• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Augment AM108

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
12/12/22 Mod note: With no change to the 2023 model, this thread was updated in title.

Philpug: I am late to the party in getting on the AM108, but I can say it was very well worth the wait. I was almost hesitant bordering on afraid to get on a 108mm ski in a massive 187cm length, but what the hay, my insurance deductible is covered and with only a few days left in the year, what could go wrong?

Just as when I originally got on the AM98, all of my concerns were completely dismissed because these AM skis from Augment are so incredibly confidence-inspiring, is it is almost unfair to the mountain. We had just received 2’ of I guess what some would consider “Sierra Cement”, heavy snow that can really show the shortcomings of lesser skis. But these are conditions that the Augment barely winces at. I do agree with Alex’s comments below that the tip might just have too much flair, and there might be too short of a side cut, but that’s like saying a Porsche 911 GT3 RS might just have too much turn-in as it makes record laps running around the Nürburgring. I will deal with it.

Augment is truly producing some of the best skis on the market. I can say that without offending other brands, because they below the price point at which Augments are offered. Truth in point: When Marcel Hersher decided to offer his own brand of skis, he could have gone to anyone. He went to Augment.

Alexzn: The Augment AM108 is a ski that the original Blizzard Cochise always wanted to be, but never could. More stable, more predictable, and somehow easier to turn and a lot more fun. Cochise feels like a truck, Augment feels like a BMW X5: all the utility and still plain fun to drive.

The defining features of the ski are its wide and generously tapered shovels and equally generously upturned flat tails. The shovel shape is tricky as it gives all the benefits of the rocker, and yet does not exhibit the hesitant turn initiation that is a common affliction of tapered rockered skis. This Augment turns in with an almost slalom ski-like eagerness. Coupled with a damp ride and a decent rebound, it is a joy on a groomer. Off piste the sensation is the same; a ski that likes to turn but can easily sustain fast rides over choppy snow (that’s where the rubber inside the ski makes its mark). I also think that 19 m turn radius is a bit too small in an 187 cm off-piste ski with tons of stability. The shovel is almost too large in a sense that sometimes it is easy to overturn the ski and if you are not careful off-piste it can feel a tiny bit hooky in some situations. This ski would definitely benefit from a straighter sidecut up front: The tip is so big that someone who drives the skis fairly close will even occasionally bang the tips (ask me how I know).
  • Insider Tip: Don’t cheap out on the binding and don’t fear the length.
  • One thing we would change: A little less shape and a longer sidecut.

Awards
Who is it for?
With a 4 digit price point, the well-heeled, but you don’t have to be the best skier on the mountain, just the one with the deepest pockets.
Who is it not for?
Straightliners. The Am108 is the turniest of the chargers. Oh, and the frugal.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
171, 179, 187
Dimensions
148-109-130
Radius
19M@187cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some photos from my day on the AM108
AE56E740-EFE6-4560-ABDB-F26BC63D8942.JPG
A73C640C-5D1C-436A-BB13-2CF80B946060.JPG
F9AA054B-2CCF-4052-8ACB-9EF1F6EEC06F.JPG
A5E893DE-590E-4EC4-AF9F-9CBDB8A6D244.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: It is great when you take a ski out in the conditions that are 100% in its wheelhouse and that was the case today at Mt. Rose with the AM108. I never thought a 108 in this length could feel as nimble and playful as this ski, a guess that's what a ski with this price tag affords you. If the AM108 was a vehicle, it would be the MB Maybach GLS 600.

17F82049-E9CD-45A8-AC03-936EB8E862E8_1_201_a.jpeg

Comfortable in the air and solid on re-entry.

