• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022/23 Injury Report, who is on the sidelines?

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Right if somebody said “tear your hamstring or fracture your hip”…
Based on this sample of two, I’ll take the hip.

I know how irritating non weight bearing was for my ankle, how the hell do you do it for your ass?

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Based on this sample of two, I’ll take the hip.

I know how irritating non weight bearing was for my ankle, how the hell do you do it for your ass?
Yes, if you have a known end good outcome, the hip all the way. It’s vastly more brutal, but you don’t wait a day for starting PT and are immediately weight bearing.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
One thing I didn’t know/think is the extent to which a hip fracture is likely to create knee pain that has to be worked through in rehab. Stairs are not easy with the weight/strength reliance on the injured side (lead with injured going up and good leg going down).

Here I am balancing, awkwardly, on the rehab side. The brain doesn’t like hip balance distraction with a hip injury, it’s unreal how little assistance you need on the good side to convince your brain that you are stable walking. Very magic fingers thing.

This is what I’m doing while the fam is skiing. Six week checkup and bone heal x-rays on Monday.

B1F4A002-4176-4556-ACBC-56C87402C86B.jpeg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whoo Rah---- I was released from ortho today :) Bone is well healed, and looks great ortho says all filled in. Now to strengthen the lateral meniscus and lateral collateral ligament- say that 3x fast, it was severely sprained but not torn, Whew. My front straightening I'm almost 100%, bending to the back I'm at 120% :) I'll keep being careful and still holding hopes to ski more THIS winter. it's ten long weeks this Wednesday.
I hope everyone else is getting good news and healing well!

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@ADKmel great to hear, good luck with the knee strengthening.

I‘m causally hoping to be back on snow, but I don’t know that it is realistic or prudent. Although I did sign up for the Gunnison Growler mountain bike race in Hartman Rocks on May 27th with one of my sons. That’s 32 miles and 4K of elevation gain that comes mostly in little increments. It’s good to have goals.

I had my six week checkup with the surgeon and everything looks good…“the hardware is still in place”. This is the ’no falling‘ rule.

Because this is the TMI thread….the fuzzy white to the upper left of the mouse cursor is new bone growth. There’s a lot to grow. That separated bit up top may stay that way, but it’s not structural and he’s not concerned about it. That larger piece behind the femur head is now free floating. He said it won’t cause any issues long term. So I have lots of metal and free floating bone. I guess if your orthopedic surgeon is all smiles then things are good.

CCFC6006-1726-4451-A902-6B8FB9168A5B.jpeg

I did get a brace for my knee. Probable MCL sprain and it’s been causing me issues in weighted strength work for the hip such as on stairs. The brace is to take some strain off the MCL and has made a difference. He says that if the pain doesn’t resolve completely there could be some meniscus damage. The storyline goes “any impact hard enough to brake that bone can also damage the knee” [purely by referral].

Onwards. My fam is kind enough to send me skiing pictures. Saturday at CB.

2E49A52E-A7D2-4923-B790-CBF7E7F2EBFC.jpeg

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ADKmel great to hear, good luck with the knee strengthening.

I‘m causally hoping to be back on snow, but I don’t know that it is realistic or prudent. Although I did sign up for the Gunnison Growler mountain bike race in Hartman Rocks on May 27th with one of my sons. That’s 32 miles and 4K of elevation gain that comes mostly in little increments. It’s good to have goals.

I had my six week checkup with the surgeon and everything looks good…“the hardware is still in place”. This is the ’no falling‘ rule.

Because this is the TMI thread….the fuzzy white to the upper left of the mouse cursor is new bone growth. There’s a lot to grow. That separated bit up top may stay that way, but it’s not structural and he’s not concerned about it. That larger piece behind the femur head is now free floating. He said it won’t cause any issues long term. So I have lots of metal and free floating bone. I guess if your orthopedic surgeon is all smiles then things are good.

View attachment 194250

I did get a brace for my knee. Probable MCL sprain and it’s been causing me issues in weighted strength work for the hip such as on stairs. The brace is to take some strain off the MCL and has made a difference. He says that if the pain doesn’t resolve completely there could be some meniscus damage. The storyline goes “any impact hard enough to brake that bone can also damage the knee” [purely by referral].

Onwards. My fam is kind enough to send me skiing pictures. Saturday at CB.

View attachment 194251
Sounds like you are doing well too! To speed healing I drank "bone knit" tea (comfrey) ate arnica and ramped up calcium, d, zinc, used magnesium chloride spray and took extra magnesium, my ortho was surprised how well my bone grew, since I'm old (65) keep up the great work
YES to Skiing and biking goals! I was just looking at condos in mammoth for June, LOL

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Not a happy new year for me.. haven't told to many people- but figured I'd fess up to my ski talk pals..
Sadly, I'm joining the broke club. Skiing Gore 12/21- gorgeous day, perfect snow. was skiing down on the Cloud last S turn before going to the flats by Hullabaloo they had a snow gun pointing up hill so couldn't see far ahead. They left a 5ft high x 20+ft wide pile-(trail is very narrow there about 40ft wide) I did slow down and was going to turn to the right but another skier launched and crashed- had a yard sale, he and his skis were going to hit me, tried to go to left- the snow gun and hoses there, so I made a short right turn, ski got stuck in the wet snow- did come off, (look pivots think they saved me from worse injury) I flew about 15ft to the left, landed just past the gun & hoses- 5 more people crashed behind me while I worked on getting up, lucky I didn't get hit. Friend helped me up- limped/skied away from gun spray- saw snow makers just ahead, told them what was happening and asked them to call for help - they refused I assumed they have radios? there is no cell in that area for us to call. Ended up skiing to the bottom on my left leg- patrol at saddle said they were busy! looked like eating lunch!! When I limped to car- saw another patrol asked him for help he walked away!! Drove home- 1hr ride my right knee got HUGE- couldn't walk on it- I couldn't see Dr til the 27th due to the cyclone snow storm roads were closed then was xmas, my dr was closed (needed preapproval for shit insurance) knee was so huge, doubtful xrays would be able to see much. Tuesday 27th went to Urgent care- at first said bad sprain- then radiologist called few hours later, he saw slight tibial plateau fracture but broken, off to ortho 28th- more xrays, c-scan- it's Fractured, very slight depression, thankfully no surgery but no walking,skiing nothing. 6-12wk laying around :-(
I am SOOOO F'ing pissed at gore ski patrol for opening that trail and not helping me (yes I wrote letter- they'll relay to mt ops and ski patrol, doubt they care) I should have known better, I skied the same trail/cloud the day before and it was worse- lots of piles with frozen cat tracks/snowmobile tracks in between huge piles- They had opened top of Stielhang that was barely skiable. They reported cloud had been groomed on 12/21 and w/high peaks lift open and Straightbrook chair open and holiday crowd, IT was the only open trail off the top so I 'assumed" it was groomed. Stupid me. I should know better than to trust Gore ski reports. My friends I was skiing with said LOTS of people crashed there several of them almost went down. Having skied gore for decades, I know they suck at their reports, marking trails etc they are the only mt I know with a grooming disclaimer (just because it says groomed doesn't mean we did) but to have employees NOT help injured people is really egregious to me.
Now very sad cancelling all my passes and trips, taos, steamboat, Zermatt, alta, and many eastern trips that were planned- got 90 days last winter and hoped to beat that. While I do heal well, am older so means longer. So far my swelling is just about gone, bruises almost all gone-minimal pain. I'm not bearing weight on it, go back to ortho 4wks for xray ck up- Think I'm doing pretty good for 10days. I can feel the break, the exterior still warm and if I move knee wrong get a big stab. I know, don't do that- I'm using brace, and my homeopathic healing remedies; bone knit tea, arnica, internally and externally, magnesium chloride spray, frankincense oil, ice, calcium, vit d, c, zinc, minerals and more vitamins. What else anyone know about? I worry my high pain tolerance is a danger in times like this, but I will behave and mentally willing my body to grow bone! Sucks not being able to drive or even walk a little bit- I hate crutches. I'll hope I will be skiing somewhere in April, maybe mammoth in May, june, july again?? Love seeing all the snow they're getting and will think positive and have that as a goal. Hope everyone else stays whole.

Reading the other injuries mine seems minor-
@AlpineAnnie I hope you have good recovery! Holy moly on your repair!
@my07mcx2 glad yours seems less than first told,
@dan ross hope your get out there this season.
@Jim Kenney hope that stone moves along.
@Guy in Shorts hope your retina gets better and I'll hope I can make a spring day at the beast and ski a run w/you.

