• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Augment All Mountain 88 Carving

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
**Without editing the whole review, the All Mountain 88 Ti, for 2022 is now called the All Mountain 88 Carving **

Philpug: With the new name for 2022, All Mountain 88 Carving. I can only presume the "carvong" means high speed mach schnell carving bucause that is that the AM88 is capable of. Of the premium 88mm skis, the AM88 is the most traditional in shape with its rounded tip and almost full camber flex. Turn radius in our reference 179 is also one of the only skis in the category that is over 20 m ... and it feels every bit of that. The AM88 has some seriously long legs and can run. The only limitation I have found with any Augment I have skied is the skier -- that's not because you will out-ski them, they just have one of the highest entry requirements as far as input.

Is the AM88 for everyone? Will it hold your hand as you get your ski legs under you? No. The AM88 is a thoroughbred, and extremely rewarding when you are on your A-game and paying attention.

Insider tip: Like other Augments, err on the side of a higher flex number; ie, a 10 flex, which they refer to as “flimsy,” is about as stiff as say a Brahma or Kendo, hardly flimsy.​
Tricia: I first got on the AM 88 at Solitude, and even though its flex is rated at a 7 (soft), there was nothing wimpy about it. The 88mm width is the sweet spot of the women's all-mountain category, and while this is not a women's-specific ski, the flex is meant for a small or medium-sized person and thus is right for a lot of female skiers.

Without having a chance to check the tune, Phil mounted these up and we hit Solitude with some other Pugskiers. Much to my delight, the tune was the type of perfection you'd expect from Augment. The ski is strong enough to slice through crud, nimble enough to inspire a few jaunts in the moguls, and proper enough to respond when asked to make tracks on the groomers -- all of this with one of the smoothest feelings you can imagine. There are many skis in this category that ski pretty darn well, but few with this pedigree.

Insider tip: Check out the different flex options to suit your needs perfectly.​
Andy Mink: From my audio notes: "Fantastic. So, so smooth and you can go faster than you probably should." The AM88 makes long, luxurious (should that word even be in a ski review?), flowing turns on hard and soft groomers. It is supple and engaging in bumps with a bit of rise in the tip. It is easy to slide the tail when you need or want a shorter-than-advertised turn radius. Without any fresh snow (or any that even resembled what might have once been fresh), the 88 just ate up everything thrown its way with a quiet, silky confidence.

As with other Augment offerings, the AM88 is offered in a variety of flexes from 10 (soft but not really) to 1 (2x4? Ironman?). I skied the 10 and honestly couldn't see going below an 8 or 7 unless you're just a beast skier. This ski needs to be piloted by someone who has enough skill to appreciate what it offers and can fully understand what the premium price brings to the table.

Insider tip: For the pure carving junky, try the AM77. Every. Bit. As. Good. But narrower.​
Wade Holiday: FEEL. This word is such a key to differences in skis, and this ski has an exceptional feel! Just plain wow. No bells and whistles and marketing angles, just a very high quality blend of materials, craftsmanship, and solid understanding of how a ski works to create this thing of beauty. It had the best feel of any ski I’ve been on in a while. It will do anything asked of it: too much fun in the hard bumps, most calm of all at speeds beyond what I usually ski, and absolutely no surprises. The shape is pretty traditional, and with the 21m radius, minimal rise, and a standard tail, you have to bend it into shapes and ski it more traditionally.

Insider tip: The length felt true; compared to my reference skis, I liked the binding one click forward​
Scotsskier: This is the best 88mm ski i have been on bar none ! I can ski it hard like a GS ski but it also charges through crud, crap, soft, what have you, without issue and doesn't have the nervous/ floppy tip feel that I found with almost every other similar ski in this sector. Personally I had no concerns the 21m radius, didn't find it constraining or limiting (but I probably spend more time than most on a 30m ski). Doc and I discussed and we had different views on the comparison with the Monster 88. For me the Monster was way too one-dimensional and had no benefit (but downsides) over a GS ski. Why I sold mine!. To be fair I was on the 184 rather than the 177. We also have differing views on the Evolv 90. (I am also probably 35# lighter and 5 inches shorter than Doc)

Over the past couple of years i have bought/tested/sold a bunch of 85-100 waist skis looking for the elusive perfect work ski for Squaw where I may be coaching in gates or free-skiing with athletes. Been severely disappointed with a lot of supposedly acclaimed skis. The AM88 however for me provides as near to perfect as I have found for my purpose and stands head and shoulders (or tip to tail!) above the comparators. I would also be happy with it as a OSQ if I was traveling to ski.

