• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-23 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did the "chicken" finally come down? I'm guessing they saved him for last LOL

Was a great day, nice meeting up with you folks. After the melt down the week before last, they made a great recovery to finish out the season.

There were quite a few very soggy people in the locker room as I was changing out to leave :roflmao:

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier
I was teaching at App on Saturday 3/11 with my daughter. That was my last teaching day. Big Appal was snow covered but they didn’t open it. Definitely a rebound from March 4th when it was all mud and dirt.
March 4th ironically was really busy with lessons. Glad I got some great turns in with my daughter on 3/11. I skipped out on the final weekend by design.

Attachments

• DF17C12D-D796-42F1-855D-4CDF39955A26.jpeg
    DF17C12D-D796-42F1-855D-4CDF39955A26.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 10
  • FC656BA8-9C4F-4A0A-B035-3FD5682D5612.jpeg
    FC656BA8-9C4F-4A0A-B035-3FD5682D5612.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 10
  • CB1A6F65-6A4C-45DA-B7B1-3DC057E70021.jpeg
    CB1A6F65-6A4C-45DA-B7B1-3DC057E70021.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 3AB81C0A-FF6B-4C79-ACFA-657B061191BF.jpeg
    3AB81C0A-FF6B-4C79-ACFA-657B061191BF.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 17F032FA-E6F3-4553-9430-4519AC218F88.jpeg
    17F032FA-E6F3-4553-9430-4519AC218F88.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2612CA13-BD9C-4018-9EC2-399E6D119026.jpeg
    2612CA13-BD9C-4018-9EC2-399E6D119026.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 11

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I did see Rick(?) there Sunday..I think that's his name..... the guy who's a race coach now adaptive skier due to a stroke. He was too far away for me to get his attention and say hey.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know this is a tad early, but thought I would put it in everyone's brain to let simmer over the summer. Seems the last official mid-Atlantic gethring was 2020, and they had lost steam a bit over the years. Anyone interested in seeing if we can put together something for next year? I'm thinking late January, would be a good warm-up for later season trips that many people take (whether the National gathering or otherwise). And avoid any late-season melt-down.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know this is a tad early, but thought I would put it in everyone's brain to let simmer over the summer. Seems the last official mid-Atlantic gethring was 2020, and they had lost steam a bit over the years. Anyone interested in seeing if we can put together something for next year? I'm thinking late January, would be a good warm-up for later season trips that many people take (whether the National gathering or otherwise). And avoid any late-season melt-down.
I would love this! I am planning on returning to ski Instructing for the coming season but I intend to do it only part time. I've gotten used to being home all winter lol, so I don't intend to be gone all winter. Sooner it gets some planning traction the sooner I can plan around the dates!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would definitely be up for that, provided I'm around - between the Taos and National Gatherings and other western trips, I may not be around, so take my input with that in mind... a few thoughts...

-- In the past, mid-A Gatherings have tended to be in WV or western PA, both for proximity and snow/resort reasons.
-- That said, Timberline and Snowshoe seem like the most likely places to me
-- Late Jan/early Feb is a good time probably... prior ones have been early to mid-Feb, though there were several that were held before I got involved that I'm not familiar with
-- In the past it's been a bit different than other Gatherings, in that usually we've had a big shared ski-house (really helped keep costs down)... not sure if folks would be looking for that this time

I'd suggest starting a thread to discuss.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh i've been really liking snow shoe when it's all open and mid week. But I probably won't do Ikon if I teach for Vail I'll be epic so it won't matter that way. I would have fun getting everyone together again.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm down for that. I like me some tline better but since i have ikon i could suffer the shoe...

