• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022/23 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not a doctor but that looks like something is floating around in there! And no space between femur and tibia. No bueno!
On the AP view, there is actually decent space between the tibia and femur. Good idea on the something floating - that floating body is probably what is causing my most current pain.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Back on the Slopes! Ok, really it’s Back at the Base! Have to keep the family stoke going, I hung out and had a beer on the Monarch deck while they skied. It was one of those shi*tshow days where the lifts stop every 9 chairs so I didn’t miss too much.

Tomorrow is my 4 week anniversary. PT is going well and I’m getting closer to full weight bearing through range of motion and unassisted walking.

3C46A419-FB12-4714-8612-0A612FA4F2F7.jpeg

My crutch has a flip down crampon so I’m reasonably secure as long as I stay off ice.

In other more important data points, I’ve thought that my surgeon realigned my problematic right hip since I’m standing and laying flat differently, and that is the side where I broke the femur. ms nay was, as usual, ahead of things and asked for all of my paperwork before I was released from the hospital. She handed me a fat stack of papers the other day, and tucked in the middle was the surgeon’s full blow by blow writeup of the operation. He talks about putting the leg in traction, positioning the good leg and other setup stuff, and then it reads like a car body shop using a reamer to install the 420mm femur nail and then “positioning the patella to vertical with few degrees of outward lean of the foot”, liking how everything was lined up, and then set the entire assembly with 52mm and 46mm screws.

That’s in words what I’ve been seeing and feeling. Just staying focused on the golden rule of ’No Falls’ and getting that strength back. I can pick up my knee to 90 degrees from a straight stand now so should be driving again this week. It both feels excruciating slow because the heal is from dead zero and exceedingly fast because it’s only been 4 weeks.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My crutch has a flip down crampon so I’m reasonably secure as long as I stay off ice.
Stay off the ice! Since you probably won't, get some studded boots. I bought some Salomon X Ultra mid-2 spikes a while back and love them. It doesn't look like they are making them anymore, but there are a bunch on eBay:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Stay off the ice! Since you probably won't, get some studded boots. I bought some Salomon X Ultra mid-2 spikes a while back and love them. It doesn't look like they are making them anymore, but there are a bunch on eBay:

I’m staying off the ice, only soft snow If al all. Those are winter traction Merrell mocs that have special grip in the tread. I went up to the deck through the building ogsmile.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 191979

Not in the sidelines yet, but this knee is talking a lot more loudly to me and is asking about an upgrade.

I'm not a doctor but that looks like something is floating around in there! And no space between femur and tibia. No bueno!
I'm not a radiologist but don't see a loose body on the lateral view. It looks like there's very little joint space and lots of osteophytes. Overall, looks like pretty significant osteoarthritis. What did the official reading say?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not a radiologist but don't see a loose body on the lateral view. It looks like there's very little joint space and lots of osteophytes. Overall, looks like pretty significant osteoarthritis. What did the official reading say?
Radiologist felt that there ”may be“ a loose body at the lateral aspect of the patella. I can feel something in that area that I have not noticed previously. My orthopedist has been quite happy with my activity level despite the arthritis, but feels pretty confident that a TKR is in my future. Considering the recent pain, I am thinking sooner rather than later. Curiously, I am skiing with little discomfort. Walking is another issue…