What also adds to the AM108's versatility is how well it handled the snow covered deep groomers back to the lifts. On these groomers, I never felt that I was on a 108, the AM108 just easily got up on edge and carved beautiful railroad tracks.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally got on the Augment 108s today that I won in the SkiTalk contest at the beginning of the season. There’s been a lack of fresh snow anywhere I’ve chosen to ski this season. Probably because I selected wide skis in the contest? My original plan was to bring them to Jackson last week but a forecast of no new snow changed my mind. If only I knew that we’d actually get 1 inch that week. Anyways this weekends plan was for my son and I to ski Sugarbush and they received 18ish inches of snow…yesterday. That was going to have to be good enough. I needed to ski the Augments. Having never skied a ski this wide, I figured I should take a warmup on an impeccably soft groomer. Well, that was an easier adjustment than I expected. The first thing I noticed was how smooth the Augments were. Just amazingly easy to ski. So then we started skiing the chopped up powder, powder bumps, bumps with ice and rocks in between them, openish trees and tight trees. I skied a bit tentative at times in areas where yesterday’s new snow was scraped off showing geologic features, not wanting to “injure” them, on their initial outing. And my tight tree skiing is a bit lacking. But I was quite happy this was the day I chose to bring them out. I’d say I was most surprised how quick they were in the bumps and trees. Can’t wait to get more days like this!

Thanks again @Philpug @Tricia @Augment Skis

They look much better here than leaning against my wall at home (sorry, too cold today for more interesting pictures)

4661B0F3-12FA-4F68-84EB-FFA7F035E989.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know you like the 187 in the 108, how about the 179 in both skis? Do they ski short?
While I haven't skied the 108 in the 179, I have skied the 98 in the 179 and really like it. If you wan this ski for the east, I imagine it will be OK,

MACCA0405

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi, I don’t know a lot about Augment. I dont think they are producing the 108;AM anymore but i have located a pair fir 700 euros. I am looking for a daily ski for Chamonix Valleu mounted with Shifts. It would be used 70% inbounds/ side country and 30% back country.Spend as much time off piste as can but still love to carve groomers. I have a dedicated touring and deep snow set up. Advanced/Expert but over 60. Ski 100 days approx per year. If anyone can help my alternatives are

Black Crows Corvus
Clack Crows Corvus Freebird
Blizzard Cochise
volkl Katana 108
Head Kore 105
Nordica Enforcer 104.
DPS Wailer 106 foundation

any input appreciated

MACCA0405

Skier
Hi, I don’t know a lot about Augment. I dont think they are producing the 108;AM anymore but i have located a pair fir 700 euros. I am looking for a daily ski for Chamonix Valleu mounted with Shifts. It would be used 70% inbounds/ side country and 30% back country.Spend as much time off piste as can but still love to carve groomers. I have a dedicated touring and deep snow set up. Advanced/Expert but over 60. Ski 100 days approx per year. If anyone can help my alternatives are

Black Crows Corvus
Clack Crows Corvus Freebird
Blizzard Cochise
volkl Katana 108
Head Kore 105
Nordica Enforcer 104.
DPS Wailer 106 foundation

any input appreciated

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The AM108 is an incredible ski, but it is pretty darn heavy and not sure the best as a back/side country ski ... but so are some of the other skis you have listed. If you like a ski in this width range that has a relatively shorter radius (sub 20 meter) is would be a great option especially if you can get a deal on them.

