• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Blossom AM85

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree, the AM77 is a superb ski and covers a decent bandwidth of conditions. There is a good % of the market that feels a 77 ski is too narrow. Its a shame because if you ski the front side, something like the Laser AX, Blossom AM77, Kastle MX 78 or others in that mid to upper 70's are superb skis that are purposely built. I totally understand that some might only want 1 or 2 skis in a quiver though. I'd take a step further though and wonder why more people aren't on a SL ski or similar? then the jump from 65mm to 85mm makes more sense.

Yeah, I can relate to that. I've got a quiver of narrow SL race and "SL like" frontside skis.
There's a place for a mid 80's ski in my quiver. The Blossom AM85s are replacing my Kastle FX84s ( 2 pair ), which are now pretty much my rock skis. I also have mid 90's, 100s, and 10somethings. They all have their place and utility.

@Quandary, The AM77 would have been on my radar, but I already have the mid 70's spot taken; I'm sure it's an awesome choice over the AM85 if one didn't have that spot in their quiver taken.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are the side by side tips and tails of those skis for reference not decambered:
tips.jpg

I have to say I don't really understand the point of the design of this ski. With essentially no rocker tip or tail there really is no off piste versatility.

Based on the pictures that @mulva28 posted, they seem to have a similar rocker profile to my Stöckli Stormrider 88's

First inclination is to compare the AM85 to the Stöckli AR, I know I fell into that trap, but really it is more like the Stormrider 88.
I am appending a photo of the 2020 Stormrider 85 Motion tips. (I believe this profile is very similar to the 2020 Stormrider 88 unisex ski but don't have that ski in hand to prove it.) There is PLENTY of early tip rise here. It's very noticeable when you ski it. I think it's evident that it's nothing like the Blossom above. In addition to the early rise, the tip turn-up is, by comparison, very gradual on the Stöckli. I happen to like that in 3D snow.

So I'm going to disagree with Phil and Kevin here. At least as far as the topic of rocker goes, Stormrider != AM85. I have not skied the AM85, so I'm inferring a lot, I confess. Lump me in with François!

I am a Blossom fan, so this is not a slam on the brand, but I have to say I agree with @Quandary here, to the extent that personally I'm not interested in skiing a true full camber ski in the bumps, trees or crud. Yep, I know, that's just my preference.

Don't get hung up on the term rocker, it can mean almost anything.
Or - as in this case - almost nothing.

PXL_20211119_003448876-01.jpeg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
So. It’s totally a matter of preference. conver.ey, I wouldn’t buy the am85 if it had that much splay.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are a lot of arm chair reviewing going on from people who haven't been on the product. ;)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So since I do ski the SL as my front side ski, I decided after far too much consideration to go with a new AM85. Well, actually, the decision was really easy. I am fortunate to ski enough that I can justify a mid 80's and a mid 90's especially when each ski fills a unique purpose. The AM85 will fill a need for days when im skiing mostly bumps, jumping into some soft trees and still ripping around on the groomed once it gets soft. So I ordered up a pair and here they are! I was pleasantly surprised to open the box and see that they are actually Pink and Black. I love em' and they look awesome. Done very well.

View attachment 149732

I really like where Blossom has gone with their graphics. Simple, elegant, and stylish. The Pink & Black is "hawt". ;)

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
So since I do ski the SL as my front side ski, I decided after far too much consideration to go with a new AM85. Well, actually, the decision was really easy. I am fortunate to ski enough that I can justify a mid 80's and a mid 90's especially when each ski fills a unique purpose. The AM85 will fill a need for days when im skiing mostly bumps, jumping into some soft trees and still ripping around on the groomed once it gets soft. So I ordered up a pair and here they are! I was pleasantly surprised to open the box and see that they are actually Pink and Black. I love em' and they look awesome. Done very well.
@Ron not sure if you have skied the Fischer RC One 86GTs, if you have once you have skied the Blossoms it would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on a compare and contrast between the two skis in different conditions and on piste/off piste.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Ron not sure if you have skied the Fischer RC One 86GTs, if you have once you have skied the Blossoms it would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on a compare and contrast between the two skis in different conditions and on piste/off piste.
I have skied both extensively, having both in our long term test fleet. Both skis are incrediblely smooth in their in snow feel because the constructions are top notch. The Fischer is a more relaxed ski with it's more gradual tip rise, triple radius sidecut and tapered tail and between the two, better off piste. The AM85 is much more traditional in shape, profile and sidecut and the one if you you looking for better groomer performance. Neither are a bad choice.

This is where everyones definition of all mountain differ, for some it means they ski every trail on the mountain for others it means they ski every inch of the hill. Either way there are compromises and do you want a ski to help your weeknesses or build on your strenghts.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is where everyones definition of all mountain differ, for some it means they ski every trail on the mountain for others it means they ski every inch of the hill.
I like this as it summarizes the different POVs in a nutshell. As someone who views the later as "all mountain" I clearly made the right choice, the Fischers, for my "skinny" ski.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Ill add the blossom has a flex pattern that works exceptionally well in the bumps and piled. I much prefer traditional shaped frontside skis. So the shape and flex is where im drawn to. What some are missing is that the flex of the ski can work as well or better than certain rocker profiles.

