• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I once parked a pos rental car at top of chickadee across from Snowbird security office. The gearshift jammed and car could not move. A security guy & I tried to rock car back & forth to free it. Did not work. I called the rental company to get another car gave them the security office phone number. I then went skiing. (Priorities right)

took all day for another car to arrive on a flat bed truck. I got a call at 4:30 the car arrived. Security blocked the Alta Bypass rd while the car was unloaded!
Cirque rider of PA, the Epic gathering GM (remember him !) helped me move stuff between cars.

I found out 5 years later what happened.
Certain small Pontiac & Chevy models including this one were recalled due to bad ignition switches. Cheesy plastic parts would break and jam the switch.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure if this affects anything but maybe DV and PC?

Yeah, Summit County areas (DV, PC, Woodward, UOP) affected. The workaround is to drive up Emigration Canyon and get on at the East Canyon/Mountain Dell interchange. Either that or go the super long route of Provo Canyon, through Heber, then US 40 to the Park City exit.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought they’d stay open later, too.

Given they operate on a bit of a mosaic of private and public land I'm guessing that they lose access to big connections after April 23.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Given they operate on a bit of a mosaic of private and public land I'm guessing that they lose access to big connections after April 23.
Solitude also operates that way and can stay open late. Not sure why Alta doesn't but I don't think it is because they operate on some public land.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Interesting first day of spring at Snowbasin today. A kind of heavy but fun 6” over a firm base required some attention to detail in the morning, as the season tried to prove its reputation as a battle between summer & winter. At times it was cold, at others it was warm then at around 2pm it decided winter was gonna win this round. Thunder snow & a lightning hold went into effect just as we hit the top of JP. Having seen this show before we decided to take refuge in the JP lodge while it relentlessly snowed as hard as it can snow for the next 2 hours. At 2:30 the hold lifted & it was a new day! The heavy snow from the morning was all but a memory as the rest of the day was high speed surfing. The snow even let up for the last 2 runs but the rest of the time it was nuking as hard as I’ve ever seen it!!!
301C03AB-3E00-4827-ACC9-8CDFB43D2BC7.jpeg
Pretty cool to have the 4pm run be the best of the day !

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Older daughter skiing powder for the first time (skis are 82 under foot and the site is Vail Ridge at Alta. (She says that to be fair I should also post a video of her dead lifting 345 lbs)
View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

Younger daughter on the same pitch
View attachment IMG_2593.MOV

The three of us on the chair
9AE26AB6-1ADA-4EA7-9504-6B2729D3D246.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Solitude also operates that way and can stay open late. Not sure why Alta doesn't but I don't think it is because they operate on some public land.
Solitude's last day of continuous operations is scheduled to be May 7. The resort is tentatively planning to reopen on the following two weekends (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) with reduced terrain, lifts, and operating hours.

Headed up the canyon somewhat late this morning just a very short time after this accident occurred.

Quite the spectacle and I can only guess what happened that resulted in such a bizarre circumstance. The canyon closed for quite a while to allow the big heavy-lift crane truck to set up and extract the large UDOT truck from the canal near the water treatment plant. It sure looks like the truck has a broken frame and is a total loss. I reside nearby and the temperature at my home when I departed was well above freezing, leaving me very doubtful that the road was icy at all, although several miles up the canyon winter was raging.

Another superb day on the slopes with plenty of fresh snow and lots of terrain and gates open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor