• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Blizzard Rustler 11

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: I could see the pride in Blizzard’s product manager when he talks about the effort and time put into this new collection of skis; when we talked about the older Peacemaker, he had trouble making eye contact and was willing to talk about any other ski. He now takes as much pride in talking about the Rustler 10 and 11 as he does the freeride skis like the Bonafide and Brahma. The difference in this new collection is that the whole ski works and works well in every condition and terrain that you would expect it to. Keeping with the cowboy theme: not to beat a dead horse, but Jed, a Rustler 9 for 18-19 would be a great addition.

Insider tip: Get to the shop early, these will be sold out by Christmas.​

Andy Mink: This is a big, strong ski and it requests a pilot who has the chops to drive it. I don’t think I was able to get it up to speed in enough snow to appreciate its width and capabilities. It definitely floats in powder but needs more pitch and speed to turn easily. I probably would have been more comfortable on the next length, or even two, down. It is a big mountain powder ski and makes no excuses for it. On the groomers it holds a turn quite well but, at 116 underfoot in the 192 length, it isn’t terribly easy to get back and forth from edge to edge.

Insider tip: If you’re a Blizzard fan boy, try the Rustler 9 or 10 if the 11 is a bit too much.​

Who is it for?
Skiers who want to let their inner kid out and rip. Strong skiers who enjoy a powerful big mountain ski that requires attention.
Who is it not for?
Ice mavens. Perhaps bigger skiers could overpower it, but don’t quote me on that. Lighter, less adept skiers. Intermediate skiers can definitely ski it, but there may be better choices.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
172, 180, 188, 192
Dimensions
142-114-132
Radius
17.5m@172cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
Im a bit out of touch with latest news. Are there any updates on the 11 since last year? I have skied mine for 4 yrs and almost 100 days. Love these skis. The question is related to that they soon needs replacement for wear reason. As fan to the series I added a 9 two years ago.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Im a bit out of touch with latest news. Are there any updates on the 11 since last year? I have skied mine for 4 yrs and almost 100 days. Love these skis. The question is related to that they soon needs replacement for wear reason. As fan to the series I added a 9 two years ago.
No, this is a complete carryover ski from last season.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
They were actually updated/some form of construction change on the down low along with the Rustler 9 in 2021 as both skis now weigh 100-150gr more than previous versions did in the same size. Not sure if the weight gain was intentional or just the result of a manufacturing difference.

Kanuk

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m looking at the Rustler 11’s (180], J Skis Friend (177 or 183), Icelantic Nomad (181), and maybe the DPS Pagoda (178). I’m an advanced skier with flashes of expert, 6’ tall, and weigh 165 lbs +/-. I’m in my late 60’s and ski about 1.5 million feet of vert per year. If I really boiled it down, my preference is powder and trees. I’m in B C. I am more of a finesse skier than a hard charger.

Here is the dilemma. Most of the reviews tell me what I want to hear. Terms like quick, forgiving, effortless and so on. But…the same review will also say something along the lines of “hard charging, requires attention, burly, and so on. The manufacturer’s buzz words on their websites seem to cover all of these bases. Because of the all things to everyone approach the manufacturers reviews take it’s difficult for me to narrow down the ski I should consider buying. I’m in an area where demoing any of these is pretty much impossible.

Finally, I’m lazy, so I‘d like a ski that doesn’t wear me out by noon. Does anyone have first hand experience with any off these skis. Thx eh.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
I can't comment on the J/Friend or DPS/Pagoda skis but I've excerpted and added to my comments from another thread regarding the Icelantic Nomad 105 and the Bizzard Ruster 11 as I've skiied them both. The Rustler 11 is my current 1 quiver/daily driver ski.

Loved my Nomad 105’s. 1quiver ski - was my daily driver used for western big mtn skiing for many years.

Terrain that I ski in: (Lake Louise/Sunshine/Revy/Kicking Horse/Fernie/Castle/etc). Ski the entire mountain but focus on off piste/big powder lines, steeps and trees. Love moguls and ripping the groom too though. Basic features in the park.

Skier: 175lbs, 5-8” Agressive fast skier. 50 ish ski days per year. Competent double black skiier.

Nomad 105: Very tough topsheets and bases and I’m hard on gear. (ON3P's Durasurf bases are tougher though). Skied them at the gathering in Utah. Pretty much went everywhere at Snowbasin, Alta, Snowbird.

