• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-23 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied 3 days this week and of course 3 VERY DIFFERENT Days...

Day 1) Braved the rain, but actually not too bad...soft snow...even made the news WBTV in Charlotte
Day 2) Conditions were better, it's still EARLY
Day 3) Gunther is POUNDING THE SLOPES WITH SNOW

This weekend should be pretty good early season conditions...as of right now 6 slopes and 2 lifts are operating...the cool thing is running into several REGULARS and of course the LIFTIES who know you by name!

Great seeing Dr. Mark out there giving a lesson to a couple of ladies today!
Would you play golf in the rain (lol)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Would you play golf in the rain (lol)
I would if I usually played golf in ski gear.

1668777944400.png

I ski in the rain some just about every season. I won't reserve a ticket if the forecast is looking like solid rain.. But if I drive 3 hours to get there and it starts to rain I'll ski for at least an hour or two in the rain before heading back home.. If I'm staying there I bring an extra jacket and pants for rain gear.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I did, sorry.

All I know about it is what PACCSA have, thus:

Finally, on Saturday, November 19th, PACCSA will be holding its annual Laurel Ridge Trail Clear and Ski Swap. We'll be kicking off the day at 10:00 AM with an all-day Ski Swap in the upper warming hut. If you have ill-fitting ski equipment/clothing that needs a new home, or are hunting for some reasonably priced gear, this is your chance! This Ski Swap is a totally free event for anyone interested. After you check out the Ski Swap, help PACCSA and DCNR get the Laurel Ridge trail system ready for snow! We'll be doing trail work from 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM with a focus on clearing the trails of fallen debris, cleaning out culverts and drains, cutting back invasive saplings, and stacking firewood. Please bring work gloves and hand tools such as loppers, clippers, bow saws, and rakes. Also, dress appropriately for the weather, and since PACCSA work days take place during hunting season, it's always wise to wear bright, visible clothing. Finally, if you're not already registered as a DCNR Conservation Volunteer, please do so online by clicking here.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
^ Interesting. I am not a member of the PACCSA. I didn't know that they organized annual trail clearing. It looks like they will be working on the same trails you and I worked on a decade or so ago during an event organized by the Forbes State Forest. The Forbes group is called Laurel Mountain Volunteers. They came about when the nearby downhill ski area was closed. When Laurel Mountain Ski Area opened, I organized a trail clearing day at the downhill site without paying mind to their scheduled event. A few Forbes Forest volunteers ended up at the ski lodge because the access road to the downhill site is before the XC warming hut on Laurel Summit Road. Before they realized they were with the wrong group, we put them to work clearing Doc's Forest Glade. :ogbiggrin:

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Too bad PA screwed the pooch on the turnpike, saddling the commision with huge debt through 2051. If you think it's expensive now, just wait.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Too bad PA screwed the pooch on the turnpike, saddling the commision with huge debt through 2051. If you think it's expensive now, just wait.

Is that kinda like VA did with the private-public partnership on the toll lanes, so that the state has to guarantee the Aussie company's income if usage isn't high enough?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah I think they were banking on the late Moses David founder of the Christian religious group, The Children of Gxd, prediction that a comet would hit the earth in the mid 1970's and destroy all life in the United States.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
No idea of what the situation is in VA. In PA, they banked on turning I-80 into a toll road. The Feds put the kabosh on that, so the bulk of road maintenance costs are saddled on the tunrpike users.

And this started in 2007, so the comet would have come 30 years too soon LOL

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm not seeing the Appalachian Ski Mountain Anniversary Special advertised on their website. Every year for the past 50 they've had $5 lift tickets first Saturday and Sunday in December.. I guess all good things must come to an end.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
On the other hand, I'll really enjoy the results of all the road widening construction: having three lanes in each direction plus wide shoulders all the way from Plymouth Meeting to Allentown on the Northeast Extension. That will make my commute to Blue Mountain a little more enjoyable. Even though it costs $10-15 roundtrip now.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No idea of what the situation is in VA. In PA, they banked on turning I-80 into a toll road. The Feds put the kabosh on that, so the bulk of road maintenance costs are saddled on the tunrpike users.

And this started in 2007, so the comet would have come 30 years too soon LOL
well ok then can we go with Pat Robinson's 1990 book The New Millennium suggested date for the earths destruction to occure on April 29 2007?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not seeing the Appalachian Ski Mountain Anniversary Special advertised on their website. Every year for the past 50 they've had $5 lift tickets first Saturday and Sunday in December.. I guess all good things must come to an end.
It's on there now...$10, advance reservations only

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
On the other hand, I'll really enjoy the results of all the road widening construction: having three lanes in each direction plus wide shoulders all the way from Plymouth Meeting to Allentown on the Northeast Extension. That will make my commute to Blue Mountain a little more enjoyable. Even though it costs $10-15 roundtrip now.
Might even be done in 5 or 6 years. :roflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor