• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Augment All Mountain 88 Carving

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Imagine actually measuring flex modulus instead of talking about it.
I do it in my shop with about $100 worth of stuff.
Ski tests used to include numerical information but now it's all touchie feelie....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Imagine actually measuring flex modulus instead of talking about it.
I do it in my shop with about $100 worth of stuff.
Ski tests used to include numerical information but now it's all touchie feelie....
When that was happening, all the skis were basically shapes the same so it was a lot more consistent in the comparisions. It is just no the case any more with all of the rocker profiles and varying contact points. While it might be able to be measure flexes, there will not an way to compare them with any constancies. Even how sidecuts are measured, contact point? Running surface? Widest point to widest point? Thats before we get into elliptical or 3D sidecuts. Don't even get me started on boot flexes.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
When that was happening, all the skis were basically shapes the same so it was a lot more consistent in the comparisions. It is just no the case any more with all of the rocker profiles and varying contact points. While it might be able to be measure flexes, there will not an way to compare them with any constancies. Even how sidecuts are measured, contact point? Running surface? Widest point to widest point? Thats before we get into elliptical or 3D sidecuts. Don't even get me started on boot flexes.
Ski manufacturers measure flex. when developing skis and batching them for race applications.
I measure it with the skis supported 10cm from tip and tail in the 175 length.
It ain't close to perfect but it still tells more than hand flexing.
"Test, don't guess" Click and Clack

The boot flex situation is just stupid.
"It feels like a 120 to me."
This one should be easier than skis but it just doesn't happen.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had the opportunity to demo this ski the other day, and while it sometimes felt very stable and smooth, I found it to sometimes feel oddly hooky, like it wanted to rotate sharply to the inside. Is this likely to have just been a strange tune/some sort of demo ski phenomenon? I sort of enjoyed the ski but by the end of my couple of demo runs, just didn't feel confident with it.

I demoed the AM88 in a 163 back-to-back with my own Augment PC/SC (?) 70 in a 148, which is why I thought it was odd that I noticed the AM88 being more twitchy, as I would have expected the opposite.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this likely to have just been a strange tune/some sort of demo ski phenomenon?
Sounds like a tune issue especially since you are familiar with other Augments. With the lower radius that the 88C has, I never felt hookiness was one of the skis characteristics.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So basically people like me who had already decided that we're not Augment skiers, based on the carving skis, now have to reset and try one of the AM-based models.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Augment Skis
I would love to see rocker/camber profile pics like blister does on the new AM series-78/88/98.
Pretty please?

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I have been incredibly impressed with freeeride Augments (AM98 and 108). I feel that with Kastles moving downmarket and experimenting with lighter constructions, Augment is positioned to take the customer that appreciated and was willing to pay for the “Kastle feel”. If you want a ski that would be 100% reliable in any kinds of junk snow, still shine on groomers and magically won’t require a lot of effort for either, Augment is your ski. The only thing it does not tolerate is bad technique. But if you are a confident adventurous skier, this is your brand. 88 is too narrow for my taste and where I like to go, but I’d be happy to ski AM98 everyday or any day at Squaw. It’s almost as capable as my MX99, more versatile and still easier to ski. After I wear through my daily driver Kastles I will likely get an Augment. It’s that good.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
We are trying something new this year with the Augment brand only. Rather than coming into shop and paying to demo theses skis, interested purchasers can call ahead and make appointments to meet me at bottom of chair at 8:30 am to test the model(s) you are interested in buying at no charge. You get to take a few runs under my watchful eye on runs I know have good coverage then I take them back to shop with me. Can’t afford to let them go out all day unsupervised and come back trashed. .

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
So basically people like me who had already decided that we're not Augment skiers, based on the carving skis, now have to reset and try one of the AM-based models.
Tony,

We would alway suggest that you try any ski from any brand when given the opportunity. We've heard vastly different reviews on the same ski. One saying carving only and the other saying good anywhere on the mountain. It's best to make your own decisions and have some fun while doing it.

The closest shop we have to you right now is in Mass with SkiMD but we're working on a new Rep/Sales Manager position out of New England which would be great for us and should accelerate our growth in that market nicely. We'll also be around New England this Winter with demos and while they're going to be primarily focused on retailers giving us a try, we will always welcome consumers when we can to also ski them.

Part of that ambitious demo plan is have a van do demo tours. We're working on plan B at the moment as our demo van build slot over time slid from September to the end of February now so we'll figure out what that means for our plans.

Last but not least, I think the AM 78 and 88 will be huge in New England. A ski that can carve at speed and is stable when pushed but can ski the crud and powder.

