• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Blossom Numero Uno N°1 RC

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The Blossom Numero Uno N*1 RC is an old soul and very well could be one of the oldest ski molds that is currently on the market but don't tell that to it. The ski was as fresh as its modern graphics. It shows that a well designed and constructed ski is near timeless.The RC is as playful as a puppy in slow to medium speeds and the published 15 meter sidecut felt felt very accurate. All you have to do with the RC is to lay it over and start turning and let the speed build. If you want to scrub speed, not a problem, release the tails then if you want it back again lock them in. Where some skis in this class expect you to go fast if you want them to perform, the Blossom has power on demand and it is at your beck and call. The Numero Uno N°1 RC is a ski that should be considered by everyone who enjoys ripping up groomers on a bluebird morning. While the Numero Uno collection name is new, an homage to the old Spalding skis, the N°1 RC model is the renamed Great Shape, a ski that we reviewed a few seasons back.

Andy Mink: This ski is very confidence inspiring. Lay it over and it holds. Pull that uphill ski back a little bit and it tightens...tightens...tightens...but allows the tails to be released wherever, whenever you want. Transitions from nice groomer to skier packed lumpy-bumpy were uneventful. The ski is very quiet no matter the conditions I ran in to. This is a ski that I could see buying for myself.

BS Slarver: I snagged these from the SkiTalk rack. With no new snow in the last few days I gotta say these were the perfect ski for the day. I have to agree with the Ferrari feel from the very first turn to the last run in a variety of turn shapes. These skied fantastic regardless of a centered foot or forward stance. Fellow BS skier and ex NORAM racer and I share the same BSL so I put him for a run, WOW ! What a ride ! This from someone who doesn’t hand out compliments very often.

Insider tip 1: Buy flat and add a race plate, maybe a Marker piston plate and an Xcell 16.0 or at least a Vist Speedlock Pro plate and Vist 412 binding.​
Insider tip 2: We were very temped to make use this mold for the SkiTalk Sideral.​

Awards
Who is it for?
This is a sports car -- think of a red one, maybe with a prancing horse on the side, but with Audi pricing.
Who is it not for?
While some are calling the 71 a cheater GS, there are real race skis that are better.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
145, 151, 158, 164, 170, 176, 181
Dimensions
121-71-106
Radius
14m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
  3. Plate
Last edited by a moderator:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sad that you took this part out from your 2021 review, @Philpug: "I have said this only once before about a ski: it slows down time. The Great Shape is the type of ski that villages will write songs about." For some reason, the thing about villages writing songs tickled more than anything I've ever read in a ski review! But seriously, sounds like an amazing ski.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I (Male 5'7" 175 lbs) got a few runs on my 170 No1 RC (tuned to 3* edge 1* base) today at a crowded early season Killington. Bindings are the Vist 412 with SpeedCom Plate, not the race plate. Not the best day to test a ski since the mountain is 2% open and it's World Cup weekend here but.... Conditions were very variable ranging from scraped and icy with random piles of snow at the top to soft almost slushy at the bottom. Biggest takeaway is that this "sport carver" is extremely versatile. All Mountain versatile which I didn't expect at all even with all the reviews pretty much stating this. On this really variable day it liked everything. Smooth, stable and FUN! Energetic. Popping off the piles of snow into the next turn felt fantastic and was easy. I'll use this as a placeholder and update as I get more time on these.

Last edited:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Hmmm, seems like I can't edit the last post. In that case, I'll put a bunch of days on the ski and give a full impression mid season. But not before I give another initial impression post. Had my second day on these skis today with way different conditions. Frozen surface with 3 inches of fresh wet snow and temps falling as snowfall intensity was increasing. @Philpug mentioned something about this ski slows down time. Now I understand. You will not win beer league races on this ski but you will be able to make lots of different turn shapes at lots of different speeds with confidence. People mention the on snow feel of the Blossom skis. Now I understand. It's planted but also energetic and poppy; let's you react immediately to changes in snow surface. It let's you play and doesn't tire you out. I think this is the beginning of a healthy long term relationship. This ski might be "the one" :)

Last edited:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Update:

12 days on these skis now... I'm at the point where I'm looking forward to skiing, but I'm really looking forward to skiing my 170cm No1 RC. We haven't had a bunch of snow at Killington so far this season and so carvers have been the go to ski. As a fun carver, I absolutely love this ski. Turn shapes from medium short to medium long feel so right and it's so easy to change up radius and speed by focussing on the top/initiation/high C of the turn. I loved @Philpug 's line he used to have in the review where this ski slows down time; because I've had so many Neo from the Matrix moments this Christmas week where skiers are already down, going down in front of me, trail is bending and getting steep with bumps and ice and I'm coming up to a busy intersection and I'm just finessing through the whole mess as if time is standing still while it's all happenning. It takes skill, but I haven't experienced this with other skis to this extent before. Some people have described this as a good teaching ski, but it's also a very good learning ski. You should be able to carve turns at an advanced level and understand your movements already, but if that's you, I think you will really appreciate the RC if you're trying to improve your already good technique. This isn't a race ski or even a ski bum race ski, but it's not far off and it is more forgiving because of that. Bring your A game and it's very rewarding! I'm focussed on improving already good technical skiing and the No1 RC is perfect for this.

We had a trail opened today on manmade snow and it got very bumped up, trail is medium steep; I was having a blast as the RC was so energetic, quick and poppy (surprised becase it's also so planted on groomers) and I'm usually better off on a more rockered, tapered ski in this type of terrain but the RC did it really well. I'm dedicated to learning this ski on all terrain that's not a powder day and it's paying off as I used to hate skis like this in more challenging bumps.

