• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Blizzard Bonafide 97

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: I have owned every generation of Bonafide since it was introduced; each had its own, slightly different personality, but the Bonafide 97 last season is a complete departure. Only two things carry over from previous Bonafides: the name, and ... well, that's one thing. Construction, length, scaled widths, all of that is new. This ski is the most "all new" that you can call a ski while keeping its name.

With Flipcore, Blizzard took a marketing approach to a new core design, but with the new Bonafide, the construction is much more size-specific, with different wood stringers set up for different lengths in order to scale the flex. It is a great concept if you get it right, but if you are wrong, it can go waaay wrong. This is one of the few skis I skied in multiple sizes. A 180 Bonafide was always dead-on for me, so would I want the 177 or the 183? Since I had the opportunity, I skied both. I tried the 183; well, I should have tried the 177 first. The 183 felt like a truck, big and cumbersome. I don’t think even my old 25-lb-heavier self would have liked it. The 177 felt better, but still not like my old Bonafide. It is so new, they probably should have renamed it. It is a different ski; the apple has fallen far from the tree.

With all of that said, all-new is not all-bad. As you can see, the Bonafide 97 still gets a Tester's Choice because it is still a really good ski. The 97 is much more of a charger and has a higher point of entry than the older models. That is fine, you just need to know what to expect.
  • Insider tip: If you were between sizes on the old model, you will be happy. If you hit the old sizes right, you won’t be.

Awards
Who is it for?
Chargers. This Bonafide is bull-worthy.
Who is it not for?
Those who loved the outgoing model might want to stock up.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 171, 177, 183, 189
Dimensions
136.5-97-118.5
Radius
17m@177cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BDA4D94B-0BA7-4EF4-8E79-AC59C33B79D2.JPG
517777B3-93E1-44E8-8051-8582D2EC625A.JPG
tempImagey3u4Vj.png Long term update: You might have read where I didn't really have an intent to ski the Bonafide on this day, it was meant to be a day on the Rossignol Experience 86Ti but this is why we tend not to leave SkiTalk HQ with just one pair of skis, conditions can change or not be what expected and plans can change and it was the latter that happened in this case. Well, by bringing the Bonafide, proved that my spidey sense was right in choosing a back up ski. Conditions on the Slide side of Mt. Rose was Christmas storm leftovers, as many know sometimes the leftovers are as good as the meal itself especially in this case when I had the right cutlery to eat the meal. Sure I could have enjoyed the conditions on a One-Oh-Something or even most 95mm but the Bonafide stepped up and helped me enjoy those leftovers, wouldn't be surprised if they left the mountain a few MM wider with how much leftovers they ate up.
Oh, and the throwback Thermo graphics are so choice. ;)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This Bonefide is my favorite by far. Go figure.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Should plan a demo. Like the bones but was between sizes with the 188 and 180.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Demoed the Bonafide 97 recently and of all the skis I tried (Mantra, Maverick, Enforcer, Ripstick, etc.) it was easily the best of the mid-90s bunch though I could see how it is not for everyone. It is heavy and damp but when you get it up to speed, say 40-50, it comes to life especially at high edge angles. I’m 195 lbs, 5’11” and put a premium on stability at high speeds. It is not the quickest edge to edge but from an edge hold and stability standpoint it is much stronger IMO than the others. I’ll jump on my WC GS or SL skis when I want edge to edge quickness.

I’ve searched for years for something that could come close to my old pairs of Dynastar race room Legend Pros and the Bonafide is the closest I’ve found.

Note that I did have a hard time choosing between the Bonafide and the Stance 96, the only other ski that really stood out to me on a long day of ski testing in very challenging conditions.

Hopefully they arrive next week, have a pair of STH2 16s ready to mount up.

gfabbri

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Demoed the Bonafide 97 recently and of all the skis I tried (Mantra, Maverick, Enforcer, Ripstick, etc.) it was easily the best of the mid-90s bunch though I could see how it is not for everyone. It is heavy and damp but when you get it up to speed, say 40-50, it comes to life especially at high edge angles. I’m 195 lbs, 5’11” and put a premium on stability at high speeds. It is not the quickest edge to edge but from an edge hold and stability standpoint it is much stronger IMO than the others. I’ll jump on my WC GS or SL skis when I want edge to edge quickness.

I’ve searched for years for something that could come close to my old pairs of Dynastar race room Legend Pros and the Bonafide is the closest I’ve found.

Note that I did have a hard time choosing between the Bonafide and the Stance 96, the only other ski that really stood out to me on a long day of ski testing in very challenging conditions.

Hopefully they arrive next week, have a pair of STH2 16s ready to mount up.
Super write-up - what length did you go with?

