• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-23 Cottonwood Canyons Accommodation Recommendations

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, after all those eye rolls from what I thought were new and interesting inquiries about this great sport, I finally got smart and used Google instead of the SkiTalk site's search feature. And still I found nothing much newer than 2018 so I figured it's probably safe...

Could we please start a 2022-23 thread for recommended accommodations close to Utah's Cottonwood Canyons? A friend and I are planning a quick trip in early December and would be grateful for some economical and comfortable choices within sensible rental car driving and/or mass transit distance.

Thanks in advance!

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
What type of lodging are you looking for hotels/AirBNB?

I stayed in a nice basement apartment in Sandy last season for 3 weeks that was a 20 minute drive to Alta/Snowbird and about 25 minutes to Sol/Brighton. Now this was without traffic of course.

Let me know if you want the listing....

TS
Matt Merritt

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Chip : Fees as high as 40 percent of the quoted nightly rental cost and encounters with the occasional OCD owner have pretty much made Airbnb lodging a Plan B for me. Glad to know about a good experience but for now my focus is on hotels. Thanks,

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I was looking for non resort lodging for skiing the Cottonwoods, I’d also consider the Sugar House area. You can get decent lodging all-in for under 100/ night. It’s really not much further and a way better place to be in the evenings and for breakfast.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Matt Merritt , I haven't stayed in most of these, but have seen many Ski Talkers post about them over the years: Crystal Inn Murray, La Quinta Midvale, Extended Stay, Residence Inn, In Town Suites, Homewood Suites. You'd have to do some homework to see if they meet your expectations and budget.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I agree, Staying in the 'sugarhouse' area is very convenient to everything. and there are a couple of hotels at the bottom of the canyon just mentioned above.. or just splurge and stay up in the canyon and hope for 'interlodge'

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW for the Gathering week I’ve booked a dreaded AirBnb in Sandy near the start of a Snow Bus line. I can take the bus, or if going to BCC or PC I can drive. It’s also close to a Trax line, so possible to fly into SLC, take the Trax and walk a block or two. Then take the Snow Bus for LCC. It’s way less expensive that staying up the canyons, and close to restaurants, shopping, etc.

Others have stayed in hotels that on E Fort Union Blvd, the advantage of that area are buses to either LCC or BCC.

Basically, look at UTA transit map to figure out where you might want to stay with minimal walking required. Or drive to a Park and Ride.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
If you go to Vacasa or VRBO, there are houses or apts available at the base of the canyons. I believe there are still some available for $100 or less per person per night depending on how many are in a house. In the past we have stayed both at a hotel in Midvale and also in a house at the base of the canyons. Our hotel of choice has been the LaQuinta, however, in my opinion, it has deteriorated somewhat in the last several years. This year you may want to carpool to the resorts as they may be charging for parking or offering preferred parking for a well loaded car.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have stayed at the Studio 6 in Midvale many times, but the last time two years ago it seems to have gone downhill, and not in a good way.

Sponsor

Staff online