• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Blossom AM85

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
The transitions from "firm" snow to piled made for great testing grounds. I confirmed my prior opinion about this ski. its so smooth and predictable and went from skied off hard pack, to push piles without a blink. the tip flexes enough and on-edge they are torsionally rigid. I didnt ski them particularly fast today due to the amount of people but at moderate, 15mph speeds, they were very stable and consistent. So easy to ski the AM85.
My wife skied her 2021 Crosswinds for the first time today (same as AM85) . Conditions were snowing 1" per hour after a hard East Coast freeze meaning fresh snow on ice with fish you can see underneath. Interesting to say the least. Her comments were, butter smooth when transitioning from fresh to ice and back. It was only the last run of the day when the mountain reported 8" new snow that she said she could have used more rocker. I was on my No1 RC's and concurred. It took a lot of fresh wettish snow to put these skis out of their comfort zone. These skis ski very well/smooth through mixed conditions and shine in days like these.
Also to note: If the day started 8" fresh on a hard base, we would have been on our Enforcer 88/Santa Ana 93; but the icy conditions reported the day before and the snow starting at opening bell put us on our Blossoms to handle the variable snow. This was the right decision since the day started out so hard and fast and it was only with a run or 2 left in the day that we would have preferred the Nordicas. There was a point a little before that when either ski would have done well; but the Blossoms carve so much better and push through piles of used up snow about as well.

Last edited:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Wife moved the Vist 412 (SpeedCom plate) up 2cm from the line, got a 3/1 tune and... happy face emoji with heart eyes. She loves her 169 Santa Ana 93's and she loves these 172 Crosswinds even more; now at +2 cm and a slightly more aggressive tune. These Blossoms are just so smooth and easy to ski. In my opinion, she looks really good on these skis in "not so great" conditions. I have my theories but she just loves these skis and looks really good skiing them.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

Skied my the AM85's yesterday in a mix of chalky firm snow, hardpack to firm ungroomed and bumps. The more I ski the AM85, the more I like the ski and the more I enjoy its versatility. I know this is a point of contention with some regarding the lack of rocker on this ski but im being 100% honest when I say I dont think this ski needs any. It does all it should at 85mm underfoot (my 178 measures 86mm using digital calipers BTW) off piste and arc's beautifully on piste. I think it does short radius turns especially well with the ever so slightly softer tip. it engages immediately and can be bent and steered. This flex profile also excels in the bumps.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Medium term update:

I had my AM85s out for a couple of days at Killington this past week and I am impressed with their ability to gain my heart. The more I pushed theses skis the better it gets. I have mine mounted flat with Look Pivot 15's and after the initial days on them I had contemplated changing the binding to a VIST plate binding. As an ex-racer dude I'm used to a little more stand height. When I tested them a few weeks ago, I liked the ski, but was questioning my binding choice ( The Looks have the lowest stand height going in a binding. ) Anyway, I figured out the binding's lack of stand height and started ripping arc to arc turns with the ski this past week. The ski's tip seems a tad soft, but they are not really, they have a progressive flex, and have a lot of rebound once loaded. Without a plate the ski is even more flexy, but in a good way--get ready for a big rebound once loaded into a high edge carve. The skis are a bit of a chameleon, skied slowly they seem medium soft and compliant, able to shape any turn at will. Skied hard they tighten up and deliver. They ski bumps beautifully for an 85mm ski. Make no mistake, these skis are not a race ski/dedicated front side carver, these are every bit of an "all mountain" ski, but they certainly shine at high speed carves as well as off piste.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Wife moved her bindings back to only +1cm from "the line" and likes this more than the +2cm and right on the line. Noticed the difference on the first run. She's on the 172 and is 5'10". We moved these back because @Ron mentioned that +2cm was a bit much for this ski and he was right apparently. I can't review for my wife, but she automatically reaches for these skis over her Santa Ana 93's on every day but significant new snow days. Makes sense except for the fact that last year she took her Santa Ana's out over her Head Super Joys (75mm) like 100/118 days last year; and she really likes the Super Joys.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
In an effort to thin the herd, I sold a bunch of skis that included the Blossom AM85. This ranks as, without question, among the absolute dumbest things I have ever done - skiing or otherwise.
If you are reading this thread, you are well on your way to getting a great ski. Don't be dumb like me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In an effort to thin the herd, I sold a bunch of skis that included the Blossom AM85. This ranks as, without question, among the absolute dumbest things I have ever done - skiing or otherwise.
If you are reading this thread, you are well on your way to getting a great ski. Don't be dumb like me.
They are making more.

Sponsor