• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022/23 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing about this fracture is it’s big, and has to be repaired as quickly as possible because it’s a highly vascular region, but with titanium pin and rod hip to knee, it is repaired. I met with the surgeon on Monday and I walked in on crutches partially weight bearing that leg 2 weeks after the fracture.

He reiterated “my only rule is no falls, because you can do real damage” but I have no restriction on weight bearing or mobility otherwise. He also removed 27 surgical staples - I’ve been told my days as a leg model may be over.

At 6 weeks I’ll get x-rays to evaluate degree of bone heal, then again at 3 months where I should be cleared for all normal activity. Full bone heal is 6-12 months, and I’ll be back to all activities before then, so late season A-Basin and start of proper mountain biking season are in play. I think I may be walking unassisted at 4 weeks and also back to driving, at least that is the goal.

The radiography before and after:

View attachment 191222
View attachment 191225
View attachment 191226
View attachment 191227

And to think I was riding my mountain bike on snow and ice a few days prior, to do this in some low angle weird powder.

View attachment 191228

Yeah it's freaky how it can be just a little thing that takes us out. That's why no skiing alone in the woods. Great the hear that you got excellent treatment and your prognosis is good!! Thanks for sharing!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The thing about this fracture is it’s big, and has to be repaired as quickly as possible because it’s a highly vascular region, but with titanium pin and rod hip to knee, it is repaired. I met with the surgeon on Monday and I walked in on crutches partially weight bearing that leg 2 weeks after the fracture.

He reiterated “my only rule is no falls, because you can do real damage” but I have no restriction on weight bearing or mobility otherwise. He also removed 27 surgical staples - I’ve been told my days as a leg model may be over.

At 6 weeks I’ll get x-rays to evaluate degree of bone heal, then again at 3 months where I should be cleared for all normal activity. Full bone heal is 6-12 months, and I’ll be back to all activities before then, so late season A-Basin and start of proper mountain biking season are in play. I think I may be walking unassisted at 4 weeks and also back to driving, at least that is the goal.

View attachment 191222
View attachment 191225
View attachment 191226
View attachment 191227

And to think I was riding my mountain bike on snow and ice a few days prior, to do this in some low angle weird powder.

View attachment 191228
Remember , no dental work until the doc clears you! It’s a vascular superhighway so preventing infection is super important! I’m sure they told you this . :D

Reactions: nay

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 191222
View attachment 191225
View attachment 191226
View attachment 191227

View attachment 191228
OUCH! I’m not an orthopod but even I can read that film!

James

Out There
Instructor
Sorry to hear @nay !
Does that rod go all the way down the femur to the knee area?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Sorry to hear @nay !
Does that rod go all the way down the femur to the knee area?
Yep, I have two arthroscopic incisions above the knee. The two main incisions are high on the hip and at the break area.

The rod is why it’s day one weight bearing - the break is pinned back together and then the pin is supported by the femur length rod.

I started PT yesterday, we worked on flexibility and range of motion. It felt a lot better last night, I was able to sleep for a bit on my good side.

@ADKmel I had a non-displaced tibial plateau fracture when I first started skiing, no ligament or meniscus damage. You’ll come back strong from that - it’s what got my into off season mountain biking and I’ve never looked back and I ride more than I ski (it’s easier to increase frequency).

That’s one thing about these injuries if you have full functional recovery - you have to find things to add that make you stronger and more versatile. I went into this at 52 as fit as I have ever been (mountain biking) and so I have a strong recovery base.

I’m honestly as disappointed about some loss of my high level cardio fitness as anything, but I’ll keep up what I can on my wife’s Peloton. The mountains will still be there when I am back.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is this turning into a show me yours and I’ll show mine thread?
here’s my Holiday Card from 19/20. ( only sent to close friends :roflmao: ) They truly were Happy, without this surgery, things would likely be very bad now.
9B460F73-9337-4919-B68D-4C056D916229.jpeg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Is this turning into a show me yours and I’ll show mine thread?
here’s my Holiday Card from 19/20. ( only sent to close friends :roflmao: ) They truly were Happy, without this surgery, things would likely be very bad now. View attachment 191344
This should totally be a radiology thread. Amazing what they can do. On that note…

The most intriguing thing is that post surgery I seem more ‘aligned’ and others in my family have noticed it as well. Ever since I grew 7” in a year when i was 16, I’ve had some hip misalignment that has always showed up in less consistent turns on my right side than left, sciatica before I got in the pool and gym and got stronger, etc. This break happened where I feel most misaligned.

It’s harder for me to get good angulation on my right side, and standing straight my right foot was always pointed out a bit or my knee pointed in, at least until a decent amount of knee bend. Lying on my back the right foot would loll outwards and it’s not doing that at all.

It’s likely that this less consistent right side is what caused the accident, and that’s been why I’ve never been very comfortable in trees or any tight spaces. I still have swelling so it’s too early to know too much of anything, but I keep looking both standing and laying down and damn I seem aligned side to side.

It would be something to be reassembled expertly in alignment reinforced by titanium and come out the other side improved hip/knee alignment. Surgeon’s motto is “Better Than Before”.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This should totally be a radiology thread. Amazing what they can do. On that note…

The most intriguing thing is that post surgery I seem more ‘aligned’ and others in my family have noticed it as well. Ever since I grew 7” in a year when i was 16, I’ve had some hip misalignment that has always showed up in less consistent turns on my right side than left, sciatica before I got in the pool and gym and got stronger, etc. This break happened where I feel most misaligned.

It’s harder for me to get good angulation on my right side, and standing straight my right foot was always pointed out a bit or my knee pointed in, at least until a decent amount of knee bend. Lying on my back the right foot would loll outwards and it’s not doing that at all.

