• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) 2022 Chile Trip Report - Nevados de Chillan

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Matt, do you always visit Chilllan early-mid season? Since we have such nice summer skiing in the Pac NW, we thought about visiting Chillan late season, September. Ski touring might be better late season.

It just depends when my guests want to go. This season, I have a group from the 10th to the 20th August, then I have a day off and the next group starts on the 22nd till the 1st September. We do have another timeslot after that (3rd - 13th Sept) but I haven't had any takers for that so far. I'm booked to fly out on the 1st back to Denver.

I personally like the first and second sessions just because it is a bit closer to mid-winter conditions and storms are more consistent, but we seem to be able to still tour as much as we want during that time anyway. By the time that 3rd session comes around, then yes, it's definitely moving to more spring-like conditions and the sun is a bit more frequent. Yes, ski touring is a bit more consistent at that time of the year, but fewer powder days. The ski touring is great in Nevados de Chillan in general though, you can get pretty high up on the Volcan Nevados de Chillan by that time later in the season.....

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I can't see any of the photographs other than post #9.
Anyone got an idea why?
Those are all posts taken from Facebook and I believe they are public so should be able to be viewed here? Not sure if you have to be a follower of those pages to see the posts though, but we'd only know that if other people couldn't see them? Otherwise, I'm not sure.....

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those are all posts taken from Facebook and I believe they are public so should be able to be viewed here? Not sure if you have to be a follower of those pages to see the posts though, but we'd only know that if other people couldn't see them? Otherwise, I'm not sure.....
FWIW I don’t see them either. And I’m not on FB.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Another cheeky 100cm's of new snow in the forecast from today till Thursday....... and then another pulse on Sunday and Monday!

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
wait, when is this? How much more room do you have??

Next month! This is a commercial trip, just a heads up on that, but I have room for a few more people, just depends on the accommodation situation and how many rooms are left. I'm giving up my remaining unreserved rooms on the 15th July..... send me a PM and I can send you the info.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow sounds like the Southern Hemi is the place to be. Glacier skiing in Europe is cooked with heat. Maybe Greenland. Winter in Antsrtica is not a good idea.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Wow sounds like the Southern Hemi is the place to be. Glacier skiing in Europe is cooked with heat. Maybe Greenland. Winter in Antsrtica is not a good idea.

Well it is this year, at least. All of the Southern Hemisphere is having a great season so far, but it's not always like that. I find Chile, especially as you head further south, seems to be pretty consistent. I've not had a poor season yet in Nevados de Chillan. I hope I haven't massively tempted fate there...... now it won't snow the entire time we are there!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well it is this year, at least. All of the Southern Hemisphere is having a great season so far, but it's not always like that. I find Chile, especially as you head further south, seems to be pretty consistent. I've not had a poor season yet in Nevados de Chillan. I hope I haven't massively tempted fate there...... now it won't snow the entire time we are there!

Wish you had not said that... you have (wrt the bolded). ;) Please do the salt tossing thing.

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
I had a friend send me some photos from Nevados de Chillan today. Looks like the current storm is just starting to peter out today, but then it picks up again this weekend with another round of heavy snow, with 47 cm's of snow at mid-mountain in the forecast. 3.5 weeks till we will be there....

293109712_370688075201634_2254539370888426500_n.jpg 293256244_569895614869705_4829939139069166735_n.jpg 293257305_766945394441431_272942402745482259_n.jpg 293267448_1793869127622254_8104314279660528076_n.jpg 293398374_1154291288450877_1231410119720376109_n.jpg

Conditions look amazing!

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
The sun was out today in Nevados de Chillan and I finally got to see a photo from the upper mountain. There's plenty of snow in the Cornicia area..... this was from the Nevados de Chillan Facebook page.

293938847_8389277071086033_6975782392895352161_n.jpg

T-minus 19-days till departure. My mountain bike injuries are healing nicely. I think 1 more week till the ribs are 100% and my broken finger is about halfway to healing. The doctor said today that the rotation he was seeing in the bone in the break area is now starting to straighten out as it heals. No wonky finger! Stoked..... More snow in the forecast for the weekend, things are shaping up nicely.

- Matt

TS
Mattadvproject

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Looking glorious in Nevados de Chillan today. Snagged this photo from their Facebook page today. Almost time to head off. Will be heading down to Denver on Sunday night and then flying out Monday morning. There's a decent storm on the horizon for the weekend, but then nothing in the forecast after that for at least the next week. Hopefully that changes.......

297238479_8459225354091204_4313261713639342892_n.jpg

Finished up with the Occupational Therapist today. Done with the doctors, they did a great job and very relieved that the trip is happening. Just can't fall on the little finger as it's still not healed fully. Can hold my ski pole and a cold beer, so should be right. Next update will be the start of the trip proper and the day to day reports. Until then......

- Matt

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Finished up with the Occupational Therapist today. Done with the doctors, they did a great job and very relieved that the trip is happening. Just can't fall on the little finger as it's still not healed fully. Can hold my ski pole and a cold beer, so should be right. Next update will be the start of the trip proper and the day to day reports. Until then......

- Matt
Focusing on the important parts is important. The real question though is can you hold a Merquen Pisco Sour and cut a big slab of meat at Oliva's? :roflmao: Have fun Matt and hope you get pounded...by snow.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January