• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022/23 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Admin note: These posts were taken from the 21/22 injury report thread.
Now that we have a new season upon us, lets rally each other and keep those healing vibes coming

Detached retina surgery Wednesday will keep me on the sidelines until January. Two eyes are better than one. No skiing or reading about skiing or watching skiing until the gas bubble they leave in my eye dissolves. Dreaming about skiing is allowed I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Detached retina surgery Wednesday will keep me on the sidelines until January. Two eyes are better than one. No skiing or reading about skiing or watching skiing until the gas bubble they leave in my eye dissolves. Dreaming about skiing is allowed I think.
I hope all goes well with your surgery. Heal quickly, Mark.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm very sorry to hear this. It happens sometimes after cataract surgery. And I was looking forward to finding you for a few runs over the upcoming holidays, after the NE gathering fun last April. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns. Prognosis is generally quite good. I'm an ophthalmologist, although I'm a front of the eye doc (cornea) not back of the eye (retina).

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Enjoyed having 20/20 vision without glasses or contacts for a few weeks following cataract surgery. Lifelong nearsightedness must have thinned my retina. Hoping that modern medicine will be successful in repairing. Plan to work hard post-op at keeping my head in the correct position. Gray cloud is in the bottom of left eye making the retina tear on the top. Recovery position is a little easier with a top tear I am told. Wife rented a recovery chair to sit and support head.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Enjoyed having 20/20 vision without glasses or contacts for a few weeks following cataract surgery. Lifelong nearsightedness must have thinned my retina. Hoping that modern medicine will be successful in repairing. Plan to work hard post-op at keeping my head in the correct position. Gray cloud is in the bottom of left eye making the retina tear on the top. Recovery position is a little easier with a top tear I am told. Wife rented a recovery chair to sit and support head.
Sounds like there is a chance you will be back in commission for the best part of the season. Just keep playing that movie in your head! Good luck.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hopefully we can catch up later in the season. Stay positive, but you generally do!

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, high myopia (nearsightedness) is a risk factor for retinal detachment in general, and in particular with cataract surgery. The bubble is a gas tamponade that prevents fluid from getting back under the break in the retina that led to the detachment. Given that we are generally upright and subject to the Earth's gravity the bubble rises, and so it is going to be more effective against a superior break than any other. There may be other positioning suggestions to keep the bubble apposed to the break. The bubble gradually dissipates over time. I provide this info for the engineer types to ponder. Air travel is a no-no because with reduced cabin pressure the gas bubble EXPANDS causing unbearable high pressure in the eye.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Update on Tuesday December 13. Body well healed with no longer issues from last January's rotator cuff injury. Also polycythemia vera continues to be fully contained now last 6 months. Never caught COVID-19 and no head colds or flu for last 4 years, so this retired senior rather healthy.

Today at Heavenly given 6 feet of cold dry snow from last 2 storms, one 1000 foot vertical non-stop run down small skier packed powder bumps on High Five. Two days now and will ski next two as need more days to build up strong ski muscles brain wants to work at.

AlpineAnnie

Putting on skis
Instructor
I’m out for another season. This will be my 3rd. I got hit while teaching a group lesson by a kid not in my group. Broke my tibia right at the boot cuff and tore my hip labrum. Had to get a new hip last Feb. was doing great with rehab until I dislocated the peroneal tendon in my right foot. This was followed by numbness and neuropathy and then my already fused ankle started to collapse. Just had surgery one week ago to have heal busted and realigned. He also repositioned and secured the peroneal tendon with groove deepening. Additionally, he repaired my big toe alignment and pinned a little toe. We’re supposed to get a dumping over the next few days! Im happy for my skiing friends and family, but this sucks. Picture are kinda gory, but I think my foot looks pretty straight nowSki On! Ski ya next season✌️

Attachments

• 8261E1F0-09AD-4088-824A-428C71B36FBE.png
    8261E1F0-09AD-4088-824A-428C71B36FBE.png
    913 KB · Views: 7
  • 878D491D-4B61-4C75-935E-A0A090117327.png
    878D491D-4B61-4C75-935E-A0A090117327.png
    765.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 5F5F78CE-8CBB-40E8-A5C5-AD6F36EEE75A.jpeg
    5F5F78CE-8CBB-40E8-A5C5-AD6F36EEE75A.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m out for another season. This will be my 3rd. I got hit while teaching a group lesson by a kid not in my group. Broke my tibia right at the boot cuff and tore my hip labrum. Had to get a new hip last Feb. was doing great with rehab until I dislocated the perineal tendon in my right foot.
I think you mean peroneal. Medical inside joke that you just might find funny! Laughter is the best medicine. Your foot looks damn straight, and the toes too!! I wish you good healing and a return to skiing before too long.

peroneal - Wiktionary​

https://en.wiktionary.org › wiki › peroneal​

Do not confuse peroneal ("of the outside of the lower leg") with perineal ("of the skin between the genitals and anus"); the words sound almost alike or ...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m out for another season. This will be my 3rd. I got hit while teaching a group lesson by a kid not in my group. Broke my tibia right at the boot cuff and tore my hip labrum. Had to get a new hip last Feb. was doing great with rehab until I dislocated the perineal tendon in my right foot. This was followed by numbness and neuropathy and then my already fused ankle started to collapse. Just had surgery one week ago to have heal busted and realigned. He also repositioned and secured the perineal tendon with groove deepening. Additionally, he repaired my big toe alignment and pinned a little toe. We’re supposed to get a dumping over the next few days! Im happy for my skiing friends and family, but this sucks. Picture are kinda gory, but I think my foot looks pretty straight nowSki On! Ski ya next season✌️
OMG. That is horrible. We'll be sending healing vibes. Please keep us posted on recovery.

AlpineAnnie

Putting on skis
Instructor
Thanks! . Big difference. I woke up laughing out loud though, so it’s gonna be a Good day. Thanks for letting me know DebbieSue!

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! . Big difference. I woke up laughing out loud though, so it’s gonna be a Good day. Thanks for letting me know DebbieSue!
Sorry for your troubles.
The foot photos flashed up on my computer screen just as I started to eat breakfast this morning.:P

But seriously, thank God for modern medicine! Hope you heal well.

I'm working on a kidney stone issue, but hopefully short term problem. Either I pass it naturally in the next couple of weeks or they go in and get it on Jan 6. Been there and done this before (2010), so I know the deal.

AlpineAnnie

Putting on skis
Instructor
Sorry for your troubles.
The foot photos flashed up on my computer screen just as I started to eat breakfast this morning.:P

But seriously, thank God for modern medicine! Hope you heal well.

I'm working on a kidney stone issue, but hopefully short term problem. Either I pass it naturally in the next couple of weeks or they go in and get it on Jan 6. Been there and done this before (2010), so I know the deal.
Sorry if I spoiled your appetite, Jim. They are kinda gross now that I look at them again. .

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now THAT is a tear-down/rebuild! Hope for quick, relatively pain free, solid recovery!
Was that 3 season in a row??

AlpineAnnie

Putting on skis
Instructor
Now THAT is a tear-down/rebuild! Hope for quick, relatively pain free, solid recovery!
Was that 3 season in a row??
Yes. Tibia was broken and labrum tore on 1/21. Pt all summer for labrum didn’t help so new hip last ski season. Was doing great with training until the tendon decided to pop o er to the front side of my foot, then it went downhill from there!.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. Tibia was broken and labrum tore on 1/21. Pt all summer for labrum didn’t help so new hip last ski season. Was doing great with training until the tendon decided to pop o er to the front side of my foot, then it went downhill from there!.
Heal up well, Annie. May you be back on snow next season.