Very quick, easy to do flat spins as they are semi twin tip. Zipperline moguls/tight trees - no problem. Crud/chop/reasonably deep pow -no problem. Very fun and energetic. Blister review is bang on.

Had a 171 in length and actual width underfoot as others gave mentioned was 110ish. I think it had a 16 m turn radius so pretty maneuverable. Easy to rail them over on the groom with decent edge hold.
basically loved em to death...edge repairs, no more base left and there were core shots in my core shots...

I thought I’d just get another pair but during my demo process the Blizzard rep suggested I try his Ruster 11s in a 180. (112 underwaist) Great ski-and they edged out the Nomads to become my new daily driver. Why?

Rustler 11:
Comparatively, the Rustlers are easier in deep powder/crud/softpack. Better flotation in deep powder and less deflection in chop/cut pow. I use waaay less energy and go significanly faster with my Rustlers. Ripping big lines or at high speed in variable terain or softpack/chop they require less energy and deflect less than the Nomads. They absorb landings better than the nomads as well. Very stable ski that I can still rail over on the groom. They do take more effort comparative to the Nomads on the groom and hardpack. Landings are also easier on the Rustlers. (Flat spins are still easily doable but not as effortless as the Nomad.)
Nomads were shorter turn radius at 16m (in a 171 length) vs 19m (in a 180 length) for Rustlers, and physically shorter so they were just slightly better in moguls and super tight trees and just a bit easier to rail over and hold on groom/hardpack. The Rustler’s are still great in tight trees -almost as good as the Nomads.

Given how I ski and the terrain I’m skiing I’m extremely happy with the Rustler 11’s - allows me to run a 1-ski quiver. (If I was skiing in hardpack or groom conditions/terrain more than off piste then I’d give the edge to the Nomads). Snow quality is usually not an issue for me given the #’s of hills available. So in the end I gave up a little on the tight tree line/zipperline mogul quickness and hardpack/groom hold/ease but gained significantly in the areas of powder flotation, and crud/chop performance resulting in being able to ski faster, smoother while using less energy. I also followed the Blizzard rep's reccomendation (after discussing my needs/terrain etc.) and moved up to a 180 length and have never felt it was too long a ski.

YMMV...but I have no hesitations in recommending either the Nomad 105 or Rustler 11’s per my experiences above.

I see you are in BC and I've hit a few of the interior BC resorts last year, namely Red, Whitewater, and Revy doing lots of tree sking and the Rusters were outstanding as they were in Ferine for bowl skiing, and at Sun Peaks hitting Burfield laps and at KH dropping off CPR/Whitewall/Fuez etc. They were fantastic doing cat skiing powder runs with Big Red Cats and hittting super deep powder/tree skiing in Japan so they have held up and worked well for me.

I've never felt that the Rustlers were "trying to run away on me"...they have plenty of speed if you want it but, and also for me, they never seemed like they would "punish me" if i got in the back seat and I've never felt that I "had to be on top of them all the time" to get them to perform.

I feel I am using less energy and ski faster and better/smoother since moving to the Rustlers (again given my terrain choices)

Cheers!

Kanuk

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great feedback. Actual user reviews trump manufacturer’s reviews for me. Thank you. The Friend and the Pagoda are really expensive. The Pagoda is almost double the price of the Rustler 11’s. I can’t believe they’re that much better than the Rustlers.
I‘d only use them on new snow days and wouldn’t use them on groomer days. Based on your feedback and other “no obligation“ reviews I think the Rustlers just might fit the bill. Thanks again.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Great feedback. Actual user reviews trump manufacturer’s reviews for me. Thank you. The Friend and the Pagoda are really expensive. The Pagoda is almost double the price of the Rustler 11’s. I can’t believe they’re that much better than the Rustlers.
I‘d only use them on new snow days and wouldn’t use them on groomer days. Based on your feedback and other “no obligation“ reviews I think the Rustlers just might fit the bill. Thanks again.
Happy to help. The members on this site have provided me with a ton of good first hand advice and opinions…so it’s nice to be able to pass that on. Enjoy!

Jwil90

Skier
Rustlers or QST Blank? Does anyone have comparisons or feedback between the 2

Sponsor