Awards
Who is it for?
Connoisseurs of fine products, traditionalists, people who like skis that always listen and don’t have their own agenda. This is an 88mm ski for racers, ex and current.
Who is it not for?
Those who want to be seen on a premium ski. Your money is better spent elsewhere. Those looking for newest marketing trends or trying to save a buck.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
163, 171, 179, 187
Dimensions
126.5-88-112
Radius
21m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

scb

Booting up
Skier
I might need these. Was originally thinking i'd pick up a Stockli Laser AR, but these look like they were made for me.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Proud to carry this brand in my shop! 77,88,98,108's in stock not to mention race skis. Have been skiing the 77's mostly but haven't skied a model yet that wasn't impressive.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
As I previously mentioned, for me the AM88 took no time to get used to--it was utterly intuitive to ski and required no warm-up. The 179cm AM88 in many ways is similar to my Head 177cm Monster 88's, but even more powerful--about as "race like" as any 80-90mm All Mountain ski I have ever been on. This is the stiffest "soft flex" ski I have ever seen! No other 80-90mm ski I've ever been on has been as powerful and capable on groomers as the AM88--not the AR, V82, Evolv, Deacon, Brahma, Kendo, Enforcer, or Mindbender (although I have not been on the Maverick 88Ti, M-Pro 90, SR88, or Stance 90 yet). As with every Augment I have now tried, the AM88 had a beautiful tune. As we whipped down the hill, arcing turns, the AM88 proved to be utterly unflappable--the faster it was skied and the more edge angle applied, the better it felt; no tip flap, no tail slip, no speed limit at sane levels of skiing irrespective of snow surface.

The AM88 offered amazing edge grip ripping down a race prepped, salted course after the gates were pulled--edge grip was superior to many groomer oriented carving skis and equaling that of many non-FIS "race" skis. The AM88 crushes crud, chop, crust, mank, and all the detritus at the edge of trails and in trees. I did not have the opportunity to ski it in deep snow or big moguls (like those on KT22 West Face), but did run it in some smaller/shallower conditions. Compared to the Monster 88, the AM88 has an even higher speed limit, better edge grip, but smaller sweet spot, and definitely feels less comfortable in bumps and perhaps may have some limitations in deeper soft snow. It also was not as fun to ski at slower speed compared to the 177cm Monster 88, nor was turn initiation quite as easy. You have to know how to tip a ski and bend it to fully enjoy the AM88, particularly if you want to vary it's stated 21m turn radius; but if you can do that, you will be rewarded with a stunning ski experience. This ski left a huge grin on my face!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No other 80-90mm ski I've ever been on has been as powerful and capable on groomers as the AM88--not the AR, V82, Evolv, Deacon, Brahma, Kendo, Enforcer, or Mindbender (although I have not been on the Maverick 88Ti, M-Pro 90, SR88, or Stance 90 yet).
And none will. The Augment AM88C really is in a class of it's own. Irregardless of price, It is not a mass market ski. This is a ski for a discerning skier who is looking for exactly what the AM88 offers, a traditional full cambered 21m 88mm ski. The closest ski to this maybe was the earliest of the 2014ish Monster 88s (even more so than the original Kaslte MX88) and that has as much to do with the tradition tip shape and the way the ski entered the turn. The MX88's construction might have been closer to the Augment but that Head shape was more similar.

