• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-23 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
Reposted my post in the 2021-22 Mid-Atlantic thread:

"For you Snowshoe folks (like me), not sure if you've seen, but the Shavers Center roof collapsed and the building will be replaced. But not in time for this winter, I am guessing.

Also, I believe they are putting a four-seater on the Powder Monkey lift, replacing the current three-seater. Still going to remain a fixed grip, though. But that should be a nice little upgrade to the current capacity."

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I still have never made it to Snowshoe somehow... anytime I ski multiple days, I'm usually travelling to New England or out west.

I suspect this year may be the same, but I would like to get there sometime!

On a separate note... Any chance of a semi-official mid-A Gathering somewhere this year?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm all in for the $5.00 Early December Anniversary Special at Appalachian, probably Sunday 12/4. Probably another random day here and there Beech/Sugar depending on if the kid wants to ski or not over Christmas Break. Maybe one late season day back at Appalachian. Overnighters ain't happening for me anytime soon. Empty Nest FTW... in 4 years..

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I still have never made it to Snowshoe somehow... anytime I ski multiple days, I'm usually travelling to New England or out west.

I suspect this year may be the same, but I would like to get there sometime!

On a separate note... Any chance of a semi-official mid-A Gathering somewhere this year?

I'm all in for the $5.00 Early December Anniversary Special at Appalachian, probably Sunday 12/4. Probably another random day here and there Beech/Sugar depending on if the kid wants to ski or not over Christmas Break. Maybe one late season day back at Appalachian. Overnighters ain't happening for me anytime soon. Empty Nest FTW... in 4 years..
We had some nice mid-A Gatherings. @Philpug even made it to Blue Knob from Philly years ago. I always hope somebody will pick up the ball and host a Timberline Gathering.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We had some nice mid-A Gatherings. @Philpug even made it to Blue Knob from Philly years ago. I always hope somebody will pick up the ball and host a Timberline Gathering.
Yep @Jim Kenney and (can't remember Aaron's handle here) threw some great family friendly parties over the years too. Hope the tradition continues with the next generation of ski families..

TS
J

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
An expanded Powder Monkey is not a bad thing, but imo what that mountain needs most is consistently open Silver Creek terrain, to suck off some of the Ballhooter crowding.

They are also making some changes designed to alleviate the Ballhooter crowding. I'm not completely clear on it, but they are reconfiguring the Skidder slope and where Grabhammer drops off to make it a better option. For years, I have avoided Ballhooter at all costs on weekends and taken Grabhammer up, then either skied down Skidder to the Skidder lift to get back to the very top, or trudged up there. (Obviously, most times you take Grabhammer to the blue runs immediately off the lift--Spruce, Skip Jack, Gandy Dancer, Stemwinder). Sounds like this is going to make Grabhammer a legitimate alternative to get back to the top of the Basin. They will need to run it more often than just Friday/Saturday/Sunday, though.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For those who haven't gotten their warmies out yet:

View attachment 180477
I took the hoses off the spicket out back. It's officially.. put the hose on before washing the car and take it off after washing the car season... and time to switch to winter washer mix..

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
Snagged an Indy pass and am thinking about a swing through PA sometime this season. Any pointers on when is the best time to go? I'm thinking about hitting Shawnee, Montage, and Blue Knob, plus Elk (which is not on the Indy pass but is reputed to be worth buying a ticket at window price)

I've skied SE PA a bit (Blue Mt, Camelback, Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Bear Creek, Spring Mt) but not for many years. So I have some idea what PA skiing is (and is not). Have not been to the four resorts listed above.

Last edited:

Mister Tea

Skier
Typically mid-Feb is the most likely time to have everything open. And even then it's a bit weather dependent.
Yeah, the weather is always a crap shoot anywhere, even more so down south. Looking at the second week of February.

Any issues with school breaks and the hills being inundated with vacationing families? I've figured out when to never go to Ontario or Quebec (all the schools take their winter break at the same time, so it's like XMas week part II) Assuming PA doesn't have that problem, at least in early February.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the weather is always a crap shoot anywhere, even more so down south. Looking at the second week of February.

Any issues with school breaks and the hills being inundated with vacationing families? I've figured out when to never go to Ontario or Quebec (all the schools take their winter break at the same time, so it's like XMas week part II) Assuming PA doesn't have that problem, at least in early February.
Saturdays can be bad any weekend... if you can do weekdays you'll find empty hills. If you have to ski the weekend, avoid the weekend of Feb. 18th, as the 20th is President's day. It will likely be a lot more crowded that weekend.

Mister Tea

Skier
Saturdays can be bad any weekend... if you can do weekdays you'll find empty hills. If you have to ski the weekend, avoid the weekend of Feb. 18th, as the 20th is President's day. It will likely be a lot more crowded that weekend.

I've promised myself to never again ski XMas week or President's day weekend anywhere in the northeast (or anywhere other than my home hill where I can get out at first chair and leave before it gets stupid). Will probably take Saturday and Sunday off to visit relatives on the PA swing.

School breaks can mess up the plan to ski midweek, hence the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January