Skis are in the shop now for a fresh 3/1 tune. I had 3 edges that were totally wrecked after 8 days of skiing this ski everywhere. I'll put some more time on this ski and give another update but I'm really happy so far!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I went up to Mt. Rose today just to get a couple of afternoon laps in... and skied until last chair. The RCs just ate up the firm groomers. Longer slow turns, fast shorter turns, even a run or two through some soft bumps, the Blossoms are, as I said in my initial reaction, confidence inspiring. Don't think they are a hard ski to ski, but don't be fooled into thinking they are wimpy just because they are easy at lower speeds. They will go as fast as most mere mortals should go and stay cool, calm, and collected while doing so.
20220105_150339.jpg

The N°1 RC Numero Uno thrives on, but not limited to, firm, fast, groomers.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
tempImagePVtkJp.png
Long term update: We had the green machine N*1 RC in our test fleet last year with the Vist Speedcom binding system but this year I thought I would step it up a bit this year by putting Vist's metal Speedlock PRO on this year's ski and it is noticeable. The Speedlock PRO binding is the same system we have on the SkiTalk Sideral and while it adds power to the ski we saw very little loss in versatility and that rings true with the addition of the bindings to the Numero Uno N*1 RC.

Today's conditions were ideal for the RC, manicured groomers and then once it got skied in chalky off piste that were stiff enough so the ski could not sink. The narrowish my many 71 mm waisted RC is one of the oldest skis on the market and while it's not the ageless wonder Tom Brady, it always stands up to the challenge and looks good while doing it.
tempImagesSaxPV.jpg

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wondering if these skis will someday follow their cousins from the Test Fleet to my quiver... beautiful pics and skis!

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Been stalking the forums reading up on Blossom Numero Uno's and i've noticed something repeated a few times now. To those that own Blossom ski's and service them, do they seem to lose their edges faster than other brands? I'm wondering if they use a softer metal for their edges.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Been stalking the forums reading up on Blossom Numero Uno's and i've noticed something repeated a few times now. To those that own Blossom ski's and service them, do they seem to lose their edges faster than other brands? I'm wondering if they use a softer metal for their edges.
I haven't noticed it but I am not skiing the packed powder (see:ice) you are in the East. I also haven't seen where it has been repeated.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Killington skier and not noticing this at all. Lack of snow earlier this season led me over some rocks but that's on me. I tend to take my carvers into some strange places. 18 days on my RC and full tune before the season, 2 sharpen and wax since and they feel great.

Quick update since I'm here:
I just love this ski. Easy to get the turn shape I want at any speed. I feel like an elite skier on these, no joke. They give me so much confidence and I'm getting so comfortable with really big angles and slingshotting short turns like a bargain basement McGlashan. Highline at Killington is the race trail and I took these skis on it after a solid 4-5 days of it being closed with constant snowmaking....Huge whales of snow and huge bumps the day they opened it (before the first groom) and the RC was quick, nimble and just soft enough in the tips to handle those 2PM mis-shapen, no defined line, adventure, steep VW Beetle bumps. Really great (and FUN!!!) on groomed but yeah, you can take these off-piste too.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: I took the RCs back out to Mt. Rose again and conditions are very similar to what they've been for a few weeks: firm chalk with some dust on crust and occasional marbles. I ran into @JFB on the hill and he was skiing his Numero Uno SCs and we both came to the same conclusion. The snow feel is superb with the builds on these skis. You just get a super smooth, super connected feel. I did venture down through some trees and, while the snow was similar to the groomers, there were divots and bumps. I did hook the tail a few times, something I prefer to NOT do with large trees in the vicinity. Again, not this ski's wheel house but doable. Carving them is just so fun and where they truly shine.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I did venture down through some trees and, while the snow was similar to the groomers, there were divots and bumps. I did hook the tail a few times, something I prefer to NOT do with large trees in the vicinity. Again, not this ski's wheel house but doable. Carving them is just so fun and where they truly shine.
Agree here big time. Although, I'm not sure about taking these into VT trees as they are often very tight and you never really know how much snow cover you have. Bumps, yes, doable, especially softer bumps in gentle to moderate pitches. Groomers of any sort are just pure bliss.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can any of you guys compare these to a ski like the Stockli Laser SC? Similarities, strengths/weaknesses, etc...?

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Hey folks got some time on these at Alta and Deer Valley. Everything already said by @Andy Mink @Philpug @BS Slarver and @mulva28 rang true.

My impressions echo all that. Super stable with the piston plates on some boilerplate-ish dust on crust frozen groomers here in Utah where conditions are really tough right now. Ferrari is a perfect metaphor. These want to go much faster than I am comfortable with, got up into the high 50's maybe kissed 60 mph and the skis were just getting started. Also got suckered into a glade bump run - no fun, mainly because my technique sucks. Buried the tails a good many times, so keep em on piste if you have an 'average' skillset like me.

But for groomer zoomer - holy moly. SO FUN. So stable, damped and just get better the faster you go. Love these so much.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I might be dropping ours off at Wintersteiger to get the V-Shape tune but just the base 1.1/.7/1.1 and 3* on the side.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I might be dropping ours off at Wintersteiger to get the V-Shape tune but just the base 1.1/.7/1.1 and 3* on the side.
How much of the tips/tails get the 1.1? Where is the area between .7 and 1.1, like 1, .9, .8? Maybe I should read the Jupiter thread more closely. Also, DO IT!!!! Probably would be money on this ski with either binding option.

Sponsor