• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022/23 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
3 months. I haven’t seen myself in awhile. Strangely emotional.

IMG_5379.jpeg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Happy to report that finally after a long 5 months, I am LIMP AND PAIN FREE- well not after I work out, I'm Finally feeling good- the lingering limp was really bad and frustrating, my achilles took the longest to heal. I'm going to start to walk around the house in my ski boots and continue the stretching, exercise and do need more time in the gym with weights- need to go more, seems work keeps getting in the way. Planning my next winter ski trips now :) I hope everyone else continues to heal!! what a long road this has been.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy to report that finally after a long 5 months, I am LIMP AND PAIN FREE- well not after I work out, I'm Finally feeling good- the lingering limp was really bad and frustrating, my achilles took the longest to heal. I'm going to start to walk around the house in my ski boots and continue the stretching, exercise and do need more time in the gym with weights- need to go more, seems work keeps getting in the way. Planning my next winter ski trips now :) I hope everyone else continues to heal!! what a long road this has been.
Your next winter can start now at Mammoth. Just sayin'...

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
That’s great, congratulations! I will also not ski this season even late at A-Basin, even though I am planning on mountain bike racing (just trying to finish) the Gunnison Growler on the 27th. Skiing has too much lateral support motion and it just turns out you really can’t rush these things.

My remaining focus is the glute on the recovering side - my PT said when that’s not at full strength then walking as a motion coordinated between calf and glute will overwork the calf and then you get knee and/or Achilles pain. I’ve been able to do a lot of downwards facing dog and stretching to keep those things at bay, but in the necessary space between dumb and stupid…skiing feels on the stupid side until next season.

I’ll be at 4 months on Monday and this is biking…but that’s difference between motion on a bike and motion on skis and while pedaling is rehab skiing I think not so much. My surgeon said don’t ski again this season but has wanted me on the bike as much as possible although I am starting to violate “but nothing technical” although that was 5 weeks ago.

11 miles keeping up with the young ones at Hartman on Sunday felt really good and that’s where the race is. That’s also 1/3 of the race miles and if there is pain that is more than effort I’ll take the dreaded DNF.

IMG_5612.jpeg

And some local stuff...you know…keeping that good compression on the bone heal.

IMG_0485.jpeg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm on the sidelines for 2023/24 preseason conditioning. Who knows if this will postpone the start of the season.

The doctor calls it "Non-traumatic rhabdomyolysis".

My muscles are inflamed. They easily tire out. When inflamed, they produce an enzyme "creatine kinase" (CK) which they test for in the blood. This enzyme can damage the kidneys or heart. So we don't want that to happen.

I'm supposed to avoid physical activity, so Archer (grandson) is mowing my lawn and I'm sitting in chairs and reading all day. Beth does everything else. It's about time she did something around here. :) I'm drinking lots of water. The doctor just put me on a Prednisone treatment to help reduce inflammation. He's also ordered a batch of other tests to monitor any potential liver or kidney damage (and to try to find specifically what's causing the muscle inflammation , it might be immune system or ???).

My physical therapy has been cancelled (postponed). So..... no model airplane flying, no skiing (no snow yet either), no walking, no nothing. Hopefully I can get this resolved enough to ski some this upcoming season.

If I don't do anything, I'm not in pain. If I walk far or bend over a lot it's painful. I couldn't walk to the lift right now, let alone ski a run.