• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 DPS Foundation Wailer 100 RP

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: It is true that RP in DPS’s model name means Resort Powder, but in the case of the all-new Foundation Wailer 100 RP, it should mean Really Playful. DPS abandoned the more traditionally shaped Wailer 99 to adapt the proven five-point sidecut from its cornerstone model, the Wailer 112 RP, and brought it down to the broader appeal of 100 width.

Insider tip: If you want a bit more uphill performance, step up to the Alchemist construction.​
Review updated from 2020

Awards
Who is it for?
Those who like to grin when they are skiing; the 100 RP is more fun than a basketful of puppies.
Who is it not for?
Figure 11 skiers; the 15m radius means the 100 RP wants to turn, and turn a lot.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
  4. Park/Pipe
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
171, 179, 184, 189
Dimensions
134-100-119
Radius
15m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

Craig@Vail

Booting up
Skier
I have 90+ sessions in Vail on this DPS F100rp. The color changed to green this year, but it is the same ski as last years yellow top sheet. Recommended factory tuning (.7 bottom/1 degree side) detune tip tail to preference, more aggressive to cambered edge contact point on tip tail section, and feather decambered section to contact points. The 184cm is ideal for my 6’1” and 185lbs. I have typically skied 180cm length, in this approx weight and width ski. This ski falls into the heavier, stiffer category. I do use demo bindings, which slightly increase weight and stiffness. The recommended mount point is ideal.
Pros:
Ideal single quiver ski for the Rockies lift serviced terrain, and directional skier
Superb carving ski with 15m turn radius (if you love to carve or want to improve your carving skills….look no further)
Excellent edge (smooth and linear engagement, loves high edge angles)
Prefers weight forward to neutral stance, driving the tip
Superb in pow for width
Very good-excellent damping (stability), characteristic of bamboo core and heavier weight
Durable construction (another characteristic of this core), and top sheet. I also have the current DPS F106 c2, and have 90+ days on that ski. Both continue to perform as new when properly tuned.
Very good-excellent in soft and pow bumps
Will make you a better skier!
Cons:
Does not reward smeared or skidded turns
If you like to ski a flat ski, or you typically ride in a weight back position, there are better choices
It is not a “loose ski”
If hard, large, skied off bumps are your priority, there are better choices
If light weight is your priority over damping and stability, or your looking for a 50/50 ski, check out the Alchemist construction (A100 rp)

DollarBill

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Bumping this old thread.
@Craig@Vail - can you share your experience and opinions on the F106C2? It sounds like it might be a good "travel" ski for me when I head out to CO from the east, with my primary reservation about the ski based on hand flexing and reviews is that it might be on the too stiff side of the universe for my taste/use. Thoughts?

I'm a 170 lbs. directional skier who prefers dynamic skiing to slarvey and/or full on charge through everything skiing and like a ski I can manage into a variety of turn shapes. As a ski comparison, I'm currently skiing Mantra M6 as my all mountain east ski and find it pretty perfect. I'm looking for a compliment/travel ski that is perhaps a bit more soft snow centric, slightly more accessible and a better pow ski without giving up too much in terms of all mountain versatility.

The discontinued F106C2 are available for decent discounts, hence the ask.

Thanks in advance.

DollarBill

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have 90+ sessions in Vail on this DPS F100rp. The color changed to green this year, but it is the same ski as last years yellow top sheet. Recommended factory tuning (.7 bottom/1 degree side) detune tip tail to preference, more aggressive to cambered edge contact point on tip tail section, and feather decambered section to contact points. The 184cm is ideal for my 6’1” and 185lbs. I have typically skied 180cm length, in this approx weight and width ski. This ski falls into the heavier, stiffer category. I do use demo bindings, which slightly increase weight and stiffness. The recommended mount point is ideal.
Pros:
Ideal single quiver ski for the Rockies lift serviced terrain, and directional skier
Superb carving ski with 15m turn radius (if you love to carve or want to improve your carving skills….look no further)
Excellent edge (smooth and linear engagement, loves high edge angles)
Prefers weight forward to neutral stance, driving the tip
Superb in pow for width
Very good-excellent damping (stability), characteristic of bamboo core and heavier weight
Durable construction (another characteristic of this core), and top sheet. I also have the current DPS F106 c2, and have 90+ days on that ski. Both continue to perform as new when properly tuned.
Very good-excellent in soft and pow bumps
Will make you a better skier!
Cons:
Does not reward smeared or skidded turns
If you like to ski a flat ski, or you typically ride in a weight back position, there are better choices
It is not a “loose ski”
If hard, large, skied off bumps are your priority, there are better choices
If light weight is your priority over damping and stability, or your looking for a 50/50 ski, check out the Alchemist construction (A100 rp)
Bumping this old thread.
@Craig@Vail - can you share your experience and opinions on the F106C2? It sounds like it might be a good "travel" ski for me when I head out to CO from the east, with my primary reservation about the ski based on hand flexing and reviews is that it might be on the too stiff side of the universe for my taste/use. Thoughts?

I'm a 170 lbs. directional skier who prefers dynamic skiing to slarvey and/or full on charge through everything skiing and like a ski I can manage into a variety of turn shapes. As a ski comparison, I'm currently skiing Mantra M6 as my all mountain east ski and find it pretty perfect. I'm looking for a compliment/travel ski that is perhaps a bit more soft snow centric, slightly more accessible and a better pow ski without giving up too much in terms of all mountain versatility.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply

Craig@Vail

Booting up
Skier
Bumping this old thread.

Thanks in advance.
Hello, sorry for the delay. I had 90+ sessions on the F106C2 185cm. I am 185lbs,6’1”. This was the correct length for my profile. I have had 2 each F100rp 184cm (my favorite big mountain, all mountain ski for my Vail terrain), F112rp 184cm, Koala 118 184cm in my quiver as well. I have also skied the Mantra M6, great ski, excelled on groomed terrain, less so off piste, prefer the F100rp, or the Blizzard Bonafide as an all-around. The 106C2 is a directional ski, like the Mantra, but better off piste. Compared to the F100rp it has a longer turn radius but still a good carver on groomed terrain. Average float in pow for its width, but with great stability you don’t need to see your skis, and provides more face shots! This stability also provides a great ride in cut up conditions. I had some great bottomless days on this ski. It is not a great bump ski, but soft bumps are just fine in this 185 length. You may find the next size down from the F185 a more versatile choice for your weight, unless you go with the lighter weight construction, which I would up size in length. My current quiver is the F100rp, Koala 118 , and Liberty Genome 187cm (which I have not skied for a couple seasons). Sold everything else, and don’t miss them. Hope that helps. Craig

Sponsor