .25inch this season. Thanks

Bill

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you haven't spent any significant time on fat skis then 105 may be as wide as you want to go.

I'm a Utah native who coaches in PA and mostly skis in the east. My Utah skis are Nordica Enforcer 100s: a ski that is fine in the pow but also can carve with confidence on groomed and firm snow.

Evo will have good demo stock. Sports Den and Lift House may also have good options for you.

Have fun!

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey all - Flying in from Philadelphia tomorrow with kids and wife - heading to Alta for 5 days. Timing appeared great from afar but I'm concerned how much snow is too much snow. Outside of my concerns for resort being open.. i don't have fat skis in the quiver so planned to rent demo's at Albion shop - they said their stock is low due to end of season sales. I talked to EVO sports in SLC, & they sound like a better shot for quality demos & easy to hit from SLC. My question is ... for East Coast skier who never skiid powder - how wide should I go? EVO guy said the had Black Crowes Artis @ 105, other stuff wider but was in hurry to get off phone and didn't have chance to hash out. This time of year no reservations, it s first come first serve. Im Advanced intermediate can do groomed blacks no problem but i never skiied powder, & I expect my 2× 12 year old boys to get after whatever stash they can find, and i want to keep up if I can. We have guide booked for Sunday to orient and learn mountain. Hopefully we don't have to interlodge...looks nuts out there... perspective @ PHL we recorded .25inch this season. Thanks

Bill
What skis do you ski in PA? What groomed blacks do you normally ski? I’m from DC area.

Agree with @Rudi Riet ’s post. Go wider than you normally ski, but no wider than 105. If you normally ski 75, maybe 95 is what you want. If you’ve never skied deep Pow, you’ll struggle with it, no matter what skis you are on. As will likely your sons. And the powder will get skied out quickly, so you’ll mostly be skiing deep cut-up snow. It will be deeper than you’ve ever skied. You’ll have fun though.

What most of us on this board consider a stash is likely a lot different from what your 12 yo sons consider a stash.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How often do they do avi mitigation near the canyon roads via helicopter? Rambo!

More often than they used to when they had the howitzers along the road.

These days they use more choppers and more drones to deliver explosives where they're needed. And the sonic devices you see at resorts are another game changer.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was a very impressive amount of snow lining both sides of the BCC road between mileposts 7 and 10 when I headed up-canyon soon after it reopened around noon today. UDOT no doubt did their best to clear avi debris from the many slides that buried the road under up to 10' depths in multiple locations but the roadside snow piles encroached well over the white lines on both sides of the highway for considerable distances along said 3-mile stretch. One of the big UDOT snowblowers was staged just down canyon from the active avalanche area and I imagine it is busy now and will be all night long, tasked with widening the drivable part of the road. If this keeps up, I'll be able to (somewhat) replicate the experience I've had twice in the past cycling from Red Lodge, MT up over Beartooth Pass and into Wyoming and back soon after MDT cleared "snow tunnels" through the deep snow in multiple high-elevation locations.

I heard many reports today from employees and guests at Solitude that it took over an hour just to enter the mouth of the canyon from the north, south, and west due to the competing long lines of vehicles and another 30 - 40 minutes to reach the resort once in the canyon. Yesterday afternoon it took 1.5 hours for @Jim Kenney, his son Vince, and myself to travel from Solitude - Moonbeam to Wasatch Blvd. due to two multi-vehicle accidents bringing traffic to a crawl.

Mrs @Wasatchman leading the way into Memorial Chute, deeply!
kim memorial chute 30 march.jpg
Prior to yesterday, I'd hiked with but never skied with Mrs. @Wasatchman. Wow K, you were killing it!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa. Our road trip to Utah was cancelled.for family reasons. Was sad about that but not so much now!

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Parking reservations make sense at these resorts with finite parking resources, to be honest. That area is all SLC watershed and they need to do something to rein in the chaos.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I’m not fooling, it wasn’t snowing today. The sun wasn’t exactly bright but it wasn’t snowing so I looked back & took a photo…
4D49C9DA-6C17-4141-86CE-676129494DE0.jpeg

Oh, it wasn’t freezing ass cold either ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.