• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Augment All Mountain 98 Ti

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
While I like a traditional feel, I far preferred the187 AM98 to the 184 SR95's--the Augments felt stronger, quicker, better in a carved turn, and offered more energy and rebound. I liked the AM98 so much I bought a pair and sold my SR95's....
Which year Stockli SR95 were you on? What flex AM98 did you go with?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: I took the AM98 for a spin at Palisades. Conditions ranged from fairly firm, especially in the shade, to beautiful spring cream cheese in Sun Bowl. Just skiing down from the Goldcoast Lodge to Big Blue one can feel the dampness that we've seen across the Augment board. For a wider ski, they ski well in bumps and are quicker than I would have expected. A bump hound looking for a wider ride would enjoy the heck out of these. Where I found them to be absolutely brilliant was in the soft spring conditions on Sun Bowl. Automatic. Soooo smooth. While I did entertain my compatriots with a rather exciting tumble down a shadowy chute, I can hardly blame the skis. They were very confidence inspiring on the same run one run before and I felt better than I should have. For someone looking for a incredibly smooth, multifaceted ski the Augement AM98 should definitely be in your sights.
tempImageisoKZ8.png

scb

Booting up
Skier
So I was going to get the new shape am88, but they seem to be out of stock. So my option is the old shape 88 carve, or the 98. Primarily east coast, though my wife’s sister lives in Denver so we do go out there occasionally. Favorite ski ever is the stormrider 95 (2013/14). Is the 98 too much for the east coast? Should I find the new 88? Get the older 88carve?

love to bomb down at high speed, large turns. Love bumps, love trees.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So I was going to get the new shape am88, but they seem to be out of stock. So my option is the old shape 88 carve, or the 98. Primarily east coast, though my wife’s sister lives in Denver so we do go out there occasionally. Favorite ski ever is the stormrider 95 (2013/14). Is the 98 too much for the east coast? Should I find the new 88? Get the older 88carve?

love to bomb down at high speed, large turns. Love bumps, love trees.

Are you searching for one ski quiver or do you have others in your arsenal?

scb

Booting up
Skier
Are you searching for one ski quiver or do you have others in your arsenal?
Right now all I have is the older pair of sr95. Looking for 1 to replace. Don’t get out much anymore, but when I do I make it count

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Right now all I have is the older pair of sr95. Looking for 1 to replace. Don’t get out much anymore, but when I do I make it count

IMO, the 98 has a leg up on the carver 88 in overall versatility. I think I could enjoy it in every condition that the east coast throws at me, while maximizing fun on the best days (i.e. soft, new snow). The 88 carver maximizes fun in well established bumps and groomers (and boy is it a hoot). In the east, with tight trees, I ski at slower speeds than I do when out west in widely spaced trees and open fields. More float is needed to keep you above the snow at those slower speeds…this is the 88s Achilles…float.

Does the New 88 blend these two skis together perfectly? I hope so, but I haven’t been on it, so can’t be sure.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dang, 98 has more versatility for east coast than 88? Gotta give it a try!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Dang, 98 has more versatility for east coast than 88? Gotta give it a try!
In addition to the TR Phil mentioned, it’s also about the camber profile for me. The 88 being fully cambered, and the 98 having tip & tail rocker.

One seems to be designed as a wide carving ski with a side of all-mountain capability. The other is an all-mountain ski, with a side carving capability.

I generally lean towards the latter type of ski (others may lean towards the former as their ski of choice). Ideally I would want both in my quiver :D.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
AA44C5A1-077F-4068-AD02-9D7756000166.JPG
Long term update:
For the last few days in Colorado when we were done testing skis, I got back on a comfortable pair of jeans, the Augment AM98Ti. At A-Basin the AM98Ti was just money of the couple of day old cut up dry snow. Nothing bothers this ski. The video above is in the cut up just under the Lenawee chair, and below being layed over on a groomer, there are few things this ski cannot do ... it is a ski that lives up to it's stratospheric price tag.

Giotto

Di Bondone
Skier
Does anybody have pictures of the rocker profile of the AM98? I couldn't find any, not even on their official site.

Did any AM98 owners ski the Head Monster 98? I assume the progressive shape makes turn initiation much quicker. Also, the default "soft" AM98 should be quite a bit softer than the Monter 98, right?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anybody have pictures of the rocker profile of the AM98? I couldn't find any, not even on their official site.

Did any AM98 owners ski the Head Monster 98? I assume the progressive shape makes turn initiation much quicker. Also, the default "soft" AM98 should be quite a bit softer than the Monter 98, right?
A very different animal than the Monster 98, much more playful but some of the same power. It can charge like the Monster but the initiation is indeed much quicker.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
I am also interested in any pictures of the AM98 rocker profile. I am curious how it compares to the Enforcer 100 rocker profile. It sounds like those two skis share more similarities than differences in how they perform. And that would be a good thing for my needs.

scb

Booting up
Skier
IMO, the 98 has a leg up on the carver 88 in overall versatility. I think I could enjoy it in every condition that the east coast throws at me, while maximizing fun on the best days (i.e. soft, new snow). The 88 carver maximizes fun in well established bumps and groomers (and boy is it a hoot). In the east, with tight trees, I ski at slower speeds than I do when out west in widely spaced trees and open fields. More float is needed to keep you above the snow at those slower speeds…this is the 88s Achilles…float.

Does the New 88 blend these two skis together perfectly? I hope so, but I haven’t been on it, so can’t be sure.

I actually ordered the am88c in 179 from the augment site, but they eventually cancelled my order because they couldn’t find any.

so I then said screw it and bought a pair of 187 am98s from Bud. Thanks, bud!

took them out today (look pivot 15) in less than ideal Vermont conditions a day after 55 degrees and rain. It was very cold today and very icy/hard pack with a mixture of newly blown fake snow. Great conditions to test out a ski!

my thoughts from the morning were that my older stormrider 95 (183) is more stable at high speed and wants to go faster. I thought the stocklis like going straight where the am98 wanted to turn more.

But after skiing the afternoon on them, too, I will say these are pretty stable at high speed, too. They did whatever I wanted them to, in ice, hard pack, bumps, fake snow, etc. They actually surprised me at how maneuverable they were in straight up east coast moguls. They are a worthy successor/complement to my stormrider 95. I’m a fan, even in these conditions. Can’t wait to take them out west.
Oh, also, Tthey don’t feel like 187s. I actually feel like if they made a longer length, I’d like to try it (I’m 6’0”, 170lbs if anyone’s curious)

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also interested in any pictures of the AM98 rocker profile. I am curious how it compares to the Enforcer 100 rocker profile. It sounds like those two skis share more similarities than differences in how they perform. And that would be a good thing for my needs.
They share a lot of properties…The biggest difference I felt is the AM98 floats so much better than the Enforcer 100 in fresh snow.

XSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Some pics of the rockerprofile. Compared to Enforcer 104/179. Not shure if the tip is the same as Enforcer 100. Enforcer has more tip splay but AM98 has deeper rockerlines. Tail of the 104 is obvious far more rockered but as far as I can remember the Enforcer 100 tail is about the same as AM98.

Attachments

• 20220223_125742.jpg
    20220223_125742.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220223_125803.jpg
    20220223_125803.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220223_125818.jpg
    20220223_125818.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 55

Sponsor