It’s likely that this less consistent right side is what caused the accident, and that’s been why I’ve never been very comfortable in trees or any tight spaces. I still have swelling so it’s too early to know too much of anything, but I keep looking both standing and laying down and damn I seem aligned side to side.

It would be something to be reassembled expertly in alignment reinforced by titanium and come out the other side improved hip/knee alignment. Surgeon’s motto is “Better Than Before”.
Totally. I am more aligned than I’ve been since-14-15y.o.
Both legs are exactly the same length, ( no extra charge) my shoes aren’t wearing out unevenly. You know what this means? NEW BOOTS! . Would be a shame to let this near perfect alignment go to waste in a pair of less than optimal boots. :roflmao:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Totally. I am more aligned than I’ve been since-14-15y.o.
Both legs are exactly the same length, ( no extra charge) my shoes aren’t wearing out unevenly. You know what this means? NEW BOOTS! . Would be a shame to let this near perfect alignment go to waste in a pair of less than optimal boots. :roflmao:
100%. I bought a second set of Salomon QST Pro boots with the endofit tongue because they were revolutionary for me in not having the right boot tongue shift and lose good contact. I still struggle to get perfect buckling on that side every time I ski, but it was the best I’d found by far.

And of course, that boot was discontinued so I’ve been looking at 3 piece boots to avoid the 4 buckle overlap boot problem.

*If* I end up with with a preferred break spot and proper alignment, I won’t say I would do it again, but I’d sure take the outcome.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@nay sorry to hear about your injury. You are one of Ski Talk's most valuable contributors on all things Colorado skiing. Best wishes for an excellent recovery.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Per pinched sciatic nerve posts:

Lower back is fine now. Skied last two days, mostly moguls all day. Resisted urge of going back to ski with the 10 days working as a successful healing rest. Expect to return to Tahoe a day or two beyond this weekend that is showing a nice refill of fresh snow.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@nay, didn't the wife and kids give you the memo that it's time to ease up on the Go Big or Go Home mentality:duck:

Heal well @nay
I'm looking forward to your spring time reports on late season magical happenings at A-Basin

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Finally got my guy back. He was cleared to ski 8 months post full acl tear and partial meniscus. Dr. made him promose to only ski easy groomed greens and blues. We've skied together 2x now and it's so nice to have my ski buddy back. He didn't understand why he couldn't ski groomed black runs but he gets it now. We'll ski together as long as the groomers last and then once spring bump season starts he'll sideline himself but a few months of skiing is better than none. @Andy Mink How is your wife doing? I think she and Michael had their injuries occur around the same time.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@nay, didn't the wife and kids give you the memo that it's time to ease up on the Go Big or Go Home mentality:duck:

Heal well @nay
I'm looking forward to your spring time reports on late season magical happenings at A-Basin
She rolls her eyes at me all the time. Ski can ski just fine off piste, but finds no appeal in it.

I just did a first test on the Peloton and was able to get up to cadence of 70 rpm with a relatively low 35% resistance for a 20 minute spin.

Not too bad.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep, I have two arthroscopic incisions above the knee. The two main incisions are high on the hip and at the break area.

The rod is why it’s day one weight bearing - the break is pinned back together and then the pin is supported by the femur length rod.

I started PT yesterday, we worked on flexibility and range of motion. It felt a lot better last night, I was able to sleep for a bit on my good side.

@ADKmel I had a non-displaced tibial plateau fracture when I first started skiing, no ligament or meniscus damage. You’ll come back strong from that - it’s what got my into off season mountain biking and I’ve never looked back and I ride more than I ski (it’s easier to increase frequency).

That’s one thing about these injuries if you have full functional recovery - you have to find things to add that make you stronger and more versatile. I went into this at 52 as fit as I have ever been (mountain biking) and so I have a strong recovery base.

I’m honestly as disappointed about some loss of my high level cardio fitness as anything, but I’ll keep up what I can on my wife’s Peloton. The mountains will still be there when I am back.

thanks! I feel like I have a hang nail compared to your injury! I do plan on being stronger than before, I feel lucky mine's not worse, and I'm happy I feel better every day. I hope you continue to heal well!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink How is your wife doing?
She's coming along pretty well. The PT told her she can ski, but same, stay on the groomers. She is having some issues with scar tissue pain which is painful but not related to how the repair is doing. PT says repair should be stable. Now it's a matter of building quad strength and working the scar tissue out. We were hoping to get up for her day 1 this season on Sunday but it looks like more snow and we don't want any more challenges than necessary!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
She's coming along pretty well. The PT told her she can ski, but same, stay on the groomers. She is having some issues with scar tissue pain which is painful but not related to how the repair is doing. PT says repair should be stable. Now it's a matter of building quad strength and working the scar tissue out. We were hoping to get up for her day 1 this season on Sunday but it looks like more snow and we don't want any more challenges than necessary!
this was suggested to me.. wish I knew about it 40yrs ago, may help Ann? https://www.ohioinjurydoctors.com/post/graston-tool

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
thanks! I feel like I have a hang nail compared to your injury! I do plan on being stronger than before, I feel lucky mine's not worse, and I'm happy I feel better every day. I hope you continue to heal well!
It’s a lot less trauma wise if the TPF not displaced/no other damage, although the tibial plateau is highly vascular as well and and you do get a lot of knee involvement. PT probably isn’t all that different in total scope.

I didn’t take my TPF seriously enough and developed a small DVT below the knee. Earned myself 12 self administered heparin shots on the stomach and 3 months of warfarin. That was the worst part.

Here I just took Xeralto for anti-clotting for 2 weeks post surgery and am on low dose aspirin for a month. Much better.

I know this is one the one hand much bigger, on the other hand I’m about 75% weight bearing and should trade in crutches for a cane next week. The dichotomy is a bit difficult to reconcile at times.

Sponsor