Everyone TAKE RUNS FOR ME- Post lots of photos so I can live vicariously thru you all.
:geek:Opening the trail I understand (and accept the risk of anything I decide to ski), but not helping you is inexcusable! Beyond the pale.
It seems that if you are not screaming in pain, some people assume you are fine. Everyone has their own level of pain tolerance. Just because you can't do anything when you have a stubbed little toe doesn't mean someone else is uninjured when they aren't screaming in agony. You would think that Gore ski patrol would have better training. :nono:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Sounds like you are doing well too! To speed healing I drank "bone knit" tea (comfrey) ate arnica and ramped up calcium, d, zinc, used magnesium chloride spray and took extra magnesium, my ortho was surprised how well my bone grew, since I'm old (65) keep up the great work
YES to Skiing and biking goals! I was just looking at condos in mammoth for June, LOL
Knitbone tea…or bone knit…that’s interesting! I’ve ramped up calcium and d, I don’t ordinarily supplement much outside of d in winter with a broad spectrum nutrition focused diet. We have an awful lot of sun in Colorado, but most of us don’t get very much of it. All covered up in winter and protecting from burns in spring/summer/fall.

I need to add a zinc supplement, they recommended it and I forgot. Off to Natural Grocers we go.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Knitbone tea…or bone knit…that’s interesting! I’ve ramped up calcium and d, I don’t ordinarily supplement much outside of d in winter with a broad spectrum nutrition focused diet. We have an awful lot of sun in Colorado, but most of us don’t get very much of it. All covered up in winter and protecting from burns in spring/summer/fall.

I need to add a zinc supplement, they recommended it and I forgot. Off to Natural Grocers we go.
Homeopathic solutions have been my key to health for decades. I never tried it before but it if helps me heal even as a placebo I'll try it.
here's a quick blurb on comfrey. I didn't make a compress, I just drank really strong tea- tasted like drinking hay, lol

Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) acts as an anti-inflammatory to promote healing of bruises, sprains, and open wounds when applied topically. The roots and leaves of this plant contain the protein allantoin, which stimulates cell proliferation and promote wound and bone healings.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Homeopathic solutions have been my key to health for decades. I never tried it before but it if helps me heal even as a placebo I'll try it.
here's a quick blurb on comfrey. I didn't make a compress, I just drank really strong tea- tasted like drinking hay, lol

Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) acts as an anti-inflammatory to promote healing of bruises, sprains, and open wounds when applied topically. The roots and leaves of this plant contain the protein allantoin, which stimulates cell proliferation and promote wound and bone healings.
I did a quick search on it and we go back to the ancient Greeks who used it for fracture healing. We do a lot of homeopathic as well. Let thy food be thy medicine. There is no other way.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately it’s time for me to post in this thread.

I took a pretty big impact at Snowbird on 2/7 - full story behind the injury is here - https://www.skitalk.com/threads/how-long-has-it-been.29805/post-834909

I was pretty shaken up and had pain in my left ankle, right knee, right thumb, right shoulder, neck and I bit my tongue pretty badly. My head hit the ground hard enough that my helmet came off because the strap got stripped out of the buckle at impact.

I took a morning off and skied a bit more conservatively for the next couple of days. By the time I got home, the thing that was bothering me the most was my right knee. It felt tolerable though compared to the big knee injury I had 10 years ago where I completely tore my MCL, partially tore my ACL and fractured my tibial plateau. I figured I should get it checked out, but assumed it was a sprain or maybe some meniscus damage, and wasn’t something that needed to be addressed super urgently.

I was busy at work the following week and was leaving for a trip to Revelstoke 4 days after getting back from Snowbird, and my schedule didn’t line up to see my ortho. It wasn’t ideal to head to Revy without getting checked out, but I thought I could at least give it a go and shut it down if it was too painful.

The skiing generally was great, but my skiing was just ok. I skied 175k vertical feet in a week, so it couldn’t have been too bad, but in heavy, soft snow my knee bothered me quite a bit and I had to shut it down for the afternoon a couple of times.

I saw my ortho when I got home last week and he wanted me to get an MRI. I got the results over the weekend and talked to him today.

Tibial plateau fracture and a bone marrow edema. Ugh.

My ortho is a skier who I ski with pretty regularly and he knows how much I love it. He told me I was lucky to get through the Revy week without a further injury, and that he would have shut me down if I had seen him before I went. If I injured it further, I could be looking at surgery with an 18 month recovery and potentially never getting my knee back to where it was before the injury.

It sucks to be shutting it down now just when things are starting to look up here in the north east. All in all though, losing the last month of the season seems like a pretty good trade off against potentially losing all of next season, and I’ve been lucky enough to have a pretty great 40 days this year between UT, BC and VT before shutting it down.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

I took a pretty big impact at Snowbird on 2/7 - full story behind the injury is here - https://www.skitalk.com/threads/how-long-has-it-been.29805/post-834909

I was pretty shaken up and had pain in my left ankle, right knee, right thumb, right shoulder, neck and I bit my tongue pretty badly. My head hit the ground hard enough that my helmet came off because the strap got stripped out of the buckle at impact.

I took a morning off and skied a bit more conservatively for the next couple of days. By the time I got home, the thing that was bothering me the most was my right knee. It felt tolerable though compared to the big knee injury I had 10 years ago where I completely tore my MCL, partially tore my ACL and fractured my tibial plateau. I figured I should get it checked out, but assumed it was a sprain or maybe some meniscus damage, and wasn’t something that needed to be addressed super urgently.

I was busy at work the following week and was leaving for a trip to Revelstoke 4 days after getting back from Snowbird, and my schedule didn’t line up to see my ortho. It wasn’t ideal to head to Revy without getting checked out, but I thought I could at least give it a go and shut it down if it was too painful.

The skiing generally was great, but my skiing was just ok. I skied 175k vertical feet in a week, so it couldn’t have been too bad, but in heavy, soft snow my knee bothered me quite a bit and I had to shut it down for the afternoon a couple of times.

I saw my ortho when I got home last week and he wanted me to get an MRI. I got the results over the weekend and talked to him today.

My ortho is a skier who I ski with pretty regularly and he knows how much I love it. He told me I was lucky to get through the Revy week without a further injury, and that he would have shut me down if I had seen him before I went. If I injured it further, I could be looking at surgery with an 18 month recovery and potentially never getting my knee back to where it was before the injury.

It sucks to be shutting it down now just when things are starting to look up here in the north east. All in all though, losing the last month of the season seems like a pretty good trade off against potentially losing all of next season, and I’ve been lucky enough to have a pretty great 40 days this year between UT, BC and VT before shutting it down.
Wow, that’s an awful lot of skiing on top of a TPF, good luck on the healing!

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier

So Sorry you are injured! Hope you mend and heal well!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The brain midline is a very interesting thing. From PT, I am now working on holding a 10 lb weight in my right hand on the recovering side for walking as opposed to the cane on the left side for stability.

It’s weird, because the weight on the recovering side forces you to align better as you walk - you engage your core to support it.

I can balance on a wobble board in week 7, walking is still hard.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
6 weeks after partially tearing my MCL I went skiing again at Killington. It was great.

-Edging came first. It felt strong.

-Rotary I was reluctant to do. It took me maybe 10-11 runs before I felt comfortable rotating my right knee like that. But I eventually gained enough confidence to do it. No pain. I ended up skiing some long bump runs. Not well, but I was happy to be able to do the movement.

-Ended up with a long day of 32k vertical feet of mostly blue and green cruisers.

-Looking forward to a long offseason to keep strengthening the ligament. Lots of long rides on the gravel bike.

jimidut

Skier since Rope Tow days
Skier
Replaced my left knee last spring and was ok skiing this winter. Felt it when my carve GS turned into chatter but all in all good. Took bad fall when a group of Littles dared me to try one of the rails in trick park I was letting them goof off in. Bad idea was going too slow and just kinda fell off the thing.
Right ankle replacement is this summers gamble. I can ski ok in my boot-casts but walking to the locker room is a joy. Hopefully it kills the pain as Doc says skiing will be no worries cause of the boot-cast theroy.

jimidut

Skier since Rope Tow days
Skier
I was happy to see it wasn't fractured. The talus is vascular, if fractured, even healed, the blood supply can die then talus basically dies and ankle usually must be fused, lots of trouble. Like a fracture around the Femoral head, same thing, person may have screws to hold it together and heal but if blood supply dies so does bone, person ends up getting hip replacement. Think bicycle racer Floyd Landis, only his died from steroid use.
I have AVN avascular necrosis of my tibia at the talus plateau. A broken ankle in 2001 caused it. The ankle feels broken except when it's in ski boots. The good news is that ankle replacement is a thing now and has better success than fusion. Like a new hip only less range of motion in an ankle. I hope it works

Reactions: nay

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have AVN avascular necrosis of my tibia at the talus plateau. A broken ankle in 2001 caused it. The ankle feels broken except when it's in ski boots. The good news is that ankle replacement is a thing now and has better success than fusion. Like a new hip only less range of motion in an ankle. I hope it works
:crossfingers:

not something we hear a whole lot about. Sounds promising. Best of luck and please keep us posted

Sponsor