Currently stuck between the 183 & 189, at 6'3" and 195 and perfectly content topping out in the high 30s to low 40 mph range. On 187 Brahmas (v1) right now, and that length works. But concerned about the extra beef in the Bonafide in terms of maneuverability in technical and tighter terrain.

Last edited:

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I went with the 189 which is what I tested. I like heavier, longer skis but I primarily ski at an area where all the good stuff is above tree line. For example, my ski for a big day there would be the Dynastar Pro Rider Factory 192 (M Pro 105) that I think Blister may have said that was the heaviest ski they've tested. Really depends upon what your skiing....if you went with the 183 my guess is that it will still be super stable for you and no doubt if your in tight trees or moguls you may want the shorter length. As I mentioned, I had a hard choice between the Bonafide and Stance 96...the longest length of the Stance 96 that the reps brought to the demo was a 182, but it was quite stable. If you haven't already, I'd check out Ski Essentials video reviews on Youtube.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode my Bonafides today, a Baker Powder day with 28" in the preceding 12 hours and another 15" during the day. Flake clumps coming down the size of apples. Extensive avalanche hazard kept the lifts closed until 11, but after that the mad rush was on. Surprisingly lifts 6 and 1 came online shortly after the bell and I was able to get one untracked line down Canuck's before 6 saturated and I had to retreat to 5 and Gabl's. Baker gets a lot of snow, but it's also a small area and gets tracked out quickly. The first 20 minutes I was wishing for something with a little more float, but after that the Bonafide came into its own and kept getting better on every subsequent run. A great ski for cutting through thunderous chunder. The thing is like a monster truck that can somehow still corner hard hitting every apex.

Side note: On the way home, a tree came down a few cars in front of me closing off the Baker highway. I think I may put the chainsaw in the car, just in case. Heaven forbid it happens on the way up. Do folks on I-70 have to contend with this?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Such a fun ski, its what I feel the M6 should have been.

I've had 12 snow days this season, 1 has not been a pow day or snowing day. this thing carves TRENCHES (literally) had snow flying off as boot hit snow today

I took phils tip and bought the not new model and I do love them. (meaning I have 2021? 2022)

2024-01-02 18.12.03.jpg

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@anders_nor , I'm assuming the 189? I thought the 183 was so much fun. Frankly, I don't understand the stiff, burly hyperbole around the Bonafide and Brahma. I think they are great skis that a lot of people could benefit from.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@anders_nor , I'm assuming the 189? I thought the 183 was so much fun. Frankly, I don't understand the stiff, burly hyperbole around the Bonafide and Brahma. I think they are great skis that a lot of people could benefit from.
yeah always longest length, the disadvantage to beeing tall'ish.

kinda weird hyperbole indeed. Them puppies were BENDING, Im also loving the camber of the bonefide and brahmas over most my volkls for mixed days where I feel I want some more camber/ice grip. on catchy snow thats deep its ofcourse not ideal, but tailshape makes it quite ok.
bonefide 97 2021? 2022 is basicly a playfull M102, thats easier to ski. I feel you give up a bit of stiffness/flatten everything ness, but sometimes I wanna play.

my gf is 173? 174? shes been stealing my buddies brahma 88's every chanse she can, and BENDING them to surprisingly short radius, he has the 183.

the 189 bonefide 97 is fun 20-25kmh before the M102 191 is fun.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I love the Bonafide but I think stiff and burly is not hyperbole. They are stiff and burly! How many skis are stiffer and burlier than a Bonafide in a 95-100 width? They are a lot of fun but they are heavy and demanding.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I love the Bonafide but I think stiff and burly is not hyperbole. They are stiff and burly! How many skis are stiffer and burlier than a Bonafide in a 95-100 width? They are a lot of fun but they are heavy and demanding.

Here's a starting point for the skis discussed. You can add in plenty of other yourself, by using this link to the data comparison.

1704236208049.png

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
interesting indeed.

in reallife on snow they had me singing out loud to myself as I was jumping piles of shit proably skiiing way to fast yesterday.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
As nice as my old Bonafides were, I recently switched to the Stance 90 & 96 w/STH2 16's as my current all mountain skis, as they were a touch more versatile for fun afternoon skiing after a morning of Masters gate training.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
All you’d have to do to the current Bonafides(and Brahma 88) is do the same thing they did to the rocker profiles of the Black Pearls. Keep the sidecut/effective edge similar but extend the rocker tip/tail a bit with more splay and low rise rocker. Would be easier and more versatile off piste when flat but no loss of grip when tipped over.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As nice as my old Bonafides were, I recently switched to the Stance 90 & 96 w/STH2 16's as my current all mountain skis, as they were a touch more versatile for fun afternoon skiing after a morning of Masters gate training.
for offpiste / treeeskiing or piste?

Sponsor