• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) 2022 Chile Trip Report - Nevados de Chillan

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Hola amigos!
Hope all is well and you have been enjoying the summer. It's time for me to start gearing up for the next TR and a return to South America. Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be headed down to Chile from the 8th of August to the 2nd September. I'm going to start the blog now, so I can post updates and weather reports here, prior to heading down. It seemed like a good idea to start the blog today, as Nevados de Chillan just opened for the season. It's been 3 years since I was last there due the Pandemic and I can't wait to go back. I love heading down to South America for 3 weeks in the summer, beating the heat and getting away from all the pollen (I get hay-fever pretty badly....)

I booked my flights the other day and airfares are definitely up since last time I flew there. I'm flying from Denver-Houston-Santiago-Concepcion. Prices have really been fluctuating; they were steady around $1,600 a couple of months ago and then they started to rise. The highest price was around $2,900+ (with United/LATAM) and then they came down to $2,100, when I got mine. I could have gotten them for $1,800 if I wanted to fly back via Bogota, but I didn't fancy that. It's a lot to pay but that's the price of international travel right now.

It seems like the whole of the Southern Hemisphere has been getting good snow. Chile/Argentina started getting the snowfalls first a couple of months ago, then Australia got a big dump to get their season started at the beginning of June, then NZ got hammered and now South America has been getting good snow. I think even South Africa is having a good start. Hopefully it keeps going and we have great conditions for the time we travel there.

All I have to do now is recover from my mountain bike crash in the DH park at Granby Ranch on the 23rd June and I'll be good to go. I messed up on a jump and landed on the flats on my ribs and crushed my right arm/hand. The ribs are still pretty sore (no broken bones, just strained cartilage which has been very uncomfortable) but my right pinky finger was broken. I'll find out on Tuesday if I have to have surgery on it but I'm still hoping to be able to ski. Everyday I feel a bit better and I would hope that in a couple of weeks, I'll be good to go.

I was close to going last summer, when Chile was on the verge of re-opening for international tourism, but they kept pushing the re-opening back 2-weeks at a time and eventually the border did not re-open at all. If you recall, I started the 2020 blog but never got any further than early weather reports...... This summer, the borders are open and restrictions for travel are workable. The only requirements are fill out an online travel affidavit 24 to 48 hours prior to departure and show that you have travel insurance with at least $30k medical coverage. You might be tested at random for COVID on arrival (recommended to do a rapid test prior to departure therefore) and it's also recommended to apply only for the Mobility Pass, which is basically a digital readout of your COVID vaccination records with a scannable QRF code on it.

You need to show that for entry into indoor public places such as restaurants, bars, cinema, buses, individual domestic flights in Chile. It's not mandatory to obtain the Mobility Pass, but is recommended to have it if you want to avoid any complications and have a decent experience. I applied for mine on Thursday, so hopefully I will have it by Monday as the processing time has now been sped up to only 48 business hours..... it used to be at least a month. I'm onto it very early so there should be no complications in obtaining it hopefully.

So that's it for now. I'll post some weather updates (currently snowing hard in Nevados de Chillan with heavy snow in the forecast until the 6th, then another wave for 3 or 4 days starting on the 11th July. Things are shaping up nicely. Fingers crossed we keep moving forward.....

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Updates.....

I had my broken finger looked at today and the surgeon feels like I don't need to have surgery, so that is good news. Now I can definitely travel to Chile. I received my Chilean Mobility Pass today, that's a certified copy of my vaccination record in Spanish, with a QR code on it. I will have a printed copy on me so that it can be scanned when I need to go into a restaurant or other indoor public venue. I have my travel insurance, so all I have left to do now is the online Travel Affidavit, 48 hours prior to departure (that is linked into the mevacuno account that I set up for the Mobility Pass).

The snow is falling hard at Nevados de Chillan. Right now, they are looking at approx 223cm's at mid-mountain, in the next 6 days. This is shaping up to be the best start to a season I have seen since I have been going there from 2016 onwards - https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Chillan/6day/mid. Hopefully it keeps going, but coverage looks great right now. Should be a good season.

