• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-23 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearly the Wolf-whatever-it will-be next-year :).

It's like every other hill has 1 good run. Tline and Snowshoe might have 3, idk. You might as well pick one hill and play roulette. Or buy plane tickes.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Waiting for a meeting to start. This thread makes me wonder - what is the best run at each SE ski area ? Not necessarily hardest, but might be. This is about all I can remember.

App: idk, pick one. Big Appal? hardcore/thinslice are just so .... little.
Beech: Southern Star, if open always better snow than Lightening.
Sugar: Gunter's way now. I guess. Only seen it one day and was nice but iced.
Catalooche: That 2nd link under the charilift, whatever it's called. Meadows once a decade?
Wolf: ___?
Saphire: ___? Wait, there only is one I think. Never been.

Wintergreen: Outer Limits, once a decade. Lower Cliff ? Highland runs are sort of interchangable.
Massanutten: One of those from the top, maybe Diamond Jim ? Only been there once.
Bryce:__?
Hot Springs: __?

Ober: __? mogul ridge ? never been.

Wisp: the Face ? To be fair, not much else was open the one day I was there. We just lapped that and Squirrel cage.

Tline: Wall or Drop, take your pick. Otherwise Lightening or Thunderdraft/struck. Do glades count?
CV: Gravity, if open. Never seen Dark Side open. Pipeline does not count!
Snowshoe: Cup too obvious, and I like Shays better, and the trees long it. Frontside: Knotbumper.
Winterplace: Woods run like a tiny roller coaster. Turkey not much open and often too icey. That blue bowl is short but kind of unique down here.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
PS for those wondering what @pipestem is on about:

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
PS for those wondering what @pipestem is on about:

yeah, so what do you know about it? @airport, bored, waiting..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Never seen Dark Side open.
I skied it - maybe the first time ever I was there as a low intermediate. Or at least one of the first couple of times I was there.

It was a powder day actually... and trying a black run was a big deal for me. And that was the first day I'd ever been off a groomer. I wouldn't say I "skied" anything off the groomer, but I did slide through some of the ungroomed stuff. Parts of Dark Side were flat and with enough snow that I also shuffled through some ungroomed stuff. :ogbiggrin:

I don't think this is Dark Side, but it's from that day, January 26th, 2003.

DSCN1069_1086.JPG

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always with the negative waves, Moriority :roflmao:

Seriously, none of the ski areas in the SE are going to have much challenging terrain for most of the people on this forum. Weekend crowds are probably a bigger consideration (maybe the biggest?) Then accomodations and restaurants. Seeing as how Ive been to exactly 2 local ski areas, I'm pretty clueless on what the best choice may be if something gets moved forward. But T-Line seems to be a frontrunner, based on comments

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always with the negative waves, Moriority :roflmao:

Seriously, none of the ski areas in the SE are going to have much challenging terrain for most of the people on this forum. Weekend crowds are probably a bigger consideration (maybe the biggest?) Then accomodations and restaurants. Seeing as how Ive been to exactly 2 local ski areas, I'm pretty clueless on what the best choice may be if something gets moved forward. But T-Line seems to be a frontrunner, based on comments
Agree with this- I haven't been to many ski areas either, but Tline is by far my fav. Just a great vib, fun trails and a high speed 6pak. The surrounding area is a little lacking in off mountain things. But there's enough to work for a couple days. Even though I'll have the Ikon again next year I would still vote for Tline over SS.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd never heard of Blackwater... Looks like the old school tubing some of the MN golf courses would run.. Just a rope tow and some tubes on the long hill hole..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
XC ski access. Kinda boring
Fixd it for ME. Only XC I'll do is trotting around the neighborhood on my teles when everything's shut down for a central NC snow event. If I want to have "fun" I'll bomb the little hills on snow blades.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
BTW— anyone else following Whitegrass? Apparently could have had the meetup this week !!!

photo credit: whitegrass
1683083767976.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid