• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
19 may 2023 , short but fun visit to snowbird, noon to almost 2pm, fast slushy fun all over the mtn. 20230519_124940.jpg
Regulator skied very well, did it twice!
20230519_123627.jpg 20230519_121650_01.jpg
Roller ball in North chute
20230519_120103.jpg

Also, posted today on Snowbird website:

Following a record-breaking winter season, Snowbird will close after Memorial Day for scheduled Tram maintenance and re-open, conditions permitting, for skiing and snowboarding on Father’s Day weekend, June 17-18, 8 am - 2 pm. Snowbird will assess conditions for the following weekends to determine if we can remain open for skiing and riding, including the four days of Fourth of July weekend.

We'll also be unveiling our brand-new Tram rooftop balconies—the first and only of their kind in North America—scheduled to open on June 17. The new balconies will offer breathtaking, 360-degree views of Little Cottonwood Canyon and will remain available to Scenic Tram Ride guests as an upgrade for the entirety of the summer season.

Attachments

• 20230519_121650_04.jpg
    20230519_121650_04.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Vince in the Woodward Peace Park, Snowbird, UT, 21 May 2023, from the front:
v jump front better 21 may.jpg
from the back:
v jump park better 21 may.jpg

Attachments

• v jump high 21 may.jpg
    v jump high 21 may.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 14

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Skied some of the deepest slush ever in Chamonix bowl at the bird yesterday . Pretty steep area, brown snow. super soft. amazing how much snow we were pushing down the mountain . good times. excellent spring skiing all weekend.
halfpipe victim
IMG_1434.JPEG
Mineral
IMG_E6523.JPG
alot of snow left
IMG_E6530.JPG

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The terrain park on Baldy was a HUGE success this season. That is an amazing use of terrain off that lift which, IMO, is the most ho-hum of any terrain in LCC. It certainly got attention out there about Snowbird/Woodward and Baldy was the most popular lift by a longshot on Sunday. I am hoping it becomes a permanent fixture in future years. Heck, the first week it was open at any given time you'd see about 20-40 people at the AltaBird connection watching the crazies do their thing... myself included. Got a lot of people talking, that's for sure.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
The terrain park on Baldy was a HUGE success this season. That is an amazing use of terrain off that lift which, IMO, is the most ho-hum of any terrain in LCC. It certainly got attention out there about Snowbird/Woodward and Baldy was the most popular lift by a longshot on Sunday. I am hoping it becomes a permanent fixture in future years. Heck, the first week it was open at any given time you'd see about 20-40 people at the AltaBird connection watching the crazies do their thing... myself included. Got a lot of people talking, that's for sure.
yeah man. that area is such the perfect spot for the Park features! they should run it all season. great just hanging out watching. seen some serious talent out there

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah man. that area is such the perfect spot for the Park features! they should run it all season. great just hanging out watching. seen some serious talent out there

The spanner in the works is that the crew that built the park is usually stationed at Woodward Park City (i.e. the former Gorgoza Tubing Park i.e. the long-defunct Parley's Summit Ski Area where I happened to learn to ski). They were free to move to Snowbird after the Summit County location closed shop for the season - the benefit of common ownership (and much like some Deer Valley staff did in pivoting to Solitude for their late-season operation).

If POWDR/Woodward hire up more staff to build and maintain the features at both resorts then that's a win! If not, it's still a big boon to Snowbird to be able to re-imagine the Baldy trails, even if only for a month or so.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
it will be interesting to see if Snowbird can rival Utah as the King of the Cottonwoods park terrain.

Attachments

• PXL_20230523_153204790.jpg
    PXL_20230523_153204790.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 11

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
The map makes it look like they put features on all the blue runs under Baldy... is that right? That terrain is a fantastic option for a more timid skier/rider intimidated by most of the rest of Snowbird (and a much better intermediate experience than Emma or Baby Thunder). So it'd be a shame to have it all converted to park during the busy season. But there's plenty of space up there for a nice terrain park and some gentle cruising space, too.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe the terrain parks (regular and pro) beside the Baldy chair operated from Approximately April 1 to may 21, that is 7 weeks! Pro side was built a week or two later. Often that terrain closes in late spring, and this year became one of most popular parts of mountain, so huge win for the public. Not sure how finances worked out for resort? Lot of manpower and machinery involved. Snomagedden in early April messed up access road for 2 weeks reducing visitation to snowbird and alta.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wasatchman has been a great ski buddy for me this winter in Utah. Here are a few actions photos of him from 25 May 2023 at Brighton, UT:

al milly 25 may.jpg

AL view 25 may.jpg

al milly 25 may lower.jpg

al milly 25 may lowest.jpg

This guy loves Big Cottonwood Canyon skiing:
al pose 25 may 2023 brighton.jpg

Attachments

• AL view 25 may.jpg
    AL view 25 may.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
20230527_093502.jpg

Skiing with 2 off-duty PSIA-L3 today at Snowbird, whew.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple more photos from 27 May 2023 at Snowbird, UT:

Heading out Little Cloud Bowl:
rasta area 27 may 2023.jpg

Race training zone near the Rasta Chutes:
race training area 27 may 2023.jpg
racer in training
racer too 27 may.jpg

Attachments

• rasta area 27 may 2023.jpg
    rasta area 27 may 2023.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A few more from 28 May 2023 at Snowbird, UT:

A natural pond for skimming developed below Anderson Hill in Peruvian Gulch today:
pond skim snowbird 28 may.jpg

The youngsters were hitting The Wave in Little Cloud Bowl today. This guy went really BIG with his flip. Entering the lip:
big air lip 28 may the wave.jpg
Gaining altitude:
big mid air 28 may.jpg
Peak invert, he landed nicely and skied away from it:
big air peak 28 may (2).jpg

Attachments

• big air peak 28 may.jpg
    big air peak 28 may.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 3

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
29 May 2023, my last day of skiing this season. Day #64, a personal record. It's also the latest I've ever skied in springtime. Very grateful!

Last view from Snowbird's Mineral Basin.

boarder mineral 29 may.jpg

They were flipping again in Little Cloud Bowl.
flip wave 29 may 2023.jpg

And pond skimming in Peruvian Gulch, crash part one
pond skim snowbird 29 may first.jpg
Crash part two, full immersion! The pond was a little bigger and deeper than it looks from this angle.
pond skim snowbird 29 may second.jpg

Attachments

• top hat 29 may 2023 snowbird.jpg
    top hat 29 may 2023 snowbird.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online