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
I had the opportunity to demo this ski the other day, and while it sometimes felt very stable and smooth, I found it to sometimes feel oddly hooky, like it wanted to rotate sharply to the inside. Is this likely to have just been a strange tune/some sort of demo ski phenomenon? I sort of enjoyed the ski but by the end of my couple of demo runs, just didn't feel confident with it.

I demoed the AM88 in a 163 back-to-back with my own Augment PC/SC (?) 70 in a 148, which is why I thought it was odd that I noticed the AM88 being more twitchy, as I would have expected the opposite.
Aquila,

I would agree with @Philpug, likely it's a tune issue. First thing that comes to mind of course is that they didn't detune the tips. We've encountered this once or twice before and now we strongly suggest to detune the ski a little. We've conducted all of our demos with brand new skis, fresh out of the box, without any additional prep other than what the factory sent. That has been a very positive experience for us so far as the retailers get to feel what quality product it is that they're buying, and we haven't had a complaint yet about the tips being a little hooky. We've only had that complaint from a consumer or two so it made us realize that we need to at least detune the skis a little as everybody would appreciate that extra step.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This AM88C sounds like it was cut from the same cloth as the old Stockli Stormrider VXL. Looks like the dimensions are almost identical (and at the exact same "odd" length of 179cm) as well as the construction. Looking forward to getting a test ride, but if they're anything like those VXLs you would have to bring your "A" game.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This AM88C sounds like it was cut from the same cloth as the old Stöckli Stormrider VXL. Looks like the dimensions are almost identical (and at the exact same "odd" length of 179cm) as well as the construction. Looking forward to getting a test ride, but if they're anything like those VXLs you would have to bring your "A" game.
Different animal. Tha AM88C has much bigger chops than any of the Stormrider 88s

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Aquila,

I would agree with @Philpug, likely it's a tune issue. First thing that comes to mind of course is that they didn't detune the tips. We've encountered this once or twice before and now we strongly suggest to detune the ski a little. We've conducted all of our demos with brand new skis, fresh out of the box, without any additional prep other than what the factory sent. That has been a very positive experience for us so far as the retailers get to feel what quality product it is that they're buying, and we haven't had a complaint yet about the tips being a little hooky. We've only had that complaint from a consumer or two so it made us realize that we need to at least detune the skis a little as everybody would appreciate that extra step.

This! Every single Augment I have skied or owned (and that is a double digit #!) has had an awesome tune right out of the box. Best factory prep I have ever come across.

As a real world example, when my current race skis arrived they basically got a coat of wax, 3 runs to test them, were rewaxed and then helped me achieve 3 FIS International Masters podiums the following weekend.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Different animal. Tha AM88C has much bigger chops than any of the Stormrider 88s

The VXL was nothing like the later SR 88 skis. The VXL was a race construction GS layup in a wide body design. It's a bad a$$ ski... It will take you for a ride if you don't stay on top of it and maintain proper fore/aft.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I will echo ScotsSkiers comments--I have tried four different Augments, have gone on to purchase three pairs of Augments so far with more likely to come. The Augments definitely have the best factory tune I have ever experienced, eclipsing other high end skis like Blossom, Kastle, and Stockli that I have also tried and/or owned.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will echo ScotsSkiers comments--I have tried four different Augments, have gone on to purchase three pairs of Augments so far with more likely to come. The Augments definitely have the best factory tune I have ever experienced, eclipsing other high end skis like Blossom, Kastle, and Stöckli that I have also tried and/or owned.
May be one of the reasons why Hirscher is using them to build his skis…

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I first got on a pair of AM88C's this past Spring, skiing with ScotsSkier at Squaw, and had my mind blown away as previously posted--so much so, that I bought a pair. The AM88C continued to impress me this past weekend at the resort now known as Olympic Valley. I've played on a number of 88-90mm skis; none is as powerful and capable carving on-piste as the AM88C--not the AR, V82, Evolv 90 Deacon, Brahma, Kendo, Enforcer 88, Mindbender 90, Maverick 88Ti, M-Pro 90, SR88, or Stance 90. The AM88C was fine in a few inches of fresh snow and is fantastic at punching through crust and chop. While not as much fun as a few others of this ilk in larger bumps (ex. Evolv90, Monster88, Stance90), as long as I stay aggressively in the fall line, it is not a death ride in moguls.

AM88C.JPG

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The AM88C continued to impress me this past weekend at the resort now known as Olympic Valley. I've played on a number of 88-90mm skis; none is as powerful and capable carving on-piste as the AM88C
Didn't you guys just get like thirty-seven feet of snow or something? What are you doing carving on piste? Oh, the humanity!

Sponsor