MACCA0405

Skier
The AM108 is an incredible ski, but it is pretty darn heavy and not sure the best as a back/side country ski ... but so are some of the other skis you have listed. If you like a ski in this width range that has a relatively shorter radius (sub 20 meter) is would be a great option especially if you can get a deal on them.
Have you skied the tour version which I can get a deal on.? Seems very light at 1600g. I have a Fischer Ranger 102 set up with ATK Raiders as a back country ski. This ski would be used lift served 70% of the time with max of an hour or two skinning. Just a bit concerned about the width of the tips and no ability to see it in the flesh. Looks like it now forms part of Marcel Hirschers new brand.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@MACCA0405
you might want to add the elan RS 106 or kastle ZX 108 to your search with the 50/50 resort to side / BC your looking for. Working both of those here, slight nod to the new Kastle offering, YMMV
You could pick up both at the price of the Augments.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You can probably get a demo of White Dot Altum (twin rocker) and Ronde (more trad tip rocker) in Chamonix just to muddy the waters further. Plus maybe consider the relevant Dynastar given the supply of demos there unless you have some deeper objection.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have you skied the tour version which I can get a deal on.? Seems very light at 1600g. I have a Fischer Ranger 102 set up with ATK Raiders as a back country ski. This ski would be used lift served 70% of the time with max of an hour or two skinning. Just a bit concerned about the width of the tips and no ability to see it in the flesh. Looks like it now forms part of Marcel Hirschers new brand.
Sorry, I have not skied the tour version but knowong every other product that has come from this factory I cannot imagine that it is anything but stellar. Yes, Augment is now under the Van Deer/Redbull umbrella. Whether the Augment name lives on remains to be seen.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
VideoCapture_20221212-144511.jpeg

Long term update: With about 4 feet of new hitting Tahoe and specifically Mt. Rose of the weekend and tester @Stephen in town, @Andy Mink and I brought along the AM108 to rotate between us throughout the day. It wasn't my turn to ski the 108 until after lunch and that usually the time of day with this much snow to have dead legs but like with it's svelter brother the AM98 when I first skied it and it it brought me back to when I first skied it....
I had a list of skis to get though at Winter Park and I didn’t get on the AM98 until near the end of the day when my legs were on "E," the light was flat, and the conditions were cut up: the trifecta of “What could possibly go wrong” after a full day of skiing. Why so negative? I should been thinking, "What could go right?" And what went right was everything. The AM98 rejuvenated my energy, gave me a solid connection to the snow, which made the flat light a nonissue, and ...what crud?
These big Augments are leg reguvinaters, its like they have mystical powers, you think you are worn out and wallah ... you feel great again.

The AM108Ti for its size 108 mm underfoot and 187 cm in length is amazingly nimble, like Willie Gault doing ballet. A ski this big has no business being this nimble but some way or another it is. While Augment is taking a hiatus from the US market for 2023, there are some on the on the racks at various stores.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: Ullr provided for the Tahoe region in a big way with over four feet falling at Mt. Rose. After they were closed Sunday, they popped the lifts on Monday to a big crowd. We were in no hurry for first tracks and caught the tracked out leftovers.

It's interesting how different skiers fit with different skis. While Phil felt the 108s to be nimble, I felt they were chargy, wanting to drive through the chop and building moguls instead of bouncing through. They don't feel particularly heavy, just strong and athletic. Different skill sets (or in my case, lack thereof), different results. What that says about the ski is it will work well with different skiers. Do you like to drive the ski and beat the mountain into submission? No problem. Do you like to dance with the snow and have the skills to do so? Check. On the groomers the big Augment is sooo smooth and connected. Take your time going from edge to edge and enjoy the ride!

gabiz

Skier
I am looking to add a wider ski for those days when there is a lot of snow.
I primarily ski in Oregon and Western Canada, advanced, 180 lbs, 5'7", man, 50s. I am probably more of a finesse, controlled skiing, not looking for speed, mostly on runs today.
Currently I ski Laser AR 161 cm, 2021. They are fantastic, most of the days, except, when I can not see them deep in the powder.
I like the smoothness and very good edge of the Laser AR, and I am looking for something wider with somehow similar behavior on runs, while opening up more terrain for me.
There is still some limited inventory of AMs 108 and Stormriders 102. Which one should I pick? Anything else I should consider?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is still some limited inventory of AMs 108 and Stormriders 102. Which one should I pick? Anything else I should consider?
Since you started in this review, the AM108 mush be your first choice and with, I say "You struck oil, so stop drilling." For your size, the AM108 in the 179 would be ideal, IMHO there is nothing like the ski. Yes it will be tough to find under the Augment logo but try Miller Sports in Aspen, they have the ski under the Miller name.

Sponsor