With the addition of the new AM88 with the shape from the AM98, I am glad Augment kept this ski in the line. While it will no way be a volume leader, it has a place in the collection. I would say the same, even more so for the AM77, that should stay as the AM77C..and yes, I will be making that pitch to Augment.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any discussion of Monster 88 vs AM88 has to account for the differences in sizing. The 184 head monster was a good size for me. I could have also skied the 177. The best size for me in the am88 had to be the 179 since the 188 is more than I would ever want on any open public ski run.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Any discussion of Monster 88 vs AM88 has to account for the differences in sizing. The 184 head monster was a good size for me. I could have also skied the 177. The best size for me in the am88 had to be the 179 since the 188 is more than I would ever want on any open public ski run.
I agree, don't be afraid to go a bit shorter. The stability is there and you gain a bit of agility.

scb

Booting up
Skier
With the addition of the new AM88 with the shape from the AM98, I am glad Augment kept this ski in the line. While it will no way be a volume leader, it has a place in the collection. I would say the same, even more so for the AM77, that should stay as the AM77C..and yes, I will be making that pitch to Augment.

Wait, there's another AM 88?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wait, there's another AM 88?
Yes, with the shape of the AM98. As soon as we get one in our test fleet, we will have a review up.

Last edited by a moderator:

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
With the addition of the new AM88 with the shape from the AM98, I am glad Augment kept this ski in the line.
Do you know this for a fact? That they keep the 'old' AM88 in the line-up? I have looked at their refreshed website and I am under the impression that the new AM88 is the 98-shaped one while the 'old' AM88, now referred to as AM 88C(arving) is only available in the outlet. So, I was thinking the few old AM88 yet to sell are going to be sold under the 'C'-name to make a distinction between the 2 versions. I see no AM 88C in the new line-up.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you know this for a fact? That they keep the 'old' AM88 in the line-up? I have looked at their refreshed website and I am under the impression that the new AM88 is the 98-shaped one while the 'old' AM88, now referred to as AM 88C(arving) is only available in the outlet. So, I was thinking the few old AM88 yet to sell are going to be sold under the 'C'-name to make a distinction between the 2 versions. I see no AM 88C in the new line-up.
As far as my last conversations with @Augment Skis? Yes. Could that have changed? Maybe. ;)

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
As far as my last conversations with @Augment Skis? Yes. Could that have changed? Maybe. ;)
@XSki, @Philpug is correct. The AM77 was put out to pasture as it was primarily a carving ski and is being replaced by the new AM78. The AM88 of last year, similar to the AM77, is so good at carving that it has been renamed but is still very much available. It is the AM88C or AM88 Carving. The new AM78 and AM88 use the same design philosophy as the AM98 and AM108 that have proven to be so popular.

Just ask Phil about what's in his personal quiver. ;)

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad to see Augment bringing the AM98/108 shapes down to narrower widths. It would be cool if they also export the AM88C shape and construction to a 98 and 108. Definitely fewer customers, but some of us like an angrier ski in a wider platform -- I think the AM88 'C' actually stands for cranky.

@Augment Skis, okay to order from https://augmentskisna.com/ now or should I wait for the site to update to 2022?

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
Glad to see Augment bringing the AM98/108 shapes down to narrower widths. It would be cool if they also export the AM88C shape and construction to a 98 and 108. Definitely fewer customers, but some of us like an angrier ski in a wider platform -- I think the AM88 'C' actually stands for cranky.

@Augment Skis, okay to order from https://augmentskisna.com/ now or should I wait for the site to update to 2022?
One of the aspects of the current 98 and 108 that we like so much is that they're very capable on groomers unlike so many wider skis. If you haven't skied them that way yet, we strongly suggest it, and we think that you will see that there's no need for a 98C or 108C.

Yes, you are welcome to order from there or hopefully support one of our retailers first. @bud heishman is on here and has stock in some of those models already. Sturtevants in Sun Valley will get some inventory this week.

We just got the best end of week gift one could hope for yesterday from a retailer who sent in an order for 43 more pairs of our skis.

Which ski are you interested in?

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Another thing that caught my attention. On the (manufacturers) website is no mention anymore of different flexes to choose from. Am I right to assume that there is only 1 flex offered? The NA-website still mentions flex options. Just curieus.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another thing that caught my attention. On the (manufacturers) website is no mention anymore of different flexes to choose from. Am I right to assume that there is only 1 flex offered? The NA-website still mentions flex options. Just curieus.
Flexes will be Soft/Medium/Stiff.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
As mentioned before: soft being Brahma-like. Which ski would you relate to in order to describe 'medium'?

Sponsor