- Matt

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
I visited my daughter in Chile about a month ago. I was only asked a few times for my Covid vaccination record. I used my iPhone photo of the CDC card. I was never asked for a vaccine card in the bus or subway/train. FYI, I did not get a mobility pass and it seems that the lack of the pass, did not make a difference for traveling. Many people wore masks, and only took off masked while in the restaurant. Super chill and safe visit.

Last edited:
TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I visited my daughter in Chile about a month ago. I was only asked a few times for my Covid vaccination record. I used my iPhone photo of the CDC card. I was never asked for a vaccine card in the bus or subway/train. FYI, I did not get a mobility pass and it seems that the lack of the pass, did not make a difference for traveling. Many people wore masks, and only took off masked while in the restaurant. Super chill and safe visit.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you got to visit and had a great time! I got the Mobility Pass just to be on the safe side, hopefully we won't need it but we have them if we do.....

James

Out There
Instructor
I got the Mobility Pass just to be on the safe side, hopefully we won't need it but we have them if we do.....
Back in February, I got the EU Pass Sanitaire. On the phone and printed out with QR code. Basically used the paper the whole time - so much easier.
Anyway, it was a breeze to use and took no time. Pretty much every restaurant required it, can’t remember on stores.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Looking good in Las Trancas today! This is a photo from our accommodation in Las Trancas and this is about a 15 to 20 minute drive, down valley from the Nevados de Chillan ski area. Typically if it's been snowing down in Las Trancas, then that means really good snow at the ski area. Quite often it will be raining in Las Trancas and then snowing on the mountain, so this is a great sign. It looks like great conditions on the mountain with complete coverage. We are off to a great start, perhaps the best start to a season since I've been going to Nevados de Chillan in 2016.....

292239533_10159868062671168_791815108674221322_n.jpg

- Matt

James

Out There
Instructor
Looking good in Las Trancas today! This is a photo from our accommodation in Las Trancas and this is about a 15 to 20 minute drive, down valley from the Nevados de Chillan ski area. Typically if it's been snowing down in Las Trancas, then that means really good snow at the ski area. Quite often it will be raining in Las Trancas and then snowing on the mountain, so this is a great sign. It looks like great conditions on the mountain with complete coverage. We are off to a great start, perhaps the best start to a season since I've been going to Nevados de Chillan in 2016.....

View attachment 172831

- Matt
Do you have a service that takes you up to the ski area?

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Do you have a service that takes you up to the ski area?
Yes, we work with a local transportation company who provides us with a private lift to/from the resort each day. They also do our airport transfers as well.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Looks like the sun was out today at Nevados de Chillan and we can finally see the whole mountain. Looks amazing and coverage looks complete -

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Negative..... sadly @Drahtguy Kevin will not be in attendance as I think he's too busy at work in the summertime. He would be welcome to join us though and he should note that the beer is also very inexpensive and the steaks even cheaper......
It’s a fine place to get gout!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
A little video from Nevados de Chillan today....

Muy bien!
You rent one of those houses in Las Tranacas for the entire time your there? Are there mercados, restaurants and taquerias around the lodging? This has been a ‘bucket list’ of mine for many summers! The terrain at Nevados de Chillian keeps you entertained your entire stay?

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Muy bien!
You rent one of those houses in Las Tranacas for the entire time your there? Are there mercados, restaurants and taquerias around the lodging? This has been a ‘bucket list’ of mine for many summers! The terrain at Nevados de Chillian keeps you entertained your entire stay?

I stay at a small resort that a friend owns and he has cabins and a large lodge. We rent the rooms in the lodge and I package in 4 nights of private dinners at his restaurant and then we go out into Las Trancas to a different restaurant within walking distance, on the other nights. We also have a cultural day where we head to Chillan and have a private wine tasting and then a meal cooked in a friends restaurant. It's basically an eating trip with skiing..... Lol! Yes, I find that there is great diversity to the terrain at Nevados de Chillan and there is more than enough to keep us going for 8 days. The ability to easily find fresh lines, is what keeps us going back each summer. I have room for more if you want to come....

- Matt

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Matt, do you always visit Chilllan early-mid season? Since we have such nice summer skiing in the Pac NW, we thought about visiting Chillan late season, September. Ski touring might be better late season.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
40cm's of new snow fell during the morning, today at Nevados de Chillan. 8 more days of snow are in the forecast! Crazy days.....

- Matt