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have skied both extensively, having both in our long term test fleet. Both skis are incrediblely smooth in their in snow feel because the constructions are top notch. The Fischer is a more relaxed ski with it's more gradual tip rise, triple radius sidecut and tapered tail and between the two, better off piste. The AM85 is much more traditional in shape, profile and sidecut and the one if you you looking for better groomer performance. Neither are a bad choice.

This is where everyones definition of all mountain differ, for some it means they ski every trail on the mountain for others it means they ski every inch of the hill. Either way there are compromises and do you want a ski to help your weeknesses or build on your strenghts.

I like this as it summarizes the different POVs in a nutshell. As someone who views the later as "all mountain" I clearly made the right choice, the Fischers, for my "skinny" ski.

General guidelines, not hard fast rules. Some still prefer full camber for the later half of all mountain. I've tried quite a few rockered skis, but I find shapes like the AM85 suit my style better. Give it a shot, you might be surprised. For reference, my "all mountain" is Baker Libraries.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I agree with @Philpug, although my experience is with the equivalent of the AM77 and the Fischers. My Blossoms have the Vist Speedlock plates. Their on-snow performance is superior. Nothing knocks them around in the slightest and they are better on the groomers. I absolutely love them.

The Fischers are also great skis on the groomed runs but they are not as stable and don't carve as well. However they are much easier to ski off-piste and better at slow speeds. I spent a week and took them all over Mammoth in all sorts of conditions and never found anything they were not suitable for. I bought them as my "ski with my kids ski."

Reactions: Ron

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just mounted them up.

1638826645621.jpeg

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Awesome! What color are yours? They look pink but they can look really different with indoors lighting.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awesome! What color are yours? They look pink but they can look really different with indoors lighting.
They are more orange than the picture makes them appear. But they are a light orange indeed. Nice fit and finish on these skis. Hopefully I'll get on them this week :)

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

Took my Pepto-Pink AM85's out today for really good testing conditions. We got about 5" over some pretty hard snow which after the mass's skied it, formed push piles. The transitions from "firm" snow to piled made for great testing grounds. I confirmed my prior opinion about this ski. its so smooth and predictable and went from skied off hard pack, to push piles without a blink. the tip flexes enough and on-edge they are torsionally rigid. I didnt ski them particularly fast today due to the amount of people but at moderate, 15mph speeds, they were very stable and consistent. So easy to ski the AM85.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had my AM85s, mounted flat with Look Pivot 15s, out last week at Killington Vermont. I was going to wait until I skied them a few more times before posting a review, but instead I'll share my initial thoughts, and update as the season progresses.

Conditions were a mixed bag ranging from groomed and tilled and polished manmade ( eastern packed powder ), to icy bumps, to soft natural snow on Old Super Star and Upper Ovation and Upper Royal Flush, to edge-able ice, to WC ice on Super Star.

I had spent the morning carving every open trail on my Fischer RC4 Curvs. After lunch I took out the AM85s for my maiden run on these skis ( I had not demoed them before purchase .)

The factory tune was dead flat with a good 1/2 edge. The only thing I needed to to was file the side edge near tip a little to crisp up the edge near the tip and polish the edges. I left the 1/2, as I wanted to test the factory tune. I usually ski a 1/3 or a .5/3, but decided to ski these first with the 1/2 tune and for grins and giggles. I'll most likely change the edge to a 3 since I'm on the ice coast.

The skis were smooth and easy to ski. Not a ton of rebound, but quiet and confident. At first I thought they skied softer than what I had envisioned by the hand flex test, but what I have deduced by skiing them is that the flex is smoothly progressive--this should be real nice in deeper soft and cut up powder. The soft initial flex of the tips smooths out rough terrain, but on edge in a carve they stiffen up nicely.

They handled the icy bumps on the right side of Bunny Buster surprising well. There were some smaller bumps on Upper Royal Flush that I just skied over as if they weren't there. On Old Super Star there was cutup natural snow pushed into piles. They plowed through that easily.

They held well carving on steep icy WC ice on Super Star headwall.

I'll update more as I get more experience with them.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The factory tune was dead flat with a good 1/2 edge. The only thing I needed to to was file the side edge near tip a little to crisp up the edge near the tip and polish the edges. I left the 1/2, as I wanted to test the factory tune. I usually ski a 1/3 or a .5/3, but decided to ski these first with the 1/2 tune and for grins and giggles. I'll most likely change the edge to a 3 since I'm on the ice coast.

The skis were smooth and easy to ski. Not a ton of rebound, but quiet and confident. At first I thought they skied softer than what I had envisioned by the hand flex test, but what I have deduced by skiing them is that the flex is smoothly progressive--this should be real nice in deeper soft and cut up powder. The soft initial flex of the tips smooths out rough terrain, but on edge in a carve they stiffen up nicely.

yep, factory tune was spot on. I like a 1:3 for anything for the groomed. I did need another coat of wax as they were a little Slow on our funky snow this AM but we are really getting picky :). . I find that I can load them up pretty well in the apex but they are just really composed in the pushed around and loose snow. the hand flex is very deceiving.

Sponsor