• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Augment All Mountain 88 Carving

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I skied the AM88 two days after a big storm expecting to find soft groomers. However, the mountain was mostly un-groomed and I encountered soft, heavy, chopped up snow.

This Augment ski has a small sweet spot that will quickly remind you to stay forward and on top of it. It didn’t feel at home in loose, skied out, 3D snow. The struggle was real, but honestly, I expected it. The ski is only 88 underfoot, fully cambered, and has a stiff construction. This made for a challenging opposition in soft bumps where I have a tendency to ride a ski centered.

The AM88 excelled on soft groomers and in compacted bumps. The AM88 can drift around corners and hooks up smoothly to accelerate out of a turn. Being quick underfoot, super stable and precise, these were a dream in flowing bump lines that formed late in the day. On groomers the AM88 was compliant when entering a carve, felt smooth mid-turn, and had an energetic exit. For a skilled driver, quick short turns or longer GS-style carves are a real treat.

The Augment AM88 could be a great everyday ski for someone looking for race-like precision and performance, in a more versatile package.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:
Wow, wow, wow! I took the Augment AM 88 out at Palisades Tahoe for a full day of chasing some of our test team around, covering everything from warm up groomers to multiple laps in some chutes. The AM 88 excelled in the wind buffed chalky bumps, breathing life into my legs and encouraging me to take another run. I’m continually impressed at how well this ski handles firm conditions as well as soft filled in buff. There are a few skis that make me want to ski longer days. The AM 88 is one of them.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
anyone have a review of the non-carve version yet?

Long term update:
Wow, wow, wow! I took the Augment AM 88 out at Palisades Tahoe for a full day of chasing some of our test team around, covering everything from warm up groomers to multiple laps in some chutes. The AM 88 excelled in the wind buffed chalky bumps, breathing life into my legs and encouraging me to take another run. I’m continually impressed at how well this ski handles firm conditions as well as soft filled in buff.
Guess not.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
anyone have a review of the non-carve version yet?
Not yet. I'm anticpating some time in the next week or two.

scb

Booting up
Skier
i may pull the trigger on the new version without trying them just based on the 98 reviews alone (if I can find them). would look awesome with the Look Pivot in Raw, though part of me says Forza color on grey skis would be kind of cool

scb

Booting up
Skier
screw it. no waiting for new one. pulled the trigger on the AM88 carve. 179. soft/med flex. now to decide between raw and forza pivot 15

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't think we will see the "other" 88 unil next year.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Van Deer carrying forward the AM98 and 108, but not the AM88C?

2SkiQuiver_GD

Booting up
Skier
I had 3 hours on the Augment 88 179 last week. My current frontside is Liberty v82. I have not been on such a weighty ski for a while, I am 6’ 158 lbs. All I can say is wow! Before I even got on the chair I noticed the 3 degree bevel keep them flat when not turning! I spent the first runs doing mid size turns getting a feel for balance. We had a damp icy groom so if you were not railing the sound was obvious. I soon tidied that up and as l became comfortable and started putting much more weight into the down hill ski I I felt the energy out of the camber and forgot about the weight of the skis. Not sluggish edge to edge at all! Moving to GS turns I was soon skiing flat out and railing like the snow was a magnet. Short turns on icy steeps were a breeze and I ripped in 3” of crusty snow with confidence. Finally a couple of laps in fairly tight glades put a smile on my face. I have found my new 88 mm ski!

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
FYI, Snowind Sports still has a few Augments in stock, 77,88,98,108's

Sponsor