• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Dynastar Teaser

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I really wish dynastar made the 108 in a185. The 182 skis really well but it would be even better a touch longer.

Same! There is another 185lb skier on TGR this afternoon wanting a 108 shorter than his powder skis but longer than 182cm his weight. 172cm, 180cm, 186cm and 192cm would be perfect!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the 182 is fine, especially if you stay forward, its actual length is just under 182 which means its actual length is the same as many 184's however, if it was another two cm's longer..... I am skiing it tomorrow at +1 to see if it helps. I have a feeling it will. It is so much fun to ski, I wouldn't want to change the characteristics of what make this ski a blast.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
the 182 is fine, especially if you stay forward, its actual length is just under 182 which means its actual length is the same as many 184's however, if it was another two cm's longer..... I am skiing it tomorrow at +1 to see if it helps. I have a feeling it will. It is so much fun to ski, I wouldn't want to change the characteristics of what make this ski a blast.

The 182cm measures 181.5cm and the 192cm measures 189.25cm. I’d go around -1cm on the 182cm to make it ski longer/less loose and +1 or so on the 192cm to make it ski shorter and less critical of stance. Think I was on the line on the 182cm and plus 1.5cm on the 192cm when I demoed them.
I wouldn’t doubt I’ll buy the 192cm on a March deal.....lol

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
on the 182 Im going +1 to add to the balance of the fore/aft. its -7.75 mount point allows a little movement forward to possibly better balance the ski

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
They would already have my $ w/ a 108 @ 185.

Dont rule it out yet! Seriously, this skis longer than the 182 indicates. Im testing again this AM and I will report back. I have 3 good powder days on it and I honestly do not feel it's too short, Im 5' 11+ and 175, for skiing tight terrain, its a blast. its only occasionally did I think I wanted more length. @dusty and I were skiing around some "fun" terrain and I popped off a small snow covered tree and if there was a tad longer tail, I would have stuck it.... Couldn't be the skier though. :ogcool:

where I had felt it was a little short was on steep faces with large bumps and I was looking for a longer wheelbase, I am thinking the -7.75 mount may be the culprit, going +1 should equalize the ski and provide that more balanced feel. The ski's sweet spot is Gi-normous so going back isn't the issue, the tips are plenty stiff (for a pow stick) and supportive so moving forward seems logical.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Ron -I’ll keep an open mind, but I’m a tad bigger than you and don’t want something 189-190 or whatever the big size is. I’m sure I’ll have a chance to try the smaller one out soon.

Reactions: Ron

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good luck with the binding experiments @Ron!

On the Dynastar thread on TGR, there has been LOTS of people discovering the greatness of that ski and most getting the 192cm as they are usually 200lbs plus and ski open areas. The general consensus on there is that if your 175lbs plus go 192cm but that’s kinda of long for those near that weight who ski tighter areas.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
so I skied the 108 this am in 6-8" of light snow but the base had freeze/thawed from yesterday. I started out at +1 but they were too turny, moved them back 1 click or about 3mm and settled there. 6-8" is kinds overkill for a 108 ski but it was deeper in many tree shots that hadn't been skied yesterday. this small adjustment felt good here, just felt more balanced on steep bumped terrain I think it will feel even better when it gets appropriately deeper.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year at an industry only Rossi/Dynastar 20/21 demo here at Loveland, both Rossis and Dynastars, many Rossis, had that same "marbled" graphic, including all or nearly all the Black Ops, so that isn''t something new. The Dynastars were mostly in black, with a few "marbled," the Rossis mostly in marble. Once the skis actually came out to the public, the graphics had changed: so the marbled thing turned out to be mostly for prototypes that year.

So this year looks like the discarded prototype 20/21 look has stepped forward for Dynastar, instead of the Black Ops that I skied on then.

Odd changes. Maybe some day someone can use some of those faux marble top skis to make table tops, counter tops, or even fancy chairs.

But then, Rossi/Dynastar are not alone. The Atomics/Salomons have been doing a strange look of their own - a theme of crude Ink outline drawings of mountains on skis from both brands. Kinda ugly - and also amateurish looking graphics. A money-saving look.

All four brands could use some graphic skills/inspiration from Praxis skis, or refugees from Ski Logik. Or from the Rossi race ski department.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
I have a question that I hope someone can answer. How does the M-Free 108 feel when skiing compared to a Legend 106, a Cham 107 (the first generation with metal) or the Cham 107 2.0?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Stev rather than compare, the all new M-Free has a wonderful damp and solid feel with good energy and pop. They correctly gave it a new name as its not like the other skis of their past.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
@Stev rather than compare, the all new M-Free has a wonderful damp and solid feel with good energy and pop. They correctly gave it a new name as its not like the other skis of their past.
Thank you. I'll need to demo these skis. Having both damp and pop in the same sentence while describing a ski sounds pretty amazing.
The Cham 107s are my all-time favorite ski so far. I have bought 4 pairs of these and keep skiing them until I pretty much wear them all out.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
with the PU layer in the core, there are a couple new skis, the Dynastar and the new Libertys (PU in the sidewalls) that have a really damp quiet feel but when paired with the wood cores, the skis still retains their liveliness. The old notion that a damp ski had to be dead is gone!

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I skied the Dynastar M-Free 108's today in literally knee to waist deep light blower. One of the best days I can recall Was with @Drahtguy Kevin on his 187 4FRNT MSP's (I believe). Here's why the M-Free 108 isn't too short now that I moved the bindings up to -7 back from center. (they were -7.75). the ski is balanced now and was spot-on when charging steep terrain, big powder bumps, tight aspens.

Note our shovels are almost the same length from the toe piece and only a few Cm's at best shorter.

C36E3ADC-B48D-4F6C-871B-AF9DBB64F507_1_201_a.jpeg
E9CCB400-63A5-42AF-ABAA-A56DFB48BADC_1_201_a.jpeg
766AD06D-F490-4162-9DB5-994F787EB5DD_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil, maybe you should suggest "Dynastar Teaser" as a 2023 model name.

Not a ton to talk about here yet other than the the new M-Free 99, which seems to be the ski that everyone has interest in. I will cut to the chase, it lives up to the hype, this is one fun bugger of a ski. The 185 has an 18m radius (IIRC) and is darn playful. The 98-100 "resort powder" segment is growing, and there is no doubt that the M-Free 99 will be on many skiers' short lists. The only caveat is to size up, because it skis short. The M-Pros we got on are all carryover skis -- not a bad thing, because they are also very good skis.

View attachment 124120

View attachment 124123

View attachment 124121

View attachment 124121

Sponsor