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Radiologist felt that there ”may be“ a loose body at the lateral aspect of the patella. I can feel something in that area that I have not noticed previously. My orthopedist has been quite happy with my activity level despite the arthritis, but feels pretty confident that a TKR is in my future. Considering the recent pain, I am thinking sooner rather than later. Curiously, I am skiing with little discomfort. Walking is another issue…
You are the only one that can determine the right time to get the TKR done. If/when it significantly affects your quality of life or routine activities it probably pushes to having it done sooner rather than later. Yes the recover is tough and doing the PT is really important to obtaining a good outcome. In general, patient satisfaction post-TKR is very high. I had my knee replaced almost 2 years ago and am extremely happy with the functioning of my new, bionic knee.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
No, before. A few sets of like 25 crunches for core. Walking on the treadmill. Some lung stuff. Everybody I have ever talked to said the same thing thing, 'the better shape you go in, the faster the recovery'.
Will stack this deck anyway I can.
Hey- just wanted to wish you good luck with your procedure! I had similar symptoms to you years ago while running and ended up needing a stent in my LAD for a 95% blockage. After rehab I came back to skiing and have been at it ever since. Keep positive, rehab hard, and you’ll be back.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I’m using my new ‘third foot’ (third leg?) crutch now. The idea is the design is aligned so that the cane foot strike is similar to leg and foot mechanics so you are upright aligned.

After a day of use, 1) I realize that 6 weeks was the realistic ‘ahead of the curve’ target for independent walking and 2) I should probably take Advil more than I am doing.

51217B3B-5E92-414C-A41E-10544183DBF7.jpeg

Being a cyclist prior to a hip fracture is probably a good thing, I’m doing low impact Peloton rides in about the top 20% of rider outputs on their leaderboard and can comfortably spin up to 100 RPM with resistance. All of the PT is important but I’m stronger every time I get off the bike.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just did a first test on the Peloton and was able to get up to cadence of 70 rpm with a relatively low 35% resistance for a 20 minute spin.

Bike has me at 40% of max output, which is probably as good an assessment as I could get right now.

Being a cyclist prior to a hip fracture is probably a good thing, I’m doing low impact Peloton rides in about the top 20% of rider outputs on their leaderboard and can comfortably spin up to 100 RPM with resistance.

Look at this awesome curve of progression over not that much time at all.

Woot Woot!

AlpineAnnie

Putting on skis
Instructor
Watching all the great snow in Eagle/Summit county. Just back to putting 25% on my ankle in a boot. Looking forward to biking and next ski season. Starting some indoor exercise bike work next week.

Hopefully the snow this year is just a precursor to better snow next season!
Keep on truckin’. I started PT a couple of weeks ago. Gotta get on the snow next year

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Look at this awesome curve of progression over not that much time at all.

Woot Woot!
Thanks! You really need as many people around you as possible giving progress spot checks. My wife is doing a great job putting up with me and keeping my head straight. As they say about parenting, the days are long but the years are short. I am at 5 weeks pretty close to the minute right now, which is no time at all.

My oldest son was taking to one of the patrollers the other day who responded as she’s as friend of theirs, and she said they have had 3 or 4 femoral fractures in those trees this year.

I keep going back and looking at the pictures because your brain tries to repress that stuff. It’s not so hard to look at anymore so that’s also probably good progress. :crash:

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Oh. Walking looks painful.
Yep, you definitely stay on a cane for awhile. But…that’s unassisted walking 37 days after separating my entire femur from my hip. Which seems like a miracle. I’m on to strength exercises on stairs with weight on the recovering leg (up down a single stair where you lead up with the recovering leg and down with the good leg, which puts the force on the recovering leg in each direction) and sitting and standing without any hand assistance, good leg slightly out front to take away over reliance on it. Not easy.

It takes a lot to get the muscles firing still, we so take this for granted. After 1 or 2 reps I get a lot stronger and can then do a bunch of reps with more equal weight each time. And then I can kinda walk after because the muscles are firing.

A good friend of mine just suffered a proximal hamstring tear climbing indoors (lame, like my accident). That requires surgery and it happens at the sit bone. So it’s non-weight bearing for 6 weeks, you can’t sit on it, and then 20 weeks to walking.

The relationship of level of trauma to time to heal isn’t as linear as we think, depending on what happened of course.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A good friend of mine just suffered a proximal hamstring tear climbing indoors (lame, like my accident). That requires surgery and it happens at the sit bone. So it’s non-weight bearing for 6 weeks, you can’t sit on it, and then 20 weeks to walking.
OMG!