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
For past Mid-A gatherings, I was located a bit too far away for anything but Blue Knob. Now that I'm in NC, I was figuring one of the WV areas; T-Line and Snowshoe both come to mind but since they seem to be of very different "styles" (for lack of a better word) which area would depend on the people that would go for the GTG. And I'm assuming most people would need it to be on a weekend.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes I love Snowshoe midweek but it's probably too much of a zoo for a gathering on the weekends, but the terrain and vertical are terrific when it gets all open. Blue knob was really nice also when we went there but yes it's a long drive for us but we'd make it. Showshoe does the advantage of tons of on site ski in ski out accommodations. I really think it's probably a zoo on the weekends though and finding a quieter resort for a weekend trip would be wiser

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm all for midweek, but my guess is that would eliminate about 90% of possible participants.

Whitetail would be another possibility. Although farther distance-wise, its a shorter and easier drive for me, and I'm assuming it would be the case for a lot of others as well. That might also attract some people from the NE PA and NJ areas that might find the W.VA areas too far of a drive

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm all for midweek, but my guess is that would eliminate about 90% of possible participants.

Whitetail would be another possibility. Although farther distance-wise, its a shorter and easier drive for me, and I'm assuming it would be the case for a lot of others as well. That might also attract some people from the NE PA and NJ areas that might find the W.VA areas too far of a drive
Whitetail is a LOT less snow-sure than WV though. This year, for instance, I think they only got a single black run open for a few days, and the four main blues were all open together just for a few days.

Granted, this was a particularly terrible season... but even with a terrible season Timberline and Snowshoe did pretty well. The elevation really matters for cold temps and snow making in a warm season.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Whitetail is a LOT less snow-sure than WV though. This year, for instance, I think they only got a single black run open for a few days, and the four main blues were all open together just for a few days.

Granted, this was a particularly terrible season... but even with a terrible season Timberline and Snowshoe did pretty well. The elevation really matters for cold temps and snow making in a warm season.

This is where I suggest monthly meetups, venue TBD based on conditions. At most you're gonna get what, 4 total :D

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Also interested & can do mid-week too. Both WV destinations work for me. If there are enough mid-week folks, then could even do both (eg, smaller group @ SS, then TM w/ more folks).
I'm also planning to do the west gatherings DB mentioned, so Jan works best for me.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Also interested & can do mid-week too. Both WV destinations work for me. If there are enough mid-week folks, then could even do both (eg, smaller group @ SS, then TM w/ more folks).
I'm also planning to do the west gatherings DB mentioned, so Jan works best for me.

"I don't always ski West Virginia... but when I do, I do both SS and TM."
(Imagined in the accent of The Most Interesting Skier in the MidAtlantic)

I enjoy both hills... heck, also enjoy Canaan when there's coverage. I'm up for extended days beyond a core set.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Odds are if I do go (SS opr TL) it will probably with lodge wife. That means digging deeper and paying for a "good" lodging arrangement, i.e. private bedroom instead of couch surfing. She wants to come hang out, read in front of the fire, and stir the chili while we're out skiing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I freely admit that I hate 80%-90% of the Snowshoe experience. The upside down layout. The ridiculous transfer trail layout. The lifts that drop cables. The crowds at every transfer lift. The congestion at the top ridge. The prices for both lodging and food. The runouts near the lifts that trap slush so there are ALWAYS bad waxers who tucked - and double ejected. The green terrain that is directly under the lodge access paths so there are always bombers on it. The choke points on Cupp run. I'm sure I'm forgetting 10-20 other things.

AFAIAC, the only time SS is worth going to is if they're running guns on open black terrain in the daytime.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I freely admit that I hate 80%-90% of the Snowshoe experience. The upside down layout. The ridiculous transfer trail layout. The lifts that drop cables. The crowds at every transfer lift. The congestion at the top ridge. The prices for both lodging and food. The runouts near the lifts that trap slush so there are ALWAYS bad waxers who tucked - and double ejected. The green terrain that is directly under the lodge access paths so there are always bombers on it. The choke points on Cupp run. I'm sure I'm forgetting 10-20 other things.

AFAIAC, the only time SS is worth going to is if they're running guns on open black terrain in the daytime.
How do you feel about Timberline? And Canaan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online